Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1262

Thread: Men Free Skates

  1. #1171
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    He's a dream, a rare, beautiful gem, but I hope the Japanese media gives him some space and allows him to breathe and live life and train comfortably and as normally as possible. I would really hate to see him endure what happened to Midori Ito in the leadup to the Albertville Olympics. The immense weight of overwhelming pressure and expectation was too burdensome for her to endure. Even though she should be nothing but proud of her Olympic silver, there is absolutely no question that she easily could have won the gold given the rather lackluster skating in the LP there.
    The media loves his story of being a 'survivor of the earthquake'. However, Yuzuru doesn't want to let that be an excuse for his poor performances. And I admire that quality in a competitor - making no excuses for his/her mistakes. I don't think he'll be as big as a household name as Mao Asada, but he's definitely going to be one of Japan's media favourites.

    As for Midori, she was the only dominant Japanese female skater at that time (please correct me if I am wrong), so all eyes were on her. At least for Yuzuru, there's Daisuke, Kozuka and possibly Oda to share the burden.

  2. #1172
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    455
    skatinginbc, this is for you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rac1NSgmZPU

  3. #1173
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    I'm not surprised Hanyu's program is getting the most watches. I'm watching it over and over again, I just love that music. Kissing you is such a beautiful piece of music, and its not used over and over again. There's something to that draws you into his skating IMO. Something real and raw IMO.
    Last edited by bekalc; 04-03-2012 at 01:58 AM.

  4. #1174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    I don't know about in European countries though.
    You don't know? Ever heard about that dude Plushenko? The one whose name is on luxury Swiss watches, who was invited to advertise a new brand of Mercedes car a few months ago? Oh, well. What stuff is some 2012 WC advertising? Any contracts? He-he.

    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    However, after visiting those channels, I was surprised to see the following viewing numbers:
    .....
    OMG! I’m speechless. Even though I like Hanyu I totally didn’t expect him to be viewed more than twice as much as Daisuke and Patrick on some of the youtube channels…
    Why are you surprised my dear doctor? Hanyu is basically a discovery of this championships for a lot of people who haven't heard much about him before. It's his first major competition at a senoir level. Moreover, it's his first cleanest performance of LP this season. So, even people who have seen his LP earlier prefer to watch an ideally executed verison than any others. He repeated a record of Yag, Plush and Gachi- he took a bronze medal at his first appearance at Worlds. Well, Plushy is still the youngest in this group- 15yo. He had a tough year in professional terms and a tragic one in personal. He is a disaster surviver. Phoenix reborned from ashes. People love it. So, they watch it.

    And, my dear doctor, do the math right. Dai is viewed more than twice than Chan. If Hanyu is viewed more than twice than Dai, then Chan is viewed four times less than that sweet teen. Great work for some WC, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    So the "real" champion or King of Hearts is Hanyu! I have no problem with it!
    How easily Chan ubers get whored. I actually understand you.

  5. #1175
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    How easily Chan ubers get whored. I actually understand you.
    Don't get me wrong. Now that Patrick is the ISU 2012 World Champion, I don't mind other skaters getting any title. Plus I do love Hanyu. He has big jumps and the artistry as well. I predict he is Patrick's major rival in Sochi.

  6. #1176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    I predict he is Patrick's major rival in Sochi.
    One of major? Likely. But the major #1 for anyone is that old Russian dinosaur, who just said that after what he saw on TV, he regrets that his knee operation didn't allow him to compete in Nice. The gold was quite reachable. For him. Yeah, and keep in mind the audience factor in Sochi. It's a laid back city near the sea too!

  7. #1177
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    One of major? Likely. But the major #1 for anyone is that old Russian dinosaur, who just said that after what he saw on TV, he regrets that his knee operation didn't allow him to compete in Nice. The gold was quite reachable. For him. Yeah, and keep in mind the audience factor in Sochi. It's a laid back city near the sea too!
    WoW, Plushenko said that after watching the top 3's performances? That's bold. But if anyone can say that, it might as well be Plushenko because he has proven to us he can deliver a great performance with a broken leg!

    Not sure about Sochi because when was the last time a male skater won gold during their first outing? However, I predict Hanyu will win the WC in 2014 in Tokyo. It will probably mean a lot to him winning it in his home country and he has all the talent and the ability in the world to do so

  8. #1178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Not sure about Sochi because when was the last time a male skater won gold during their first outing?
    For Kulik I think Nagano was the first Olympics and he took gold there.

  9. #1179
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    For Kulik I think Nagano was the first Olympics and he took gold there.
    You're right - I had to search his records because I thought he went to an Olympics before that. Well, maybe Yuzuru can break another record for being the youngest Men OGM

  10. #1180
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,351
    This Worlds has shown again how difficult it is to follow up an outstanding season. Daisuke had a poor season following the breakout year of Olympic Bronze and Worlds Gold, and last year's lucky Bronze medalists Gachinski and the Shib fell way back. It's all part of the journey. Daisuke is already back in form. It is well known how difficult it is to defend a title. It's a great accomplishment for Patrick even if it was not as pretty as the first one.

  11. #1181
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    For Kulik I think Nagano was the first Olympics and he took gold there.
    Yes, he did that. After Dick Button it took 50 years for that to happen again.

  12. #1182
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    103
    But Kulik was like 21 when he debuted in Nagano and was Russia’s No. 1 skater (Yagudin was Russia’s No. 2). Hanyu will just turn 19 in Sochi. That’s kinda young. With Patrick, Plushy, and Daisuke (Japan’s No. 1 skater) all competing in Sochi I don’t think it’ll be easy for the young teen who’s only Japan’s No. 2 skater to medal there.

    Even if he skates lights out, the judges are going to make him wait until 2018—unless the top three falter or he represents another nation.

    And I think Daisuke is pretty much a lock to win the 2014 Worlds. That’ll be an amazing way to end his career.

  13. #1183
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    But Kulik was like 21 when he debuted in Nagano and was Russia’s No. 1 skater (Yagudin was Russia’s No. 2). Hanyu will just turn 19 in Sochi. That’s kinda young. With Patrick, Plushy, and Daisuke (Japan’s No. 1 skater) all competing in Sochi I don’t think it’ll be easy for the young teen who’s only Japan’s No. 2 skater to medal there.

    Even if he skates lights out, the judges are going to make him wait until 2018—unless the top three falter or he represents another nation.

    And I think Daisuke is pretty much a lock to win the 2014 Worlds. That’ll be an amazing way to end his career.
    I wouldn't say a lock to win, but he has a high chance if he keeps improving technically and artistically. 2014 Worlds are in Japan, and last season he continued to compete so he can end his career at the 2011 Worlds in Japan. I am pretty sure even if he wins the OGM, he will skate at the 2014 Worlds. If he wins with two supreme performances, I swear I will be crying like crazy. To end an amazing career infront of a home crowd is what many skaters dream of.

    Wasn't Patrick 19 during his Olympic debut, and some people expected him to medal? Then again, he was Canada #1 since Jeffrey retired. If Hanyu skates lights out with the performance of his young career, he might be able to medal. Of course, 2018 will be his ultimate goal and honestly, I can see him dominating from 2014-2018 if there are so severe injuries *touch wood* *touch wood*.

  14. #1184
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I wouldn't say a lock to win, but he has a high chance if he keeps improving technically and artistically. 2014 Worlds are in Japan, and last season he continued to compete so he can end his career at the 2011 Worlds in Japan. I am pretty sure even if he wins the OGM, he will skate at the 2014 Worlds. If he wins with two supreme performances, I swear I will be crying like crazy. To end an amazing career infront of a home crowd is what many skaters dream of.

    Wasn't Patrick 19 during his Olympic debut, and some people expected him to medal? Then again, he was Canada #1 since Jeffrey retired. If Hanyu skates lights out with the performance of his young career, he might be able to medal. Of course, 2018 will be his ultimate goal and honestly, I can see him dominating from 2014-2018 if there are so severe injuries *touch wood* *touch wood*.
    I will touch wood with you. I hate to see any skater injured, but especially a dynamite skater like Hanyu. I'm greedy: I want his entire career to play out!

    I will also be crying (and dancing around) if Daisuke skates two supreme performances at 2014 Worlds. I'll wish along with you.

    Plushenko actually said he could have won this year's Worlds? Golly, in anyone else that would be arrogance, but in him it's just the expression of his personality. If that's what keeps him going, good for him. I have a sneaking wish for him to medal at next year's Worlds, except that I'd hate to see any of our other favorites closed out of the medals. Heck, I'd be happiest if there were a two-way tie for gold. (Chan and Daisuke, in case anyone's lost my train of thought.) But it would be so satisfying to see Plushy finish somewhere in the top five. There's something about persistence that warms my heart. And I always like a good age range among champions.
    Last edited by Olympia; 04-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.

  15. #1185
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I will touch wood with you. I hate to see any skater injured, but especially a dynamite skater like Hanyu. I'm greedy: I want his entire career to play out!

    I will be crying and dancing around if Daisuke skates two supreme performances at 2014 Worlds. I'll wish along with you.

    Plushenko actually said he could have won this year's Worlds? Golly, in anyone else that would be arrogance, but in him it's just the expression of his personality. If that's what keeps him going, good for him. I have a sneaking wish for him to medal at next year's Worlds, except that I'd hate to see any of our other favorites closed out of the medals. Heck, I'd be happiest if there were a two-way tie for gold. But it would be so satisfying to see Plushy finish somewhere in the top five. There's something about persistence that warms my heart. And I always like a good age range among champions.
    Plushy predicted "Patrick, Daisuke and Yuzuru" will be his major rivals at Sochi. Hmmm...interesting. It might play out to be that way. If all performs cleanly at Sochi 2014, it will be the battle of the century.

Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •