Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White? | Golden Skate

Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White?

With victory in the Four Continents and at Worlds, I think Virtue & Moir have moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White. In my book, they have to now be the favourites for the Olympic title.

The only caveat I would put to that would be that Victoria Sinitsina & Ruslan Zhiganshin have so much potential, that it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they could catch up over the next couple of years, and they will be skating on home soil at the Olympics. If they are good enough in 2 years time, home support will give them a huge boost.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
They were always ahead in my book davis and white did take advantage of tessa Virtue`s injuries the last 3 years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt a new team that is still in Juniors just a couple years before the Olympics can catch up to not only Virtue & Moir and Davis & White but some of the other teams too. Remember V&M and D&W first went to Worlds in 2007 so both teams had nearly 4 years to get experience and establish their reputations before the 2010 Olympics. Also there were injuries to some other top teams that helped propel both teams to the top heading into Vancouver.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
With victory in the Four Continents and at Worlds, I think Virtue & Moir have moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White. In my book, they have to now be the favourites for the Olympic title.

The only caveat I would put to that would be that Victoria Sinitsina & Ruslan Zhiganshin have so much potential, that it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they could catch up over the next couple of years, and they will be skating on home soil at the Olympics. If they are good enough in 2 years time, home support will give them a huge boost.

Not really. The competition today really came down to levels (as I've said all along). The gap there in the FD was 1.5 points, which would be a good chunk of the 2.7 margin V/M had today. Let's remember that levels were subject to the tech committee, not the judges.

As for the actual judging (i.e. the 9 judges), the margin was much smaller. PCS was only .85 down while the margin in +GOE was even less at .35.

So as far as I'm concerned, the judge see them as a fair heat; it's just the tech controller decided to mark D/W with an extra level 3 element.

I think it will continue to be close with those two.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Not really. The competition today really came down to levels (as I've said all along). The gap there in the FD was 1.5 points, which would be a good chunk of the 2.7 margin V/M had today. Let's remember that levels were subject to the tech committee, not the judges.

As for the actual judging (i.e. the 9 judges), the margin was much smaller. PCS was only .85 down while the margin in +GOE was even less at .35.

So as far as I'm concerned, the judge see them as a fair heat; it's just the tech controller decided to mark D/W with an extra level 3 element.

I think it will continue to be close with those two.

The tech caller happened to be Canadian.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'd hardly call it decisive when it's usually by a very small margin of points. This is a great rivalry that's causing both teams to push themselves and that's great for the competition, skating and the fans.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'd hardly call it decisive when it's usually by a very small margin of points. This is a great rivalry that's causing both teams to push themselves and that's great for the competition, skating and the fans.

I wish more would see it your way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think that didn't make a huge difference; V/M were marked down on levels as well. In fact they had the same base value as D/W in the short dance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

:agree:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

One of them was. If the other two disagree (French and Polish), the Canadian is overruled.

As for the question, no they aren't. That said, we saw chinks in the Z/S armour, imo.

And it won't be S/Z to overttake them either. Kustorova will see to that.

emdee

Final Flight
I think the quality of edges and control are on VM's side. However, D&W had three years with no injury and did a lot of catching up. VM now has a full year of training under their belt and next year hope both teams are healthy and the story will be told however the chips fall.

While I am a true blue VM fan I do not blind myself to the fact that D&W have really improved.

I have my doubts about W&P - yes they had a breakout season and I am a proud Canadian but I believe that their edges are not edgy enough and they replace techinique with emotion. K is much improved over the years. Poirier and even Ralph are both very strong skaters and with good partners could be fabulous. What remains to be seen is how Piper improves as I think Poirier is a better technician than Poje and maturity will do wonders for him.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
No, it is much too early to be calling the Olympics. Both teams have their strengths. V/M have struggled with injuries for a couple of years, and now appear to be happy, healthy, and able to train to potential. D/W haven't had those challenges. V/M have some natural gifts with musicality, incredible unison and edges, and connection (the second mark, GOE and some tech), but those don't matter if you don't get the levels. D/W are strong, powerful skaters who have an athletic style, but that doesn't matter if they can't get the unison, connection and edges for the package. When both teams are "on", I think V/M have an edge (pardon the pun). But it really does come down to levels. And that will be decided competition by competition until both teams retire.

There is no way that any other team will catch these 2 teams in Sochi, unless something else happens off the ice, like a coaching change or injury for these 2. I don't think either team would be served by moving at this time. If any of these 2 decide to leave, I think D/W could do it, and just go down the road to K/C rink. They are dramatic skaters, and the K/C choreography would suit D/W. Any other change would be silly and hurt their potential.

W/P impress me. They do need to still work on edges and more complexity in steps, but they have made significant improvements year over year. V/M, D/W, P/B all have many, many years of skating together to rely on. There are no short cuts in dance. You need to put in the hours at the rink, and the competitions, to build unison and edges. W/P have made huge progress. They were politicked down many times in Canada, including the national title last year, but they have taken all of this, set it aside, and kept working and working and improving and improving. The results are evident to all. G/P were egregiously overscored at Nationals...all season really. They are not at the level of W/P. Not even close. They need to spend some time away from the public eye, at the rink, developing real connection, unison, edges, lines...the basics of dance. It's going to take time. It won't happen over night. They won't catch W/P for Sochi. But they have enough good characteristics that the work is worth the effort, and they are young. The future is bright, if they work.

emdee

Final Flight
Agree with you Northern Dancers but I still think that Poirier is the superior skater. They were politicked because on the international stage in their first year P&V were very appreciated whereas W&P were not. I think P&V were more technical while W&P had more soul. W&P are Tessa's age - Paul was just a kid when they first skated seniors and even now I dont think he is even 21 - a baby in terms of dance.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Agree with you Northern Dancers but I still think that Poirier is the superior skater. They were politicked because on the international stage in their first year P&V were very appreciated whereas W&P were not. I think P&V were more technical while W&P had more soul. W&P are Tessa's age - Paul was just a kid when they first skated seniors and even now I dont think he is even 21 - a baby in terms of dance.

Exactly. C/P skated together for more than 10 years, since they were really young kids. They had longevity, and time to be more technical. They grew up together and in skating. W/P were a brand new team. Now G/P are a new team, and as good as he is/was, they are a team, and it will be the sum of the quality of the team that will determine the results. In seeing them this year, they have a ton of work to do to be a team. They are today where W/P were a few years ago, and perhaps a little more behind than that. And that's ok, since they are also a few years younger than W/P. I don't actually think Poirier is superior to Poje. Not anymore.

I agree. And we are so lucky that this rivalry exists and seems to have a certain amount of longevity. Sometimes in skating we've seen a great rivalry for a season or two, and then one or both entities retires. This one gives us two intersecting career arcs that have been at it for more than one Olympic cycle. I hope it lasts until Sochi and beyond.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes I think they have. I also think Davis & White could find themselves vurnerable to being caught and even passed by teams like Weaver & Poje, and a couple of the Russian teams (NOT Bobrova & Soloviev though) by Sochi. Olympic silver is probably going to be as good as it gets for them when it comes to the Olympics.