Men Free Skates | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

UnChosen

On the Ice
They were booing in general to Brian's score, not because he didn't beat Yuzuru. Hey, Yuzuru just got the loudest cheer from the same French crowd out of the three. I was kinda surprised that Brian's score wasn't higher. His performance was clean, and I thought he was going to get home advantage.

Doesn't really change my point. Too many people without knowledge in PCS operates on a "Clean + Appealing" = High Score, otherwise low score type of judging when it is not that way.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think people tend to forget that Chan does 2 quads in the LP vs. Dai's 1 quad. That is a very big difference in TES points! Chan nailed both quads in the LP perfectly and I'm sure amassed mega +GOE for doing so. Wasn't Takahashi's quad in the LP 2-footed?

hurrah

Medalist
anyone watching IN....did they 'show' the booing and the interview and the medal? I hate this kind of thing but do want to see, that's why I'm asking.

They showed the interview and the ceremony. The booing was hard to ignore.

lavender

Record Breaker
Yeah the French will definitely boo you in tennis. Wow think the fs fans are fed up. This is crazy.

Last edited:

flaneur

On the Ice
I sense that Chan was really nervous today... there was a tentativeness that usually isn't there and he was really behind in his music... it reminded me of what he said about the olympics... that he was so nervous he couldn't hear the music. That said, the judging was completely fair. Hanyu won the LP. Chan deserve his score because he had two beautiful quads and a triple axel. I really wanted him to knock it out of the park today like he did in nationals, but though it wasn't meant to be he still held it together and he deserve the win.

The audience is just upset joubert didn't medal.

Edit: Oops... Hanyu didn't win the LP. mea culpa (late night + early morning = hazy short term memory). however, i still stand by what i said

Last edited:

Kissx3

Final Flight
They could impose greater penalties on visible mistakes. It would kill technical progress in the sport dead, but it's the only way to satisfy neophytes.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I think people tend to forget that Chan does 2 quads in the LP vs. Dai's 1 quad. That is a very big difference in TES points! Chan nailed both quads in the LP perfectly and I'm sure amassed mega +GOE for doing so. Wasn't Takahashi's quad in the LP 2-footed?

It is not the TES that seems unfair it is the PCS.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Je t'aime Hanyu

(just want to be clear)
(& you too Daisuke + Jeremy made this WC worth watching)

:thumbsup: :rock: :party::party:

Becki

Medalist

But it's the PCs I am furious about...

adamlondon

On the Ice
Chan does deserve the highest PCS, his overall skating quality is above the rest by quite a bit. Some people here talk like real amateurs, a fall in the program does not negate everything in the program. This is why the new scoring system was created. The French are just a bunch of cantankerous sore losers, as Brian really does not match up to the top three or four.

evangeline

Record Breaker

The issue here is that Chan virtually tied Takahashi on TES, but received almost 5 more PCS points than Takahashi.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Well there's also Daisuke's 2 triple axels to Chan's- ONE triple axel. Nobody's complaining about Chan's tech scores they are complaining about the PCS. And there's more too it than Daisuke was clean Chan wasn't. Daisuke had the better performance.

Chan does deserve the highest PCS, his overall skating quality is above the rest by quite a bit. Some people here talk like real amateurs, a fall in the program does not negate everything in the program. This is why the new scoring system was created. The French are just a bunch of cantankerous sore losers, as Brian really does not match up to the top three or four.

Its fine to give Chan higher SS skills than Daisuke. But I think even when both are clean Daisuke is the better performer AND has better interpertation. Surely Daisuke deserved higher P/E mark. I think Chan IS the best skater in the world, but it doesn't mean he's the best at everything. Or that others don't deserve to get rewarded for what they do better.

And the problem too is the judges aren't even consistent. Look at Contesti's higher PCS than Denis Ten. Or how Kozuka's PCS drop big time (and many say Kozuka's basics are probably the closest to Chan). The judges aren't even consistent.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am really okay with the results, it could have gone either way and I prefer Dai's program by far - but I can live with the result.

I have a question concerning Dai's jump GOEs. I know his jumps are not high, and that among all the boys he is one who underrotates easily, together with Reynolds, Denis Ten and Kozuka. And even during this freeskate some of his jumps looked a little tight. But I also thought that he had some nice transitions into those jumps - shouldn't he get more GOE on them, even if the rest of the execution was rather average? The only jump that resulted in good GOE was his 3A, no other jump got more than +1. His jumps weren't that average, were they?

UnChosen

On the Ice
They should really just allow the PCS categories to be scored with greater differences. Then they can give Daisuke higher IN/CH mark, but then Patrick's SS/TR should be 9.5+ across the board if he has mistake and perfect 10 if he's clean.

Emma, yes, IN did show the interview and medal ceremony with the booing.

I'm sorry Patrick got booed, but that's what audiences do in sports. Maybe the referee and tech caller getting booed will give the ISU some food for thought.

Hanyu was just like Narumi - two little puppies who are overjoyed with their unexpected medals. This is a great Worlds for Japan, hope it continues to be so with the ladies!

treeloving

Medalist

But in the end their tes score is the same, what put them apart is PCS.

Leonardo

Final Flight

Patrick had 5 points less in Base Value than Takahashi. He fell, doubled jumps, and still got more TES than takahashi. And let's not forget the PCS: 5 points over, including performance and interpretation.... :eek:hwell: