Thread: Men's SP article - Anna Kondakova

Hybrid View

News Men's SP article - Anna Kondakova

Custom Title
    I don't know where to put this so I'll put it here - thanks so much for these incredible articles! They are so detailed and so full of quotes from so many skaters! Very enjoyable to read. I'm heart broken for some of the skaters in various disciplines but it is really interesting and almost reassuring to hear/read them postmortem their skates and prepare for the next ones.

Custom Title
    It's always great to get such detailed descriptions of the event. Thanks to the reporter!

Custom Title
    “I felt good about my quad toe and then calculated if I should add the triple toe after it,” explained the 26-year-old (Daisuke). “It could be better in order to get a higher score. That is what caused my mistake on the triple toe. I should not have been thinking like that. I am not happy about it, but my overall performance was quite good. I am satisfied that I was able to include a quad toe in my short program.”

Did he mean 4T3T + 3Lz will score higher than 4T + 3Lz3T? Is that true?
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 03-30-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    “I felt good about my quad toe and then calculated if I should add the triple toe after it,” explained the 26-year-old (Daisuke). “It could be better in order to get a higher score. That is what caused my mistake on the triple toe. I should not have been thinking like that. I am not happy about it, but my overall performance was quite good. I am satisfied that I was able to include a quad toe in my short program.”

Did he mean 4T3T + 3Lz will score higher than 4T + 3Lz3T? Is that true?
    His thinking has puzzled me too. COP is not combo friendly. The GOE value of a combo is the same as just for the first jump. Mistakes on the second jump can incur negative GOE even if the first jump is perfect so the second jump tacked onto a high value jump can drag down the score but will not add value to it. Most skaters do a quad combo in the SP mainly because quads are usually done with a long straight entry and many find it easier to add another jump to it than one with required footwork entry. Chan can add the second jump to either of the non Axel jumps because they both qualify as having step entry. Some other skaters salvaging the missed combo have to take a penalty when they make the later jump the combo for lack of footwork into the original quad.

In Takahashi's case today, since his 3T was the problem jump, it would have cost him less negative GOE value as part of the 3Lz combo than the quad combo because GOE value for 3Lz and 3Lz combo is lower. I don't understand why he thought the 3T well executed would be worth more as part of the quad combo.

Custom Title
    May be Dai talk about that it is what he think at the moment (which is wrong)?

Or may be he think it will give better impact to the judges?