Men Free Skates | Page 61 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This is their comments after the exhibition. They say that his competitive performances, SP and LP, were not all they could have been, but his exhibition "defies belief." I agree.

And the skating experts surrounding him would say, "Told yah!":biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I liked his exhibition a lot, Buttle should get credit for this. It was all kinds of cool to watch him glide like this. I hope he uses him more often. But I think he should change sp and lp next year and doesnt use Nicol again, in fear he would end up with Mirai's failed Spartacus, unless she makes him programs a la Carolina. :)

Becki

Medalist
I liked his exhibition a lot, Buttle should get credit for this. It was all kinds of cool to watch him glide like this. I hope he uses him more often. But I think he should change sp and lp next year and doesnt use Nicol again, in fear he would end up with Mirai's failed Spartacus, unless she makes him programs a la Carolina. :)

Lori is not going to give Patrick poorly choreographed programs.....they are not going to risk it with this Canadian champion and WC

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
One of major? Likely. But the major #1 for anyone is that old Russian dinosaur, who just said that after what he saw on TV, he regrets that his knee operation didn't allow him to compete in Nice. The gold was quite reachable. For him. Yeah, and keep in mind the audience factor in Sochi. It's a laid back city near the sea too! :p

Yes the would be 31 year old body who has had multiple surgeries and was already so far past his prime at only 27 that skating cleanly with a quad-triple in both programs he couldnt even beat a quadless Lysacek. This is the skater for all to beat, not Chan who is 5 or 6 falls better than his competitors (in the judges eyes), the Japanese, or anyone else. Thanks, I can always use a laugh.

emdee

Final Flight
WOW pangtong - I thought Chan was at 9 or 10 falls the last time!
Laughter is the best medicine.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes the would be 31 year old body who has had multiple surgeries and was already so far past his prime at only 27 that skating cleanly with a quad-triple in both programs he couldnt even beat a quadless Lysacek. This is the skater for all to beat, not Chan who is 5 or 6 falls better than his competitors (in the judges eyes), the Japanese, or anyone else. Thanks, I can always use a laugh.

Yes but the 29 year old Euros version would have beaten Lysacek by a mile. Its weird mathematics..the rest skaters grow older too. :p I dont argue the beat Chan, Japanese part though.

Lori is not going to give Patrick poorly choreographed programs.....they are not going to risk it with this Canadian champion and WC

I didnt think poorly choreo, I was thinking boring warhorses.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That analysis isn't excellent at all, says nothing about how Chan's movements interpret the music or his level of performance, only his skating skills. It completely ignores Takahashi's transitions and also incorrectly sums up an entire minute of the performance as "very little movement that connects to the music", when Takahashi is providing a very distinct interpretation. That post claims "the music ramps up but Dai's energy and movement does not", which is wrong because he does a quick series of steps directly to the music and then goes into a HUGE 3Axel-3Toe. If that isn't energetic, then what is?

Boeing787

On the Ice
That analysis isn't excellent at all, says nothing about how Chan's movements interpret the music or his level of performance, only his skating skills. It completely ignores Takahashi's transitions and also incorrectly sums up an entire minute of the performance as "very little movement that connects to the music", when Takahashi is providing a very distinct interpretation. That post claims "the music ramps up but Dai's energy and movement does not", which is wrong because he does a quick series of steps directly to the music and then goes into a HUGE 3Axel-3Toe. If that isn't energetic, then what is?

That HUGE 3A-3T got a GOE of 0.14.

Takahashi did a good job interpreting the music, but Patrick was better. He got higher IN marks because his music is more complicated, he has more variety in his movement and pace.

BTW, in spite of the fall and behind the music, Patrick's last steps was the best in this season, so fast and passionate.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
It's an exhibition performance, they haven't changed their opinions about his competitive programs. British commentators speak English and apparently you are not the only one around who understands that language. Still there is no mega element in this exhibition number. Dai and Yuzuru were the only one who did 3A in gala. Normally Yuzuru also tries to perform a quad too. But probably his injury prevented him from doing that this time. People who were at gala practice reported that Dai landed a few amazing 4T and tried a 3-jump combo 3F-3Lo-2Lo. I don't remember hmi doing a Lo as a second jump in combo. And he never had a tree-jump combo in competitions. It would be interesting if he develops this stuff and includes it in his competitive programs.

Everyone on this board understands English. The last words from the commnetator were "a worthy world champion".

Right, there is no 3A or 4T in this number, because this is a program designed to show off his skating skills, not his jumping ability which has been proved in the competition.

Let's say the two Brits haven't changed their opinions. Does it matter? Not the least. Patrick is the 2012 ISU World Champion, no one can change this fact.

NMURA

Medalist
I think Takahashi was the worthy world champion anyway. The judges could let him win IF they chose.

Chan was given the gold medal because...

*Reynolds was the 12th, therefore Chan's win was needed to give 3 spots to next year's host.
*The judges wanted appoint Hanyu as the #1 rival of Patrick Chan. Takahashi shouldn't a spoiler thereafter.

Chan was given the gold medal because...

*Reynolds was the 12th, therefore Chan's win was needed to give 3 spots to next year's host.

If the judges had exercised more foresight, they could have nudged Reynolds up to 11th. Then Patrick could have been second and all's well. :)

The Japanese Federation should have sacrificed Kozuka's eleventh place finish in exchange for Takahaski getting first. Someone was asleep at the switch. :yes:

NMURA

Medalist
I'm sure the judges had little anxiety about Chan's win when Reynolds has placed there. If Takahashi won WC, the JSF could've been in a difficult position -- who should be backed up as THE national favorite heading into Sochi. Well, the international judges have made it clear. I think NHK trophy in Miyagi (Sendai) will be the official ceremony of the throne change.

Becki

Medalist
I'm sure the judges had little anxiety about Chan's win when Reynolds has placed there. If Takahashi won WC, the JSF could've been in a difficult position -- who should be backed up as THE national favorite heading into Sochi. Well, the international judges have made it clear. I think NHK trophy in Miyagi (Sendai) will be the official ceremony of the throne change.

Wait, sorry I don't quite understand this. If Takahashi won, wouldn't he be backed up as the national favourite? What throne change? You mean from Takahashi being the favourite to Hanyu?

You know, I would be interested to know who gets selected for NHK next season. Yuzuru probably wants it the most since it's in Sendai, but Takahashi is usually favoured to be at the NHK. Both can't attend since they are reigning world medalists...this will be interesting.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That HUGE 3A-3T got a GOE of 0.14.

Because the landing wasn't perfect, but that has nothing to do with the energy of the movement itself.

Takahashi did a good job interpreting the music, but Patrick was better. He got higher IN marks because his music is more complicated.

Oh GOD, the horrible "his music is more complicated" argument again. That bad logic train just keeps on going. CHOO CHOO!

Boeing787

On the Ice
Because the landing wasn't perfect, but that has nothing to do with the energy of the movement itself.

Oh GOD, the horrible "his music is more complicated" argument again. That bad logic train just keeps on going. CHOO CHOO!

Then how do you explain Patrick's high IN marks? Eight judges gave him marks >=9.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Right, there is no 3A or 4T in this number, because this is a program designed to show off his skating skills, not his jumping ability which has been proved in the competition.
Hanyu and Dai both proved their 3A and skating skills in competitions too and yet they put ultra elements in exhibition programs. There were more than one world champions who didn't take a rest even at gala. That's what the true champion is for.
Patrick is the 2012 ISU World Champion, no one can change this fact.
As well as nobody can change the fact that he got booed by an international audience. The first and up to now the only World Champion in FS who got booed. Guiness record. That matters. At least it should.
Then how do you explain Patrick's high IN marks? Eight judges gave him marks >=9.
Because he lost seriousliy in BV to both Hanyu and Dai, so PCS should have done the work- to grant him a gold medal. And don't forget the corridor for judges that Lakernik talked about.
If Takahashi won WC, the JSF could've been in a difficult position -- who should be backed up as THE national favorite heading into Sochi. Well, the international judges have made it clear. I think NHK trophy in Miyagi (Sendai) will be the official ceremony of the throne change.
:laugh: I seriously doubt it will happen so soon. Dai is not just a king on the throne. He is an adored brand on the Japanese market. And you can't simply throw cash bringer easily. Hanyu is definitely loved here and will be promoted by J-federation simply because there don't have a megastar to substitue Mao, the second brand, when she retires, presumably after Sochi. So, they do need another megastar beause Dai will retire too after 2014. Hanyu is the best choice possible. But until the brand Dai is on the market, he will stick with the Crown Prince title.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Let's Talk, You are entitled to your opinion, so I won't argue with you any more. Patrick is the champion, that's what I care.