Men Free Skates | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

UnChosen

On the Ice
The crowd was also booing when Joubert did not surpass Yuzuru to take the bronze medal...which shows just how unreliable crowd opinion really is.

Leonardo

Final Flight
The booing is the most direct way for fans to express their opinions. It's up to ISU if they take them seriously.

Exactly. French crowd was so brave to show how the judges (they booed the crowd and the judges) how wrong were they. If they keep it classy, no one will ever know how unfair people felt this result was. And it happens time after time, 1 fall, 2 falls, 3 falls, it doesn't matter. It's time to do something, and they are trying! Booing the judges when they could and booing Patrick to show what they thought about his score.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
you know who did quads AND didn't fall on a jump at least?) Daisuke and Yuzuru. Did either of them win? No.

Did you even watch the SP? Hanyu singled a Lutz. Dai fell out of and put hands down on a 3toe. Patrick wasn't perfect either, but his mistakes in the SP were not as major as those made by the Japanese.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The crowd was also booing when Joubert did not surpass Yuzuru to take the bronze medal...which shows just how unreliable crowd opinion really is.

I certainly wouldn't mind Joubert getting the bronze. So that wasn't totally random. Joubert brought it both phases of the competition.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The booing is the most direct way for fans to express their opinions. It's up to ISU if they take them seriously.

if ordinary audience have reacted, now something is fundamentally wrong with the system or the judging
I hope the judges or ISU finally listens

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Did you even watch the SP? Hanyu singled a Lutz. Dai fell out of and put hands down on a 3toe. Patrick wasn't perfect either, but his mistakes in the SP were not as major as those made by the Japanese.

And he beat them in the LP, too. What's the excuse?

emma

Record Breaker
anyone watching IN....did they 'show' the booing and the interview and the medal? I hate this kind of thing but do want to see, that's why I'm asking.

I hope this thread doesn't get mean spirited, but I think we could debate fairly and kindly the results without bashing the skaters who, after all, don't judge themselves. I think my gut reaction without a rewatch, which often changes my mind, is that the placements were fair and the results were close, by which I mean - the top three, combining both short and long, were very close together and I could see the numbers being closer as a result. I can also imagine reasons to flip these results without accusing anyone of overt favortism or 'cheating.' Meaning, a different panel may have found a different result.

So, I only have gut reactions right now, and again gut reaction, I do think that Dai brought the most performance and interpretation of all three in both segments, and I do think that hands down, Chan has significantly higher skating skills, after that, I really need to read the protocols and rewatch to feel clearer on anything. I was so stunned by Hanyu that I didn't really take in his LP - i just jumped up and down and screamed.

So anyway, just looking forward to reading your analysis and hope we can learn from each others 'take' on the event!

hurrah

Medalist

They were booing in general to Brian's score, not because he didn't beat Yuzuru. Hey, Yuzuru just got the loudest cheer from the same French crowd out of the three. I was kinda surprised that Brian's score wasn't higher. His performance was clean, and I thought he was going to get home advantage.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Wow, this crowd is certainly opinionated. I can't remember hearing so much booing EVER during the champion's scores, his interview AND the medal ceremony.

Their French. They are known to be rude.. :laugh:

Anyway, I am SOOOO happy the 3 best men in the world are standing at the podium. Hands down to all of them! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Oh please, the crowd also goes nuts for KVDP - would you want him as World Champion? If this was a sport where the crowd decides who wins - welcome to American Idol on ice.

It's obviously not the point of my post. Even the crowd is tired of Patrick winning time after time with so many mistakes over an incredible and almost "perfect" performance. The judges are always right? Yeah, 9 for PE for Patrick and 8.6 for Daisuke. So fair.

anyone watching IN....did they 'show' the booing and the interview and the medal? I hate this kind of thing but do want to see, that's why I'm asking.

I hope this thread doesn't get mean spirited, but I think we could debate fairly and kindly the results without bashing the skaters who, after all, don't judge themselves. I think my gut reaction without a rewatch, which often changes my mind, is that the placements were fair and the results were close, by which I mean - the top three, combining both short and long, were very close together and I could see the numbers being closer as a result. I can also imagine reasons to flip these results without accusing anyone of overt favortism or 'cheating.' Meaning, a different panel may have found a different result.

So, I only have gut reactions right now, and again gut reaction, I do think that Dai brought the most performance and interpretation of all three in both segments, and I do think that hands down, Chan has significantly higher skating skills, after that, I really need to read the protocols and rewatch to feel clearer on anything. I was so stunned by Hanyu that I didn't really take in his LP - i just jumped up and down and screamed.

So anyway, just looking forward to reading your analysis and hope we can learn from each others 'take' on the event!

ITA on every point. Incredibly well spoken!

Poodlepal

On the Ice

Actually, I didn't see it, as Universal Sports demanded money from my cable provider that it wouldn't give them, and I can't miss work to watch streaming videos. But PC won the long program. If the other two had messed up on the short but beat Patrick in the long, it would be, oh well. But they didn't.

Becki

Medalist
They were booing in general to Brian's score, not because he didn't beat Yuzuru. Hey, Yuzuru just got the loudest cheer from the same French crowd out of the three. I was kinda surprised that Brian's score wasn't higher. His performance was clean, and I thought he was going to get home advantage.

^

:)

emma

Record Breaker
Chan only had one mistake? Were you watching the same competition as everyone else?

So, I saw three - the jump sequence, a spin (I forget which one, a change of leg spin that seemed terrible on centered in the second, outside edge portion), and the double axel....I have not yet read the protocols (just can't yet), but wonder if a) you saw other tech errors, b) think on the tech the errors were adequately scored, and c) wonder what you think of the pcs side of things..

ETA thanks on the IN information, I'll to see if I can watch the last segment again later!