Men Free Skates | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

periperi

On the Ice
And the problem too is the judges aren't even consistent. Look at Contesti's higher PCS than Denis Ten. Or how Kozuka's PCS drop big time (and many say Kozuka's basics are probably the closest to Chan). The judges aren't even consistent.

This may be an unpopular view, but I find Kozuka's basics to be right up there with Chan's.

Anyway, I think Koz's PCS also show that if you skate in the earlier group, your PCS marks are automatically going to be lower than those skating in later groups. That's why we have skaters with low technical content - but stunning basics for example - recieving SS marks that say the opposite because they can never get into later groups in competition. How can judges be consistent if this is how things roll?

That being said, Takahiko's PCS scores have always been contradicting, and more often than not, too low for what he puts out there, IMO. I just don't get it. Is it just my bias kicking in?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This may be an unpopular view, but I find Kozuka's basics to be right up there with Chan's.

Anyway, I think Koz's PCS also show that if you skate in the earlier group, your PCS marks are automatically going to be lower than those skating in later groups. That's why we have skaters with low technical content - but stunning basics for example - recieving SS marks that say the opposite because they can never get into later groups in competition. How can judges be consistent if this is how things roll?

That being said, Takahiko's PCS scores have always been contradicting, and more often than not, too low for what he puts out there, IMO. I just don't get it. Is it just my bias kicking in?

It's not an unpopular view at all. I find Kozuka superior over Chan in PCS. It's really a shame that he couldn't get the job done technically here because he is sheer brilliance when all the pieces of the puzzle come together beautifully.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least Chan didn't win by an ridiculous amount of points today. 7 points is not a dominating win and a 3 point win in the LP shows he's not invincible.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Grand Prix Final 2.0!

I think the overall outcome should have been very close here between Patrick and Daisuke... I'm fine with Chan winning, but if Dai would have gotten the gold - fine too.
But just as in the GPF, Chan shouldn't have won the FS. Should have been Takahashi, and then Chan and Hanyu (don't care so much about the order). Takahashi's PCS are a bad joke, a bad, bad, bad, baaaaaaaad joke - and he looked so disappointed to me. Hope this isn't duscouraging him or something :/

The booing was just unfair, but I have to admit I can understand it perfectly. I feel so sorry for Chan, because he doesn't deserve it, but the judges actually do.
What is the ISU doing there...? :/

Glad baby Yuzu is there to lift my spirits up - his smile during the medal ceremony - cutest thing in the world!!<3

Kelly

On the Ice
I like Chan's response when asked about 2013 and the Olympics. He said 2013 may be better or worse, but the most important thing is to keep the passion.

fscric

On the Ice
None of Patrick's fans think he is invincible, it's only those who dislike him use it to bash him in case you're not aware.

Leonardo

Final Flight
At least Chan didn't win by an ridiculous amount of points today. 7 points is not a dominating win and a 3 point win in the LP shows he's not invincible.

But 3 points ahead with that kind of performance shows that the judges will do everything they can to hold Patrick on top (I have no idea why, but that was very clear today). But I have high hopes for Yuzuru, he's such a fighter. I love how he fell and then, 5 seconds later, did a perfect 3A 3T.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Spain has two spots. As long as Fernandez stays within the top 12, the second skater doesn't count.

ETA: Never mind. You are right! Dang, didn't know about the 16 rule...will have to redo my calculations!

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
French crowds boo everything. During Roland Garros, they boo their own players, any player that questions a call, referees, any player that grunts, and so on. Nadal's won there a million times and they barely cheer when he wins the entire tournament. They made Serena Williams cry. And then there's that final between Graf and Hingis with the crowd chanting "Steffi, Steffi" while play was going on and booing Martina's every move.

Anyway, I wouldn't take it so personally. Though I think the booing during the interview was classless, it's not the first time a ref has been booed and that's almost a pastime in all sports.

I can see why Chan won, but he leaves me dead. Dai, Yuzuru, Brian...they all had better, more exciting performances. So while I don't necessarily disagree, Chan's skate was a big fat MEH.

treeloving

Medalist
Regarding Spain spots.

I think if another skaters qualify to free he get 18 or 20 points no matter what, but I'm not sure.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Hanyu fell i thought he would unravel. He's run out of steam in the past in the LP and that fall came out of nowhere but he showed the heart of a champion.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dream for 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics Podiums:

1. Hanyu or Kozuka
2. Hanyu or Kozuka
3. Farris

periperi

On the Ice
It's not an unpopular view at all. I find Kozuka superior over Chan in PCS. It's really a shame that he couldn't get the job done technically here because he is sheer brilliance when all the pieces of the puzzle come together beautifully.

I wouldn't consider Kozuka stronger than Chan according to the PCS criteria though. I think the quality of his skating is right up there with Chan's, but he lacks Chan's complexity in the transitions and choreography at this point. I agree with everything else you wrote though.

flaneur

On the Ice
Scoring controversies aside. IMO for the most part this was a well skated men's LP competition. Many of the men rose to the occasion.

Though I am generally not a fan of Joubert (IMO too little content between jumps) I thought he acquitted himself very well today... it was the best i've seen him skate in a few years.

Every time I see Hanyu and Ten skate I am always excited and awed by their potential

koheikun90

On the Ice
Asian Domination of the men's event! This counts Patrick Chan, too.

I'm floored about the results. Overall, I felt that Patrick's technical score was fair. However, Daisuke was way underscored in the PCS. I would have given him a 10 in choreography and interpretation. That program is so innovative, so complex. That music is so difficult to interpret. In my opinion, one of the greatest LPs of all time. Yuzuru made me cry and it is the first time I cried over a program. Youthful exuberance for sure, silly fall after the step sequence. But, I am amazed that jumped back up and did a 3axel-3 toe.

I'm actually glad that the audience booed, despite that it's not Patrick's fault he was placed 1st by the judges. Like at the Worlds in Lyon, France in 1970 (I think), the audience booed when Janet Lynn did not medal despite a brilliant free skate because figures were weighted heavier than the FS. This warranted change. The next year, the SP was introduced and figures were reduced for the skater's overall placement. The ISU needs to re-evaluate the scoring system, especially when it comes to deductions. I understand the boos because the audience, who is there live, feeling the energy of each performance, sees a performance that was superior in execution and is beaten by a guy who splatters at the end. A world champion should not be a guy who waxels at the end. SKATING 101, folks. Now, the ISU can take a cue from the FIG gymnastics (although their scoring system is highly debatable, too) to increase the deductions for falls and single jumps. I say that falls should be a mandatory 2-point deduction and all popped singles should be a mandatory -3 in GOE. Also omission on any required element in the SP should be a mandatory 2 point deduction. It would encourage the skaters to focus on the execution of their programs with less falls and have the general public understand and justify the placements. But also increase the point value for quads and 3-axels to encourage skaters to attempt and perfect them in competition. Also in fairness to the skaters, judges should display their marks. Skaters should be able to see what jumps were downgraded during the kiss and cry and coaches should be allowed to submit inquiries. Although, I could understand that it will prolong the scoring process, but it's only fair. As for PCS, skaters who fall should not be given 9+ for execution. Does not make sense. Figure skating, like all sports, is dependent on the popularity of fans to sustain. If this continues, its relevance in society will dissipate.

treeloving

Medalist
In my opinion Chan also have better line than Kozuka.

But I think thier skating skills don't that far apart.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
French crowds boo everything. During Roland Garros, they boo their own players, any player that questions a call, referees, any player that grunts, and so on. Nadal's won there a million times and they barely cheer when he wins the entire tournament. They made Serena Williams cry. And then there's that final between Graf and Hingis with the crowd chanting "Steffi, Steffi" while play was going on and booing Martina's every move.

Anyway, I wouldn't take it so personally. Though I think the booing during the interview was classless, it's not the first time a ref has been booed and that's almost a pastime in all sports.

I can see why Chan won, but he leaves me dead. Dai, Yuzuru, Brian...they all had better, more exciting performances. So while I don't necessarily disagree, Chan's skate was a big fat MEH.

:laugh:Yeah I think they want Fed to win which I don't blame them but maybe they are just tired of Nadal winning.

DancerLily

Rinkside
It was quite clear that Patric would win whatever he does, so...at least he didn't break any record or win by 20+ this time:rolleye: But overall, I' happy with this! Daisuke and Hanyu were great and much deserve to be on a podium. And Brian's program might be a 2004 deja vu, but c'mon, he did a really great job today! Loved how he was happy after the skate :love:
(And Kevin was another highlight for me, that 3-3-3?!)