Pairs free skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Pairs free skate

gioccia

On the Ice
I liked:
1) the young Chinese - they have so much energy, the girl is adorable
2) both American pairs, especially the first one, it's their first year.
3) I haven't liked Dube since she won the World bronze, she's been falling all the time, like Mukhortova thus letting down her partner. The other Canadian pair makes progress every year, good for them. But something in them is not enough to be in the top three.
4) B/L - boting, too many errors. I'd rather see Davankova/Deputat as the third couple.
5) K/S - beuatiful program as all of theirs, Moskvina knows how to touch the hearts. Isn't it time for them to retire though...I'm sad coz I think they should have not come to Worlds and let down their country. It could have been the Euro bronze medalists, at least they could have tried themselves in the Worlds.
6) VT - a terrific comeback. If only they had skated the SP without a major mistake.
7) SS - I'm a huge fan of theirs. They have a unique styke. However I find this year's LP not good enough. They used to have much better programs. No major mistakes so I can't agree with them being SO behind VT in the LP.
I'm happy with the podium though)))

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I liked:
1) the young Chinese - they have so much energy, the girl is adorable
2) both American pairs, especially the first one, it's their first year.
3) I haven't liked Dube since she won the World bronze, she's been falling all the time, like Mukhortova thus letting down her partner. The other Canadian pair makes progress every year, good for them. But something in them is not enough to be in the top three.
4) B/L - boting, too many errors. I'd rather see Davankova/Deputat as the third couple.
5) K/S - beuatiful program as all of theirs, Moskvina knows how to touch the hearts. Isn't it time for them to retire though...I'm sad coz I think they should have not come to Worlds and let down their country. It could have been the Euro bronze medalists, at least they could have tried themselves in the Worlds.
6) VT - a terrific comeback. If only they had skated the SP without a major mistake.
7) SS - I'm a huge fan of theirs. They have a unique styke. However I find this year's LP not good enough. They used to have much better programs. No major mistakes so I can't agree with them being SO behind VT in the LP.
I'm happy with the podium though)))

I don't get how many say B/L boring , classical = boring ?
I think Bazarova has gorgeous lines, their lifts are amazing, if only they can fix their sbs inconsistencies
I don't think D/D will replace B/L by 2014, D/D will not even be eligible for seniors until 2013
even S/H who have a couple of seasons already as seniors are still not refined and considering Davankova will only be 15 in 2014

tampro1

Rinkside
The crowd actually thinks they should have placed ahead of D/R or K/S? :confused:

Give me maturity and better skating skills over big tricks any day!

and you get Laura Lepisto on the podium with double jumps :laugh: I have to admit I enjoy the thrill of the big tricks...but in S/H defense, what they have over most of the other teams is daring, speed and a ton of charisma. Once they clean up their overall skating, they will be difficult to beat.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
My thoughts on the paris FS:
1) T/T new stars!! Whoever taught them their elegant skating should teach S/H how to skate.
2) T/T's twist!! They were able to do double only last season. This season their triple is top notch. Whoever taught them their twist should teach K/S how to twist.
3) Congrats to P/T & K/S for fighting against ageism.

cutesonic

Rinkside
and you get Laura Lepisto on the podium with double jumps :laugh: I have to admit I enjoy the thrill of the big tricks...but in S/H defense, what they have over most of the other teams is daring, speed and a ton of charisma. Once they clean up their overall skating, they will be difficult to beat.

I feel the same. Someone's prejudice seems so ridiculous. Anyway, SH would rise definitely in the coming seasons to Sochi.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I liked:

Let down their country? You would have rather they sent Stolbova and Klimov instead of Kavaguti and Smirnov? :eek:

What place do you think S/K would have got? 10th or 11th, certainly not 7th and that was with 2 major lift issues, without those they would have had a medal.

And don't forget if it wasn't for Smirnov's unfortunate surgery 3 months ago S/K wouldn't even have a medals from Europeans.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Let down their country? You would have rather they sent Stolbova and Klimov instead of Kavaguti and Smirnov? :eek:

What place do you think S/K would have got? 10th or 11th, certainly not 7th and that was with 2 major lift issues, without those they would have had a medal.

And don't forget if it wasn't for Smirnov's unfortunate surgery 3 months ago S/K wouldn't even have a medals from Europeans.

I think he wanted Davankova/Deputat for the 3rd spot ( Age ineligibles for seniors )

if they sent the alternate, Stolbova/Klimov would have finished below Berton/Hotarek and Russia would have gotten 2 spots, so no S/K are no options
K/S had many mistakes and they have not competed since GPF and had injuries

Ilvskating

Final Flight
And anyone else that had happened to, where a fall just so severely affected the flow of the program would have been nailed for that and nailed hard at that. That was not a Top 5 performance and shouldn't have happened.

they got hit hard already. just look at the PCS. That's considerable lower if you look at the margin with other teams. as happy as I am for T/T, hasn't there PCS jumped considerably? Even themselves were totally surprised. there PB increases by 10 points with one major mistakes on the 3S,down graded, and a two-foot landing on throw. that' s about the same level as what they did before, only difference is that she did not fall. but not rotating the jump is more costly. so all of a sudden 10 points more. judging is just so subjective. I really love T/T' s genuine reaction and theft are so cute and beautiful. I love them for quite a while. this is not raining on their parade. even the commentators didn't expect them winning. I guess
ISU were sending a message to P/T to compete the whole year or go home.
V/T were on fire and that was a superb LP! . aliona was cute to improvise at the end to fill the extra few seconds, an off night but congratulations for the 4th title.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
they got hit hard already. just look at the PCS. That's considerable lower if you look at the margin with other teams. as happy as I am for T/T, hasn't there PCS jumped considerably? Even themselves were totally surprised. there PB increases by 10 points with one major mistakes on the 3S,down graded, and a two-foot landing on throw. that' s about the same level as what they did before, only difference is that she did not fall. but not rotating the jump is more costly. so all of a sudden 10 points more. judging is just so subjective. I really love T/T' s genuine reaction and theft are so cute and beautiful. I love them for quite a while. this is not raining on their parade. even the commentators didn't expect them winning.

You are raining on their parade.
Their PCS was 6th or 7th in the short, 5th or 6th in the long program. Both time behind B/L who were skating to god know which music because there was no interpretation of anything. If anything, they were robbed on PCS, even on their winning day.
B/L should score about 10 points lower than their actual score. Their IN, PE, CH should be in the 4 or 5s. Even junior teams interpret and skate better programs than B/L.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
May I remind everyone that the guidelines are very clear on skater privacy. If it has not been reported by a reputable media source or the skaters themselves, then it's tabloid fodder and not appropriate here. If they are trying to keep it just when "no one is looking" that means they want to keep it private, and we honor skater, coach, official, and poster privacy. There are plenty of other outlets for the gossip. It doesn't need to be an announcement, but if they aren't talking about it to make it "official" then it's not your job to do it for them. Even if "everyone already knows about it."

Last edited:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I feel really sorry for S/H. missing one lift and then 16 points lower than their PB when everything else was just as good. is this still a sport? it's a myth.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think they put the wrong pair up front for China's best team at this worlds, S/H should've been the top ranked team yesterday

tdnuva

On the Ice
Today I was finally able to watch (most of) the routines thru completely.

What I still don't get (a common problem btw) is why everybody thinks the program components for V&T vs. S&S are completely right. Skating skills and execution - ok on this night. Transitions one could discuss. But concerning choreography / composition / interpretation I have questions for V&T. What was this routine choreographed about? In general I'd say it is the usual ballet program to classical music as we know it for decades. Except the costumes and Maxim's fierce look at the end I can find no connection to the movie Black swan (if that was intended at all). Don't get me wrong, their ballet routine was skated very well and with lot of energy - and special kudos to their comeback after the sp. But in those parts of the components S&S should have way more points than V&T imho.

My only interpretation is that the judges do not judge according to their guidelines and still prefer the old style. But heck - I loved that style in the 80s with Gordeeva & Grinkov (still do) and I have to say I am glad that there are skaters and choreographers who notice that 30 years have passed. And V&T's sp is to modern music, but the choreography does not match it either for me.

This innovative approach in choreography is what I like about S&S's routines. And it seems to me that the judges have other intentions. One question: how old are they?

Ilvskating

Final Flight
k/S skated so beautifully that I could hardly think that were them. this is the first time I really enjoy their skating. wish the m luck for next season. Just wow for that carry lift! the whole program cast a spell. now I consider them as first class skaters.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I feel really sorry for S/H. missing one lift and then 16 points lower than their PB when everything else was just as good. is this still a sport? it's a myth.

Sui & Han's scores as 4CC were very inflated. They received huge GoE on the quad twist which was under-rotated and she crashed into his shoulder. They also received big GoE on the quad throw which was also flawed. The have no unison, and their skating skills are weak. Yes, big tricks are big, but they're not clean, and in this crowd, their juniorish presentation looked weak beside the grown ups. Here, their marks were more relatistic, based on their skills.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sui & Han's scores as 4CC were very inflated. They received huge GoE on the quad twist which was under-rotated and she crashed into his shoulder. They also received big GoE on the quad throw which was also flawed. The have no unison, and their skating skills are weak. Yes, big tricks are big, but they're not clean, and in this crowd, their juniorish presentation looked weak beside the grown ups. Here, their marks were more relatistic, based on their skills.

couldn't have said it better
I knew they would never get that hyperinflated scores at 4CC here in Worlds Championships
other than their trick have poor skating skills, they need to learn from T/T

their big trick the quads arent even stable

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm, I would have had the overall standings at this competition as:

01. Savchenko/Szolkowy (gutsy 3Axel attempt in the SP, completed decently enough, and a very strong LP even if not their best)
02. Volosozhar/Trankov (thought their LP was overscored but it was indeed the best and deserved to pull them up this far)
03. Takahashi/Tran (how nice to see them skate so well)
04. Duhamel/Radford (strong and pleasant all-around except for 1 mistake in each program, just not truly special in any regard)
05. Kavaguti/Smirnov (such a wonderful LP, they are a bit underscored on the PCS for this program as usual and judged a little too harshly in the SP)
06. Sui/Han (surprised to see them in 9th, the lift mistake obviously hurt a lot but I think their PCS were too low as a result of backlash against their overscoring at other competitions)
07. Pang/Tong (very overscored on reputation; they gave lackluster performances and made so many mistakes)
08. Bazarova/Larionov (a solid but unremarkable pair; made plenty of mistakes and got a Russian bonus)
09. Denney/Coughlin (ICK, ICK...but they do have good technical consistency)
10. Marley/Brubaker (there's talent here but they definitely need more consistency and a better suited LP)

StellaCampo

On the Ice
k/S skated so beautifully that I could hardly think that were them. this is the first time I really enjoy their skating. wish the m luck for next season. Just wow for that carry lift! the whole program cast a spell. now I consider them as first class skaters.

Before the FS I thought they had run out of steam but I would revise my opinion. They were exquisite. Shame about the aborted lift - I put it down to Smirnov's operation. Technically they have 3 issues: 1) go for 3Tx3T seq or 2Ax2A? 2) fix the crashy twist, 3) new lifts. But I don't really care. What I look for in them is sheer beauty, creation of atmosphere and illumination of the music. To me these are of higher value and longer lasting than medals. I look forward to the next season.

UnChosen

On the Ice
couldn't have said it better
I knew they would never get that hyperinflated scores at 4CC here in Worlds Championships
other than their trick have poor skating skills, they need to learn from T/T

their big trick the quads arent even stable

Or they can just work on getting their elements more stable and increase technical difficulty and GoE instead. Pair and Ladies are currently the most boring disciplines IMO because technical difficulty are regressing/stalled while every team/skater is trying to be exactly the same by milking SS and skating to the same music/style over and over. It would've been the same for the men if Chan didn't increase his technical difficulty from no 3A/4T to one 3A and two 4T.

I love S/H as well as D/R, as well as S/S more recently because they're trying something different. Quads, difficult single jumps, throw 3A and innovative choreography. Besides China already has another pair team more focused on skating skills in Yu/Jin, it'll provide some nice contrast.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm, I would have had the overall standings at this competition as:

01. Savchenko/Szolkowy (gutsy 3Axel attempt in the SP, completed decently enough, and a very strong LP even if not their best)
02. Volosozhar/Trankov (thought their LP was overscored but it was indeed the best and deserved to pull them up this far)
03. Takahashi/Tran (how nice to see them skate so well)
04. Duhamel/Radford (strong and pleasant all-around except for 1 mistake in each program, just not truly special in any regard)
05. Kavaguti/Smirnov (such a wonderful LP, they are a bit underscored on the PCS for this program as usual and judged a little too harshly in the SP)
06. Sui/Han (surprised to see them in 9th, the lift mistake obviously hurt a lot but I think their PCS were too low as a result of backlash against their overscoring at other competitions)
07. Pang/Tong (very overscored on reputation; they gave lackluster performances and made so many mistakes)
08. Bazarova/Larionov (a solid but unremarkable pair; made plenty of mistakes and got a Russian bonus)
09. Denney/Coughlin (ICK, ICK...but they do have good technical consistency)
10. Marley/Brubaker (there's talent here but they definitely need more consistency and a better suited LP)

I totally agree with your placements. Pang/Tong have been grossly over-scored all season last year and now at this event. Corruption in scoring will always be a part of this sport, unfortunately.