Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
One advantage D/W have is the step pattern in the SDs - the Yankee Polka in the 12/13 season and the Finnstep in the 13/14 season - is very much designed for them. Fast feet puts the European teams at a deep disadvantage, and even V/M will be playing some catchup her.e

maharbaforwards

Rinkside
The tech caller happened to be Canadian.

I'd be pissed off if I were D/W at 4cc because they got dinged badly for levels there and the tech caller was American.
3/4 times they have skated the FD, V/M have gotten a level 4 in the diagonal step sequence. The one time they didn't was at Canadian nationals. Pure coincidence?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
emdee..There is no singles event in ice dance and as NorthernDancers points out, it's the quality of both partners together that makes a team.

I'm not sure you ever could really say that PP was a superior skater to AP..Andrew did have good early training, and you always could see the quality. Although he did not have the advantage of being in a partnership of long duration , he never had the posture problems that Paul still has ( although to a lesser degree ) and Andrew never seemed distant from his partner. Any advantage Paul may have had in edges and power has now been at least equalized , if not surpassed ... and Paul has quite a way to go to equal Andrew's fluid use of his body and genuine seeming expression...now Paul has a partner who is in no way ( at this stage ) the equal of Kaitlyn . I think the international scores W/P have been receiving are proof that they aren't simply relying on emotion. That they can manage to convey emotion is just another feather in their caps.

Sorry if this went OT..now I've run myself out of time I'll have to come back to address the real topic.;)

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Back to the original question--

No. I think it's a dead heat between those two, and the judges show that. Otherwise, V/M would be winning by more than two points. Also, I think their coaching team sees this and will be doing all they can to make sure each team is the best it can be.

Although, truth be told, although each coach on their team may have its own favorite, I think they view that if any of their skaters win, it is a success for the school. If V/M win, it is good for the S/Z school. Same if D/W win...

slipslidin

On the Ice
Back to the original question--

No. I think it's a dead heat between those two, and the judges show that. Otherwise, V/M would be winning by more than two points. Also, I think their coaching team sees this and will be doing all they can to make sure each team is the best it can be.

Although, truth be told, although each coach on their team may have its own favorite, I think they view that if any of their skaters win, it is a success for the school. If V/M win, it is good for the S/Z school. Same if D/W win...

I don't expect to see either team move ahead. In horse racing, two horses with the same trainer run as an 'entry', if either wins your ticket pays off.
This paricular contest is wonderfully entertaining, but the usual scenario, in a case like this, is the arrival of a dark horse that can beat them both.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I don't expect to see either team move ahead. In horse racing, two horses with the same trainer run as an 'entry', if either wins your ticket pays off.
This paricular contest is wonderfully entertaining, but the usual scenario, in a case like this, is the arrival of a dark horse that can beat them both.

Russia is fast trying to improve the chances of its horses.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm afraid their horses might be too lame to make the running.

I don't think they are too lame but I think they are too late- if one of them were to have a break out year, ideally it would have been this oneor at least they'd have made big strides toward closing the gap.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I'm afraid their horses might be too lame to make the running.

Figure skating, in a way, is a lot like the hunger games (if you've read the books or watched the film). Do well, and you get sponsors. There are "game makers," people who control the outcome outside of the game itself. Russia has in more than one occasion shown that it can control the game still.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Figure skating, in a way, is a lot like the hunger games (if you've read the books or watched the film). Do well, and you get sponsors. There are "game makers," people who control the outcome outside of the game itself. Russia has in more than one occasion shown that it can control the game still.

Well it looked like the fed had some influence with B/S winning by a huge margin at CofC despite mediocre skates. But then for some reason their scores kept going down and down. I think they had better performances at Worlds, but yet their FD there was scored five points below their FD at CofC.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The team that skates the best on the day will win. V/M were better at Worlds, D/W better at WTT.