Florent: 9.05
Daisuke: 8.25
Brian: 7.49
Denis: 6.52
Samuel: 5.25
Kevin: 3.58
Jeremy: .33
Michel: -2.70

Interesting dynamics here..Yuzuru wins on jumps, Daisuke won on non-jump elements and Patrick won on +GOE.

And what dismal jump score for Jeremy. :( And Brenzia gets clobbered on execution.

lavender

Record Breaker
I sense that Chan was really nervous today... there was a tentativeness that usually isn't there and he was really behind in his music... it reminded me of what he said about the olympics... that he was so nervous he couldn't hear the music. That said, the judging was completely fair. Hanyu won the LP. Chan deserve his score because he had two beautiful quads and a triple axel. I really wanted him to knock it out of the park today like he did in nationals, but though it wasn't meant to be he still held it together and he deserve the win.

The audience is just upset joubert didn't medal.

Hanyu did not win the lp.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But folks, the COP judging in the past has shown that higher difficulty in TES definitely results in higher PCS scores. This is nothing new.

PCS components: I'd give PE and IN to Takahashi. SS, TR, and CH go to Chan. JMO

mikeko666

Final Flight
I think people tend to forget that Chan does 2 quads in the LP vs. Dai's 1 quad. That is a very big difference in TES points! Chan nailed both quads in the LP perfectly and I'm sure amassed mega +GOE for doing so. Wasn't Takahashi's quad in the LP 2-footed?

Have you read others' posts? It is PCS that is the problem, especially PE, CH, IN, NOT TES.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I'm not always agree with the judges for to put Patrick always in first place.
But for this time, I find that he merits his score. It was truly the best performance of the day considering that he do 2 quads and overall the performance was far better than the other competitor.
Congratulation Patrick :) And I'm happy with the 12 place of Kevin Reynolds, Canada have 3 spot next year for world!!! :D

Art&Sport

Medalist
I like how we can tell if the competition is over by Patrick's first three jumping passes LOL but congrats to everyone!

Seriously? Chan is always odds-on-favorite and can do no wrong with judges. They kept Dai's marks down to leave Chan room (not that they had to anyway, cuz when he doesn't make bad errors, Chan's scores hit the stratosphere; even with mistakes, his scores reach the heavens). It's got to be so helpful for Chan knowing that the judges always have his back. That alone IMO can relieve quite a bit of pressure when performing. And, ho hum, this is not Chan hate. The outcome for Chan at the least was never really in doubt. Chan does have wonderful skills -- he's just not as superhero spectacular as his countrymen, uber fans, and the ISU consistently make him out to be. Yes, he's a champion who has proven he can achieve under pressure, but truthfully, Patrick has had so much support and coddling when he makes mistakes, that it isn't even funny. His artistic skills are okay, but please stop with the idea that he's so great artistically that people somehow hate him whenever his lack of superior, above-average artistic skills is mentioned. Patrick still has a lot of work to do. He's still very young, so maybe he will develop more in that area, or maybe not.

Since Patrick has fairly mastered the quad, and can usually land a respectable 3-axel under pressure, it doesn't matter if he has a fall-out or two in the sp. That knocks the kinks out a bit, and so then he is also able to get the lay of the land by skating last. I think Dai challenged very strongly here, but was not given the marks or the credit that was set aside and reserved for Chan before the event began. Yes, Chan delivered, but there are so many times when he hasn't fully delivered and has still received humongous scores, so Chan is given an opportunity that most guys don't have. The judges love him and his confidence is surely boosted by that. I also think the judges Chan-love has messed with some guys' heads. Not with Dai's head by the way. Dai knows full well how he matches up with Chan, and when he puts it out there the best he can and the judges don't give him the marks, so be it. Dai will take his silver medal with a smile, as always.

Who is surprised that Brezina didn't deliver in the fp? I don't care how well Michal skated in the sp (kudos to him for doing it on his birthday, btw!), I feel he was over-scored on PCS, and in some other IJS categories. The fp brought Brezina back down to earth. I think Brezina is a very good jumper, but when he doesn't have his jumps, he doesn't have much else either. If Jeremy could have skated his sp at the least as good as he's done all season long, he would have challenged for at least 3 or 4 place. Yeah, Jere would also have needed to eliminate some of the point giveaways in the fp.

Isn't this the first time for an all Asian-descent podium? That will be happening more often too if China and Japan have anything to say about it, plus the fact that P-Chid (barring injuries) will likely cruise into Sochi. With Plush coming back (if he can overcome his age and bad legs), I'm sure the judges will reserve a spot for him too on the podium. The lead-up will likely be all about Chan and Plush and quad shoot-out. Ugh!!! All the rest of the guys in the men's field can battle for bronze. Good-bye artistry in figure skating. So long.

CassAgain

On the Ice
If the crowd was booing Joubert's absence on the podium, wouldn't they have booed all three medalists and not just Chan?

gold12345

Medalist
For once, I felt sorry for Chan. The crowd was just so rude, it was horrible. He didn't give himself those scores. And he landed two clean quads. The audience needs to educate themselves and understand where Chan is separating himself from everyone else.

SGrand

Final Flight
I think people tend to forget that Chan does 2 quads in the LP vs. Dai's 1 quad. That is a very big difference in TES points! Chan nailed both quads in the LP perfectly and I'm sure amassed mega +GOE for doing so. Wasn't Takahashi's quad in the LP 2-footed?

Yes

Medusa

Record Breaker

I think it was just scratchy. And Dai did have too perfect 3As versus Chan's one. One of Dai's 3A was in the second half in combo with the 3T, Chan on the other hand pulls a Plushenko at the beginning of the program - 4t-4t3t-3a. Only after that his program starts. So you could argue this either way.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
They should really just allow the PCS categories to be scored with greater differences. Then they can give Daisuke higher IN/CH mark, but then Patrick's SS/TR should be 9.5+ across the board if he has mistake and perfect 10 if he's clean.

THIS!

I think the main problem is the incredibly STUPID corridor. If a judge dares to send a message, and his/her marks are out of the corridor, they face the fact that they might never judge again, and I think a big part of the problem lays right here. I know several judges, and they are scarred to death of the corridor. :bang:

lavender

Record Breaker
Florent was ahead of Brian in the lp and wind up 4th place over Brian so maybe they wanted him on the podium.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*sigh* I'm just ready to have this season be over and then have Hanyu dominate mens' skating straight to the 2013 World title and 2014 Olympic title.

adamlondon

On the Ice
I still think P Chan deservess higher PCS because he strokes more efficiently, has better flow and power through the ice and has more sophisticated movements than Daisuke. I like him, but it's sometimes a bit too in your face.

hurrah

Medalist
Fact remains, Patrick and the referees were loudly booed. Yuzuru and Dai were not. Food for thought, no??

Art&Sport

Medalist
Patrick had 5 points less in Base Value than Takahashi. He fell, doubled jumps, and still got more TES than takahashi. And let's not forget the PCS: 5 points over, including performance and interpretation.... :eek:hwell:

Yes, but Chan's PCS skills are waayy over-rated. Sorry, that's JMO. Quads I don't care. I just don't care. Daisuke was not rewarded for his superior artistic skills, and he put out enough technical expertise to have been rewarded more. A lot of judges and ubers, and even neutral fans seem to be rating Chan in the same league with Dai artistically. That is simply not true. My stating it over and over has nothing to do with trying to keep it from being true. It just is hands-down, in my estimation very obvious that Daii is at the top of his game artistically, while Chan is NOT!

Becki

Medalist
*sigh* I'm just ready to have this season be over and then have Hanyu dominate mens' skating straight to the 2013 World title and 2014 Olympic title.

Agree!! I am so glad other ppl feel the same way =] Yuzuru for 2013 and 2014 Gold!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Spots for 2013:
Three spots: Canada, Japan and France
Two spots: USA, Kazakhstan, Italy and Czech Republic
Lost spots: Russia and Spain (down to 1 spot)