Men Free Skates | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

skatinginbc

Medalist
Another admiring thing about Chan is that he is constantly improving. His artistry has shown significant improvement although not in the same league with Dai's yet in my opinion. I like the booing because the ISU has shut their ears to the fans for a long time. I don't like the booing because Chan is the one who feels the pain the most. He tried hard to defend his title. And he did, with hard work and skills.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that Chan needed to hear the message directly too. He has to take responsibility for his strategy of cramming as many points as possible into the program so that he wins regardless of "cleanliness" or artistic innovation. It's not just his team forcing him to do that.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Apparently Elvis Stojko just told CBC NewsWorld that Daisuke Takahashi is the best skater in the world, not Patrick Chan.

The CBC figure skating chatstream is blowing up at this comment....

mikeko666

Final Flight
Apparently Elvis Stojko just told CBC NewsWorld that Daisuke Takahashi is the best skater in the world, not Patrick Chan.

I wonder if Chan will get more popular in Canada as he hoped or he'll get more sponsors besides McDonald's.

evangeline

Record Breaker
That's a total surprise. Chan's did more quads than Dai did. Since when has Elvis valued artistry more than jumps?

I can't find the actual interview/comment (only the enraged reactions to Elvis' comments in the CBC chatstream), but I think it was about all those mistakes Chan had? Not sure though.....trying to find the actual interview.

Last edited:

flaneur

On the Ice
Canada has 3 spots? Talk about a country that doesn't have the skaters to fill them. After Chan it's a big falloff.

Well you could say that about almost any other country other than Japan. I mean France has 3 spots too...

Becki

Medalist

He is entitled to his own opinions. I,too, think Daisuke is the best 'overall' skater in the world. But since I am not a former World Champion and OSM, my words don't matter much :p

But let's face it, even as a two time WC, Patrick is not going to get as many sponsors as Daisuke :p FS' popularity in Canada is unfortunately going down the drain :'(

romanoff81

Match Penalty
I find Dai overrated i`m glad the judges agreed with me, his quad did not look clean to me, chan had two quads and one with a triple toe combo, i feel the rest of the world is just jealous of Chan and want to see him lose at any cost.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Elvis must feel insecure of his status in Canadian figure skating. Heroes don't envy. Browning, Cranston, etc, are not afraid to gush over Patrick.

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Judges disagreed with you they are the experts you are not, Dai was just doing a palid imitation of Plushenko with his hip swiveling nonsense.

yuki

Final Flight
I find Dai overrated i`m glad the judges agreed with me, his quad did not look clean to me, chan had two quads and one with a triple toe combo, i feel the rest of the world is just jealous of Chan and want to see him lose at any cost.

De-lurking to say this: I really hope you do realize that 2-quad Patrick has only .4 in TES over 1-quad Daisuke. And also, Yuzuru (also with one quad) beat them both on TES. So, sorry, but Patrick's win in the LP was not really based on TES, but on PCS, which is a problem, because to have (at least) the highest PE and IN of the night when in some places he was clearly behind the music is a bit ridiculous, IMO.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Good to see the crowd booing Chan's win then booing him on the medal podium to boot. Well deserved. The judges can continue their fixed scoring but fans are not fooled and are flocking away by the dozens. Chan's legacy when he retires will only be the most held up champion in history who had his wins protected before ever setting foot on the ice, and the entire Chan era in mens skating will just be viewed as the farce nearly everyone already views it as.

I was also proven right in my statement the Chan vs Takahashi thread was a total joke. Chan can do lame performances with multiple falls and still 120% lock to be marked over a perfect Takahashi or a perfect anyone else. ROTFL at Chan beating Takahashi by 5 points in PCS today, it should have been the other way around and that alone would have flipped the result.

Elvis must feel insecure of his status in Canadian figure skating. Heroes don't envy. Browning, Cranston, etc, are not afraid to gush over Patrick.
Seriously, you think it takes guts for a Canadian to gush over Patrick, whereas it's cowardly to criticize him? Because criticizing Canada's champ is going to bring Elvis so much love?

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

I think everyone is not complaing about Chan TES, its about their PCS difference. TES wise, Chan got what he got fair and square. No one can deny his two quad and 3A are just well done, and rightly deserve the +GOE mark. Dai did gives up points here and there with his two footed quad, and 3A+3T where the back end triple got two footed too.
But PCS wise, both Dai and Chan should have been tie, at least. Overallm the placement was right, coz Chan did have 4 points cushion from SP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Another possibility might be he doesn't like Patrick's skating.....

Because Patrick can do what Elvis could and Elvis could not do what Patrick can. IOW, Patrick can jump like Elvis and Elvis could not skate a fraction of what Patrick can. No, he doesn't like it at all.