Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 328

Thread: The state of U.S. Figure Skating

  1. #166
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    I feel that Alyssa has beautiful qualities that Rachael Flatt NEVER had. I am not defending Alyssa but I feel she failed miserably due to her lack of mental toughness. I do not think this disaster is the result of injury. Alyssa is not a good jumper, period. Alyssa needs to retire. She imploded, this is what she does, and it should not have come as a surprise. At this point, we are all so jaded that nothing comes a surprise and no one was to dream/hope about any new ice princesses but we will continue to root for the USA.

    Rachael is just so unappealing and her skating so banal that it angered me greatly when she went to worlds even before the injury debacle. The reason that she was so criticized is that 1) she has never had a great following 2) some did not believe she deserved a spot in the first place 3) Mirai is adored by too many and she was next in line.

  2. #167
    Custom Title DobrinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    I feel that Alyssa has beautiful qualities that Rachael Flatt NEVER had. I am not defending Alyssa but I feel she failed miserably due to her lack of mental toughness. I do not think this disaster is the result of injury. Alyssa is not a good jumper, period. Alyssa needs to retire. She imploded, this is what she does, and it should not have come as a surprise. At this point, we are all so jaded that nothing comes a surprise and no one was to dream/hope about any new ice princesses but we will continue to root for the USA.

    Rachael is just so unappealing and her skating so banal that it angered me greatly when she went to worlds even before the injury debacle. The reason that she was so criticized is that 1) she has never had a great following 2) some did not believe she deserved a spot in the first place 3) Mirai is adored by too many and she was next in line.

  3. #168
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    Sorry, it is just my opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post

  4. #169
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,996
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    I feel that Alyssa has beautiful qualities that Rachael Flatt NEVER had. I am not defending Alyssa but I feel she failed miserably due to her lack of mental toughness. I do not think this disaster is the result of injury. Alyssa is not a good jumper, period. Alyssa needs to retire. She imploded, this is what she does, and it should not have come as a surprise. At this point, we are all so jaded that nothing comes a surprise and no one was to dream/hope about any new ice princesses but we will continue to root for the USA.

    Rachael is just so unappealing and her skating so banal that it angered me greatly when she went to worlds even before the injury debacle. The reason that she was so criticized is that 1) she has never had a great following 2) some did not believe she deserved a spot in the first place 3) Mirai is adored by too many and she was next in line.
    Luckily for Rachael, she is more liked and admired outside of these figure skating boards. (Judging from the awesome crowd of her Stanford classmates who cheered for her, I would think so).

    She may not have the inane talent of Mirai or the "beauty" (as you say) of Alissa, but there's a reason she has managed to be on the Worlds team for three straight years and for me it's that competitive spirit. She commits herself 100 percent to every competition and every skate and fights for every jump. And that's why DESPITE the injury, we did not see a meltdown of the same epic proportions.

    And seriously, Rachael's skating ANGERS you? Gosh...if that's what you get angry about, you sure live a good life.

    ETA: Number of years on World team was wrong...(she did junior worlds in '08).
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 04-01-2012 at 09:45 PM.

  5. #170
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs. P View Post
    luckily for rachael, she is more liked and admired outside of these figure skating boards. (judging from the awesome crowd of her stanford classmates who cheered for her, i would think so).

    She may not have the inane talent of mirai or the "beauty" (as you say) of alissa, but there's a reason she has managed to be on the worlds team for four straight years and for me it's that competitive spirit. She commits herself 100 percent to every competition and every skate and fights for every jump. And that's why despite the injury, we did not see a meltdown of the same epic proportions.

    And seriously, rachael's skating angers you? Gosh...if that's what you get angry about, you sure live a good life.
    lol.

  6. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    the point is, if czisny is completely in the right, then so was flatt. and all the punishment they doled out ought to be taken back. i never said anything about whether i agreed with her PCS pre or post tibia-gate.

    and i am against giving any skater, ever, the benefit of the doubt. judge what is on the ice. i don't care if it is the holy patrick chan himself. if you're injured, apply for a bye and prepare to skate at test-skate. otherwise, no gimmes for anybody, not even wagner, the brightest light in US ladies in half a decade.
    Czisny though is NOT completely in the right. Hardly anyone is saying that. So I dont know what you are getting at. She was in fact totally in the wrong, just as Flatt was late year, and next year I predict Flatt-like dumpage by the USFSA and come Nationals. So really it will be nothing but a rewriting of the Flatt script, despite that Czisny has/once had far more potential as a skater than Flatt ever did.

  7. #172
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    I think the USFSA should make it a requirement for the single skaters to do 1 or 2 summer competitions. I think everyone needs to compete more. Remember when they use to have the Olympic festival. We saw a lot of stars come out of that competition. They should either compete at the competitions we have or come up with some new ones. These single skaters just look scared to compete. They all need more competition. There is just no fight out on the ice, no competitive edge, nothing but fear.
    Last edited by Ina Bauer; 04-01-2012 at 09:48 PM.

  8. #173
    take off the oven mitts
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Ina Bauer View Post
    I think the USFSA should make it a requirement for the single skaters to do 1 or 2 summer competitions. I think everyone needs to compete more. Remember when they use to have the Olympic festival. We saw a lot of stars come out of that competition. They should either compete at the competitions we have or come up with some new ones. These single skaters just look scared to compete. They all need more competition. There is just no fight out on the ice, no competitive edge, nothing but fear.
    they need to train with ashley wagner more often, LOL. she'll set them on fire with her competitive drive.

    seriously, if they start monitoring summer competitions more in order to more successfully dole out JGP's, perhaps what you're talking about will happen even without 'requirements.'

  9. #174
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    I feel that Alyssa has beautiful qualities that Rachael Flatt NEVER had. I am not defending Alyssa but I feel she failed miserably due to her lack of mental toughness. I do not think this disaster is the result of injury. Alyssa is not a good jumper, period. Alyssa needs to retire. She imploded, this is what she does, and it should not have come as a surprise. At this point, we are all so jaded that nothing comes a surprise and no one was to dream/hope about any new ice princesses but we will continue to root for the USA.

    Rachael is just so unappealing and her skating so banal that it angered me greatly when she went to worlds even before the injury debacle. The reason that she was so criticized is that 1) she has never had a great following 2) some did not believe she deserved a spot in the first place 3) Mirai is adored by too many and she was next in line.
    Rachel was good enough to finish 5th at worlds when she was 16 or 17 (I'm sure someone here will know). I disagree with those who say her PCS were inflated. To be honest, on those relatively few occasions when Alissa was clean I thought her PCS were fine too. Rachel got hurt, and is apparently more concerned w/a college education than remaining in tip top skating shape. to that I say good for her. Alissa has always battled nerves and always will. She remonds me a little of Angela Nikodinov another beautiful skater whose nerves usually got to her. History is replete with women like this, but we always also had at least one or 2 women in the US who had nerves of steel and competed for gold at all the top comps. Those days seem to be gone. I have some hopes for Ashley who I love watching but the jury's still out on her. Nagasu reminds me of Sasha in many ways. I liked Zawadski last year but she severely regressed this season for who knows what reason. I'd love to see her get it together. I haven't seen Gracie Gold skate--perhaps she'll be the one to assume the mantle of THAT Americn contender.

  10. #175
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    is czisny an athlete who sweats, exerts herself, suffer pains, tries to achieve greater speed, greater heights on her jumps, is she worthy of a nike commercial, or is she a pampered princess who cannot be asked the usual questions asked of any athlete who performs below what is par for them? is it not sexist to insist she needs coddling, that no one should ever ask her a tough question that might make her cry?
    EXACTLY.

    I just don't get the need to coddle her- not after an epic failure like this. We're talking about someone who found the strength to pick herself up after the disappointment that was the Olympics, change her environment, re-invent herself temporarily, and fight her way back to the top in the US. She's not this delicate flower. She can take it, guys. This was not a show performance- this is a world-class competition with berths on the line for next year. There were expectations for her and she fell WAY short of them. She needs to be held accountable for that. If she was unable to perform for physical or personal reasons, perhaps she should have not been there in the first place.

    It was questionable judgment to go to a competition in Europe just two weeks before Worlds in the same location. In retrospect, it turned out to be a rather poor decision on part of the coaches to send her and Abbott over there and not remain there until Worlds due to the short turnaround time. Very poor thinking from team Czisny, but having said that, I don't even think it would have made a big difference in her performance if she didn't go. She was on the way down from the very beginning. Again- why wasn't USFS on top of things? They're not completely off the hook either.
    Last edited by R.D.; 04-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.

  11. #176
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    I liked Zawadski last year but she severely regressed this season for who knows what reason. I'd love to see her get it together.
    Probably the coaching situation. I feel she could be made into a real contender with the right team behind her. Not sure if the status quo will do it....

  12. #177
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I agree with you- I'm not fighting you on this point.

    But the way USFS had it arranged, Zawadzki would have been picked first (due to 3rd at Natls) before Zhang (4th at Natls). For some reason they skipped over Flatt (6th) and named Nagasu (7th) alternate #3.
    Actually, by strict results, it should have been Gao as the third alternate...

  13. #178
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I don't expect any coach to be able to fix a head case... even Jamie Sale moving to a different coach couldn't fix her fear of the double axel. At the end of the day, the skater has to be ready to go out there and let it fall into place. I don't blame Paul Wylie's coaches for him being a headcase, Jason and Yuka did a great job getting her to a better place, but there's something there that they can't fix - and I don't expect anyone else to be able to either.
    This is what my coach calls "I can't skate the program for you"

  14. #179
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    The nastiness being levelled at Alissa is being rationized/justified in this thread with the argument that Alissa is a tough athlete who should be able to take it, and that fans do this to big time athletes all the time. I would respond by saying that I've always considered people who boo athletes at sporting contests as jerks. No athlete sets out to screw up. Bill Buckner had to leave his home and move away from Boston, because of abusive fans. This shouldn't happen.


    So those of you who feel it necessary to heap abuse on Alissa, just be aware that some of us are going to think you're jerks. It's our perogative to do so because you put those words out here so we feel justified in judging you.

  15. #180
    Custom Title DobrinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    686
    I don't mind being seen as a jerk. I don't attack skaters or athletes but what pisses me off to no end is people making excuses for them, coddling them like they are children, and said athletes not owning up to their B.S. It's okay to **** up and make mistakes, we all do it at some point, but own up to it. I hope many of the people whose coddling Alissa, coddled Rachael last year, otherwise what hypocrites and I feel justified in judging you.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 04-02-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •