Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Men Free Skates

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    For once, I felt sorry for Chan. The crowd was just so rude, it was horrible. He didn't give himself those scores. And he landed two clean quads. The audience needs to educate themselves and understand where Chan is separating himself from everyone else.
    Actually, it's the figure skating establishment that needs to educate the audience or this sport is truly is dead. The audience buys the tickets and is basically who advertisers are aiming at. As someone who paid for those overpriced tickets at US Nationals, I want to at least feel like part of the decision making process with my cheers (or boos). The current system is disconnected from audiences. Thats why you see all the empty seats at these events and no TV coverage in the US. It's not just the poor world economy! If the ISU and federations want to increase popularity and $$, they've got to include the audience. Most people buy tickets to be entertained, touched my emotion, etc. That's just not happening as often as it use too. We can't blame skaters or their coaches for whoring the COP with these intricate yet uninspiring and error filled programs.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    At least Chan didn't win by an ridiculous amount of points today. 7 points is not a dominating win and a 3 point win in the LP shows he's not invincible.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    All skaters below 12 place get 16 points, I think. Spain does get 2 spots.
    You're right! I will have to redo all my calculations on the other thread...

Okay rework:
    3 spots: Canada, France and Japan
    2 spots: U.S., Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, and Kazakhstan

Russia still loses a spot however. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koheikun90 View Post
    Asian Domination of the men's event! This counts Patrick Chan, too.

I'm floored about the results. Overall, I felt that Patrick's technical score was fair. However, Daisuke was way underscored in the PCS. I would have given him a 10 in choreography and interpretation. That program is so innovative, so complex. That music is so difficult to interpret. In my opinion, one of the greatest LPs of all time. Yuzuru made me cry and it is the first time I cried over a program. Youthful exuberance for sure, silly fall after the step sequence. But, I am amazed that jumped back up and did a 3axel-3 toe.

I'm actually glad that the audience booed, despite that it's not Patrick's fault he was placed 1st by the judges. Like at the Worlds in Lyon, France in 1970 (I think), the audience booed when Janet Lynn did not medal despite a brilliant free skate because figures were weighted heavier than the FS. This warranted change. The next year, the SP was introduced and figures were reduced for the skater's overall placement. The ISU needs to re-evaluate the scoring system, especially when it comes to deductions. I understand the boos because the audience, who is there live, feeling the energy of each performance, sees a performance that was superior in execution and is beaten by a guy who splatters at the end. A world champion should not be a guy who waxels at the end. SKATING 101, folks. Now, the ISU can take a cue from the FIG gymnastics (although their scoring system is highly debatable, too) to increase the deductions for falls and single jumps. I say that falls should be a mandatory 2-point deduction and all popped singles should be a mandatory -3 in GOE. Also omission on any required element in the SP should be a mandatory 2 point deduction. It would encourage the skaters to focus on the execution of their programs with less falls and have the general public understand and justify the placements. But also increase the point value for quads and 3-axels to encourage skaters to attempt and perfect them in competition. Also in fairness to the skaters, judges should display their marks. Skaters should be able to see what jumps were downgraded during the kiss and cry and coaches should be allowed to submit inquiries. Although, I could understand that it will prolong the scoring process, but it's only fair. As for PCS, skaters who fall should not be given 9+ for execution. Does not make sense. Figure skating, like all sports, is dependent on the popularity of fans to sustain. If this continues, its relevance in society will dissipate.
    Agree with so many things! Great post!

Custom Title
    I'm surprised Florent beat Joubert. I have to see that skate since everyone seems so happy for Brian's skate.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I wonder what Richard Callaghan could do for Jeremy Abbott if he were to switch coaches? Just a thought of frustration. He needs someone who can train him to go on autopilot on those jumps and just gain much better consistency. *SIGH*

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I wonder what Richard Callaghan could do for Jeremy Abbott if he were to switch coaches? Just a thought of frustration. He needs someone who can train him to go on autopilot on those jumps and just gain much better consistency. *SIGH*
    He's a headcase, I don't think it matters who his coach is.

Custom Title
    At least Chan didn't win by an ridiculous amount of points today. 7 points is not a dominating win and a 3 point win in the LP shows he's not invincible.
    It's up to ISU and the judges. If they want, they can make him invincible. I look forward to seeing how far (or low) they can go.

Banned
    When Hanyu fell i thought he would unravel. He's run out of steam in the past in the LP and that fall came out of nowhere but he showed the heart of a champion.
    that is pretty much Hanyu's weakness
    he begins to pass out/run out of breath at the middle of the program

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I fully expect him to retire and will be shocked if he continues on after this. If he were to come back a completely new and better competitor, I would be thrilled to witness it though. I will always be Jeremy's fan and I will always love the many beautiful components of his skating! Whatever he decides, I just hope he is happy with his choice.

Custom Title
    About as low as peole on this board.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    But I have high hopes for Yuzuru, he's such a fighter. I love how he fell and then, 5 seconds later, did a perfect 3A 3T.
    It was a huge 3A. I loved that too.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    It s not just the naive audience disagreeing about the pcs margin, examiner and John Kerr just tweeted about it and they know about fs right? Examiner is a huge fan of chan anyway.. it will be others too commenting on it..
    the overall placement is right anyway and I felt bad about the booing,it doesn't look right to the athletes, but if dai was closer in sp the 5 pcs difference would affect the total outcome..the lp result is not ok, a flawed chan is much better than Dai who had an almost perfect skate and a season best?
    Anyway I m so happy for Dai and Hanyu and congrats to Brian too!!

Custom Title
    Sadly Abbott is like Alissa and Mirai in that he's not a great competitor. I have to say i'm getting tired of watching the American skaters have that puke face look before they skate. Can we finally get someone talented and mentally tough also?

Custom Title
    Videos are up. Here is Kozuka's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcyRnHKUZyo I love his pureness. If he can project himself more and also be more consistent , he is a male Michelle Kwan for me.
    Last edited by Kelly; 03-31-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast