Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Agree with you Northern Dancers but I still think that Poirier is the superior skater. They were politicked because on the international stage in their first year P&V were very appreciated whereas W&P were not. I think P&V were more technical while W&P had more soul. W&P are Tessa's age - Paul was just a kid when they first skated seniors and even now I dont think he is even 21 - a baby in terms of dance.
    Exactly. C/P skated together for more than 10 years, since they were really young kids. They had longevity, and time to be more technical. They grew up together and in skating. W/P were a brand new team. Now G/P are a new team, and as good as he is/was, they are a team, and it will be the sum of the quality of the team that will determine the results. In seeing them this year, they have a ton of work to do to be a team. They are today where W/P were a few years ago, and perhaps a little more behind than that. And that's ok, since they are also a few years younger than W/P. I don't actually think Poirier is superior to Poje. Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsk8fan View Post
    The tech caller happened to be Canadian.
    That's like saying because tech caller at ladies was japanese, japanese ladies were somewhat held up with levels, ain't it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I'd hardly call it decisive when it's usually by a very small margin of points. This is a great rivalry that's causing both teams to push themselves and that's great for the competition, skating and the fans.
    I agree. And we are so lucky that this rivalry exists and seems to have a certain amount of longevity. Sometimes in skating we've seen a great rivalry for a season or two, and then one or both entities retires. This one gives us two intersecting career arcs that have been at it for more than one Olympic cycle. I hope it lasts until Sochi and beyond.

Medalist
    Then maybe W/P could have gotten bronze?

Banned
    Yes I think they have. I also think Davis & White could find themselves vurnerable to being caught and even passed by teams like Weaver & Poje, and a couple of the Russian teams (NOT Bobrova & Soloviev though) by Sochi. Olympic silver is probably going to be as good as it gets for them when it comes to the Olympics.

Custom Title
    One advantage D/W have is the step pattern in the SDs - the Yankee Polka in the 12/13 season and the Finnstep in the 13/14 season - is very much designed for them. Fast feet puts the European teams at a deep disadvantage, and even V/M will be playing some catchup her.e

Rinkside
    I'd be pissed off if I were D/W at 4cc because they got dinged badly for levels there and the tech caller was American.
    3/4 times they have skated the FD, V/M have gotten a level 4 in the diagonal step sequence. The one time they didn't was at Canadian nationals. Pure coincidence?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    emdee..There is no singles event in ice dance and as NorthernDancers points out, it's the quality of both partners together that makes a team.

I'm not sure you ever could really say that PP was a superior skater to AP..Andrew did have good early training, and you always could see the quality. Although he did not have the advantage of being in a partnership of long duration , he never had the posture problems that Paul still has ( although to a lesser degree ) and Andrew never seemed distant from his partner. Any advantage Paul may have had in edges and power has now been at least equalized , if not surpassed ... and Paul has quite a way to go to equal Andrew's fluid use of his body and genuine seeming expression...now Paul has a partner who is in no way ( at this stage ) the equal of Kaitlyn . I think the international scores W/P have been receiving are proof that they aren't simply relying on emotion. That they can manage to convey emotion is just another feather in their caps.

Sorry if this went OT..now I've run myself out of time I'll have to come back to address the real topic.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 04-03-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Have Virtue & Moir moved decisively back ahead of Davis & White?
    No.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Back to the original question--

No. I think it's a dead heat between those two, and the judges show that. Otherwise, V/M would be winning by more than two points. Also, I think their coaching team sees this and will be doing all they can to make sure each team is the best it can be.

Although, truth be told, although each coach on their team may have its own favorite, I think they view that if any of their skaters win, it is a success for the school. If V/M win, it is good for the S/Z school. Same if D/W win...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Back to the original question--

No. I think it's a dead heat between those two, and the judges show that. Otherwise, V/M would be winning by more than two points. Also, I think their coaching team sees this and will be doing all they can to make sure each team is the best it can be.

Although, truth be told, although each coach on their team may have its own favorite, I think they view that if any of their skaters win, it is a success for the school. If V/M win, it is good for the S/Z school. Same if D/W win...
    I don't expect to see either team move ahead. In horse racing, two horses with the same trainer run as an 'entry', if either wins your ticket pays off.
    This paricular contest is wonderfully entertaining, but the usual scenario, in a case like this, is the arrival of a dark horse that can beat them both.

Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    I don't expect to see either team move ahead. In horse racing, two horses with the same trainer run as an 'entry', if either wins your ticket pays off.
    This paricular contest is wonderfully entertaining, but the usual scenario, in a case like this, is the arrival of a dark horse that can beat them both.
    Russia is fast trying to improve the chances of its horses.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Russia is fast trying to improve the chances of its horses.
    I'm afraid their horses might be too lame to make the running.

I don't think they are too lame but I think they are too late- if one of them were to have a break out year, ideally it would have been this oneor at least they'd have made big strides toward closing the gap.

Figure skating, in a way, is a lot like the hunger games (if you've read the books or watched the film). Do well, and you get sponsors. There are "game makers," people who control the outcome outside of the game itself. Russia has in more than one occasion shown that it can control the game still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast