Men Free Skates | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

skatinginbc

Medalist
Maybe the crowd was not booing at the overall results but the placement of the FP. I think Chan deserves his gold but should have been 3rd in the Free, with the presentation scores behind Dai's. In that case, the crowd would have thought the judging was fair and attributed the final placement to the SP. It is hard to convince the viewers that someone finished behind the music (i.e., not skating to the music) with a poker face throughout could score that high in the artistic marks. The first half of Chan's performance was good though, with big jumps and all that. I thought he was going to have a perfect skate. All in all, the podium placement was right--just my opinion. Congratulations to Chan. He won it with hard work and points (even taking away the supposed inflation). He is a well-deserved champion.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Fact remains, Patrick and the referees were loudly booed. Yuzuru and Dai were not. Food for thought, no??

Not really. They booed the program with visible errors that beat the "perfect" 2nd place performance. It's exactly what you'd expect from any audience that has no informed working knowledge of the scoring system. What's troubling is that that would be every crowd anywhere.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I still think P Chan deservess higher PCS because he strokes more efficiently, has better flow and power through the ice and has more sophisticated movements than Daisuke. I like him, but it's sometimes a bit too in your face.

Worked for Plushy and Dai is no where as in your face as he was. I like confidence in a performance. I enjoy watching Dai skate when he is on. Also watching Joubert was like watching men's skating precop. The difference is glaring.

samba

On the Ice
Protocol breakdown:

Jumps (top 10):
Yuzuru: 73.29
Patrick: 67.70
Daisuke: 66.55
Kevin: 64.91
Brian: 63.67
Florent: 63.47
Samuel: 59.62
Michal: 58.43
Denis: 58.39
Jeremy: 52.34

Nonjump elements
Daisuke: 21.61
Patrick: 20.86
Denis: 20.39
Yuzuru: 18.70
Florent: 17.94
Jeremy: 17.44
Michal: 17.43
Samuel: 16.22
Brian: 15.50
Kevin: 14.95

+GOE:
Patrick: 14.45
Yuzuru: 12.74
Florent: 9.05
Daisuke: 8.25
Brian: 7.49
Denis: 6.52
Samuel: 5.25
Kevin: 3.58
Jeremy: .33
Michel: -2.70

Interesting dynamics here..Yuzuru wins on jumps, Daisuke won on non-jump elements and Patrick won on +GOE.

And what dismal jump score for Jeremy. :( And Brenzia gets clobbered on execution.

Thanks, very nice analysis. This was pretty much confirmed that judges favored Chan because the +GOE are in judges' hands, not skaters'. I kinda feel sorry for Chan in a way that he prob. the only skater that got the most booing.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Spots for 2013:
Three spots: Canada, Japan and France
Two spots: USA, Kazakhstan, Italy and Czech Republic
Lost spots: Russia and Spain (down to 1 spot)

I'm so happy that Canada have 3 spots next year :clap: Congratulation to Patrick and Kevin, both of them did a great job.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe the crowd was not booing at the overall results but the placement of the FP. I think Chan deserves his gold but should have been 3rd in the Free, with the presentation scores behind Dai's. In that case, the crowd would have thought the judging was fair and attributed the final placement to the SP. It is hard to convince the viewers that someone finished behind the music (i.e., not skating to the music) with a poker face throughout could score that high in the artistic marks. The first half of Chan's performance was good though, with big jumps and all that. I thought he was going to have a perfect skate. All in all, the podium placement was right--just my opinion. Congratulations to Chan. He won it with hard work and points (even taking away the supposed inflation). He is a well-deserved champion.

I agree with this. I never said I agreed with the judges' scoring, but I do agree with the final placement.

NMURA

Medalist
Spain has two spots. As long as Fernandez stays within the top 12, the second skater doesn't count.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Yes, but Chan's PCS skills are waayy over-rated. Sorry, that's JMO. Quads I don't care. I just don't care. Daisuke was not rewarded for his superior artistic skills, and he put out enough technical expertise to have been rewarded more. A lot of judges and ubers, and even neutral fans seem to be rating Chan in the same league with Dai artistically. That is simply not true. My stating it over and over has nothing to do with trying to keep it from being true. It just is hands-down, in my estimation very obvious that Daii is at the top of his game artistically, while Chan is NOT!

Seriously, and it isn't only about the pcs. Chan DID NOT HAVE higher difficulty. In fact, Chan's difficulty was almost SIX POINTS LOWER than Takahashi's (and they downgraded dai's 3F). This is such a joke. And I'm happy the french crow tried to do something about it, even if they don't know the numbers, they simply know how crazy was the fact that Patrick's won the FS over a skater who performed so brilliantly in every way.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so happy that Canada have 3 spots next year :clap: Congratulation to Patrick and Kevin, both of them did a great job.

Canada has 3 spots? Talk about a country that doesn't have the skaters to fill them. After Chan it's a big falloff.

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
I think, with a majority vote, most people would give at least PE and IN no doubt to Daisuke. And yet, the judges are consistentgiving them to PChan, as if he truly is in another league, which he isn't. There must be a reason for that. Such unexplainable things don't happen without a reason. Either politics, or judge circle favoritism (as in between Dai and Patrick, coz I think other people's PCS were more or less correct on today), there's someting going on we don't know about.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada has 3 spots? Talk about a country that doesn't the skaters to fill them. After Chan it's a big falloff.

So what? I'd watch Jeremy Ten's beautiful skating without jumps in full appreciation of its beauty any day of any week.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If figure skating died with all the great skating today, then I really have no clue what the word "died" means. :confused:

I agree with the poster who said skating survived tonight. Chan was sent the message loud and clear that he cannot rest easy at the top. If Hanyu continues on this path, he is on the rise to knocking Patrick off the top pedestal.