Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: The state of U.S. Figure Skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Perhaps Chen Lu in 1997? She went from #1 in 1995 to #2 in 1996 in a really close decisions to barely qualifying at World's in 1997 and then bounced back for Olympic bronze in 1998.
    Two BIG differences in Lulu's situation:

1) Chen Lu was known as a powerful and consistent jumper, something Czisny never was.
    2) Chen Lu was also injured and had troubles with her coaches in 1997, but she was forced to skate anyway because her federation wanted to get spots for the Olympics. Czisny went to Worlds ... to offer her free butt zamboni services, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Tonya Harding was the 1994 US Champion and according to the rules was guaranteed an Olympic berth. That's why she had grounds to sue USFS. But Alissa is not 2012 US Champion and has no guarantee with regard to attending Worlds. She could have been replaced, because she had no grounds for a lawsuit.
    BUT Alissa had already been named to the World Team at Nationals. It was at an event AFTER Nationals that she really bombed. There is no precedent to remove a World Team member unless the rules I quoted were broken and, with the litigious nature of the American society, there's a posibility that she would have sued as they had no grounds to remove her based on the rules as written. Nowhere do I see a rule that says a World Team berth can be revoked due to screwing up at a competition after Nationals.

Tripping on the Podium
    I am done with Alissa. I just can't anymore...22 in the world? 7 falls in one competition? I love her...but I am done.
    Same with Adam. Sorry....you don't got it. Every 4 or 5 competitions he does OK, and everyone is so sure he is on the right track! Then...splat. I have grown to serious;y dislike Mirai and after reading her tweets during 4CC's, she proved to be the immature brat I always thought she was, she just made it public.

Bring on Ashley (who actually FIGHTS) Agnes (who is still brewing) and Gracie. Then, bring on Ross Miner. He has fire, and is slowly growing....

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    My outrage was not that (Michelle Kwan) didn't earn it at Nationals, but that her test skate was not public to even the media and she was in no way prepared. She wasn't about to become a CoP friendly skater, and all of this came to a head when she went to the olys and couldn't do it.
    In retrospect I wonder if the USFSA was pressured by NBC television to get as much PR mileage out of Michelle as possible.

MarkusNJ, can you elaborate on the tweets during 4C? I missed that.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    MarkusNJ, can you elaborate on the tweets during 4C? I missed that.
    Basically, people flipped their lids at a tweet she made while the first groups of ladies were skating their FS at Four Continents- it read something to the effect of "OMG, these girls are scoring 90 points total...smh" (may not be an exact quote, but the "SMH" definitely was in there)

The tweet has since been deleted and she has not been on twitter since

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In retrospect I wonder if the USFSA was pressured by NBC television to get as much PR mileage out of Michelle as possible.
    I doubt it, because I think the USFSA truly wanted Kwan there. She was so steady that if she could somehow manage to regain the jumps in practice you could be confident she would deliver them in the performance. For me, the test skate wasn't necessary because I think you could take Michelle's word that if she said she would be ready, she actually would be ready. If the US team was deeper then maybe I'd understand the controversy but in all honesty everyone knew Emily wasn't a medal threat and Kwan would be.

Custom Title
    Okay, I don't speak text; what's "SMH"?

I had never considered that the USFSA might have been pressured into putting Michelle on the team. That's a sobering thought. But bless her for immediately withdrawing, so Emily Hughes would have time to get over to Italy. And once she did that, she didn't accept the offer to do onscreen commentary for NBC.

I think we all have to remember that the athlete's mindset is not to give up the chance to compete no matter what. So sometimes it looks greedy or ill-advised, but it's just that hungry need to be out there striving for the prize. This is why I didn't resent Plushenko for daring to think he could come back and claw his way to the Olympics. And it turned out that he was right to do so. The only one I've ever been angry at for seizing a place on an Olympic team was Tonya Harding, and there were other factors in that action. I certainly don't blame Michelle for trying to compete in a third Olympics. In any case the comparison to Alissa falls apart at several spots. Michelle, like Elvis Stojko, would have competed on one leg if she could have. Thank goodness she had the decency not to follow that instinct to its natural conclusion, but you can bet it crossed her mind.

Alissa gave up for whatever reason and fell apart. Was it a panic attack? A nervous breakdown of some sort? Whatever it was, that was not in Michelle's vocabulary.

Down With It
    SMH = shake my head

Custom Title
    Actually, Michelle's test skate before the 2006 Olympics was shown publicly---at least a portion of it.

She withdrew because her participation in the opening ceremonies in frigid weather caused a flareup of her hip problem.

Tripping on the Podium
    Mirai was commenting on other the ladies scores...but also tweeted to Phil Hersch about even though Adam Rippon was not great at 4CCs he was great at Nationals when it mattered...Phil responded back "so 4CCs doesnt matter?" I do not know if she tweeted back
    Lots of people responded to her tweets about the first group of ladies and their low scores, repremanding Mirai, and she responded back to many of them making snarky comments...until one tweeter posted that she couldnt even beat Rachael Flatt at Nationals.
    THe entire thing was so so so childish, and reminded me of the comments about when she worked with Charlene Wong about sometimes she would skate up to her, comment on her perfume being to strong, and skate away.
    Brat.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    Mirai was commenting on other the ladies scores...but also tweeted to Phil Hersch about even though Adam Rippon was not great at 4CCs he was great at Nationals when it mattered...Phil responded back "so 4CCs doesnt matter?" I do not know if she tweeted back
    Lots of people responded to her tweets about the first group of ladies and their low scores, repremanding Mirai, and she responded back to many of them making snarky comments...until one tweeter posted that she couldnt even beat Rachael Flatt at Nationals.
    THe entire thing was so so so childish, and reminded me of the comments about when she worked with Charlene Wong about sometimes she would skate up to her, comment on her perfume being to strong, and skate away.
    Brat.
    Exact comment:

Omg these girls are scoring 90 points total...smh
    She also justified her comments by saying this:
    I'm turning into @olyphil = saying my piece and not really caring what others have to say about it Good job Phil.
    The exact exchange Rachael Flatt exchange was this:

@DeBausch: @mirai_nagasu How about you? You couldn't beat @RachaelFlatt Stanford+Skating!! #doubleSMH #thinkbeforeyoutweet #4CC
    Mirai re-tweeted it with the comment "Low blow." Then tweeted this:

Too bad i used my ninja skills and flew over that insult. #bazinga
    Goes to show even if you delete the comments, they never disappear. This website kept all of them: http://www.tweeting-athletes.com/ind...AthleteID=4987

I have to say I am a bit disappointed. Even though she deleted them and realized the error, the fact she thought it was OK to say those things in the first place is definitely not cool. A lot of those girls don't have the training, coaching or funding to score high in competitions like Worlds and 4CC. For Mirai, who has a well-regarded coach, team envelope funding not to mention amazing talent, to make fun of them was sort of demeaning.

I thought it was mean of that poster to point out that Rachael Flatt beat her, but Mirai's response to it was no better.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 04-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    exactly, and I am just done....
    It was insanely childish, just like she has always been, but this time also kinda mean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    exactly, and I am just done....
    It was insanely childish, just like she has always been, but this time also kinda mean.
    Coming from a skater, that's very low class. She's a very fun character, but similar to Patrick, she's not a very good public speaker (she doesn't filter well). I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, that with experience and maturity, she will become a more eloquent speaker.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Coming from a skater, that's very low class. She's a very fun character, but similar to Patrick, she's not a very good public speaker (she doesn't filter well). I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, that with experience and maturity, she will become a more eloquent speaker.
    I'll give her the benefit of the doubt as well and hopeful as well that she'll learn from her various experience. But I don't feel the tweets are comparable to Patrick Chan's comments. At least there, Patrick was responding to leading questions from the media that likely led to the comments. Nobody asked Mirai, "So what do you think of those low ranking skaters?" And she has more than 17,000 followers following her...she should know the consequences of people seeing her comments...

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast