Men Free Skates | Page 44 | Golden Skate

Men Free Skates

What a "drama". When did we last have a world champion that was boo-ed? Congrats to Chan on making one more Guiness record. And congrats to ISU on one more fat nail in the coffin "Popularity of FS". Poor Patrick. He couldn't collect the audience in his training rink in Colorado. He is as "popular" in Russia as Evan. Now he lost his business in Japan too. Who wants to see such an umai-ne-champ for 20, 000 yen for a ticket :disapp:. I almost pity him.

Dai looked incredibly handsome and happy. He said to Fuji TV that of course he is glad that he got a silver medal but still he regrets that he didn't get a gold one. Next time he will do his best to get the gold. He also was very grateful to the French audience for all the support that they expressed to him :). Dai-dude, they are French for a reason, with their taste in perfumes, fashion, wine and food. Of course they couldn't not fall in love with you. Enjoy it! ;)

Yuzuru was overjoyed like a real 17yo kid. He said to TV that he still can't believe that he got a medal. He was very happy to be on the world podium together with Dai and Chan, this success gave him confidence and that since now and then he will try to be on the podium every time :thumbsup:! Well, he joined the noble company of Plush and Yag who both won a bronze medal on their first appearance at Wolds. Btw, for those who don't remember, when Plush was asked who he thinks can win the Worlds, he gave exactly these three names. And he was right. :p

Thanks for giving us the results of the interviews. How charming both the Japanese skaters are! I'm so glad they both did so well. I can't wait to see their programs.

I was rooting for Daisuke to win gold. But I gather Chan did a great job, and congratulations to him. The one thing I can neither stand nor understand is booing him on the podium. He skated his very best and gave it his all, as every other skater tried to do. This isn't the ancient Roman Olympics, where the Emperor Nero took part and expected to win every event he was in. This is a serious, excellent athlete who doesn't have any power over the judges. He did not intimidate any judge or other competitor or cheat in his program. He deserves polite applause at the very least--not boos. Not ever.

skatinginbc

Medalist
“On the double Axel it was a combination of being a bit late to the music and it being a long program. I lost concentration a bit,” said Chan. (http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/697044--chan-wins-gold-ignores-the-boos).
Late to the music, finishing behind the music = 9.0s CH and IN?

“The whole point is that I didn’t skate necessarily lights out but the thing is I skated smart and just made sure those little details were done well,” Chan said.
Which PCS category includes the ability of projecting to or connecting with the audience? Boos from the audience certainly tells us how successful the connection/projection was made.

"Insiders know that Chan’s pure skating skills and flow are well above anyone else’s at the moment, even though Takahashi and a few others have great feet and feel too."
Chan has the best skating skills, but under the current judging system it is only one of the five categories in PCSs. If the judges like to assign similar scores across all categories without actually differentiating them based on the prescribed criteria and actual performance, let's get rid of all categories and name it "Skating Skills" instead.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Patrick can now put the experience and success of defending a Worlds title in his pocket, pulled out as he needs it next times.

He can use the booing like he used the Olympics experience. Onwards and Upwards indeed.

Gan bei.

It's hard this time not only because this is his first time to defend his title, but also because of the unusual competition time - as I pointed out before, the time is the worst for skaters from North America.

The booing can't be worse than being stabbed on the back by your reporter friend right before an important competition. I wouldn't worry about it if I were him. I do think he still needs to learn how to overcome the nervouseness in order to win the gold in Sochi. I thought he had taken care of the problem, but his performance today showed he still has a long way to go.

Overall, it's has been a great season for Patrick and his fans. I am drinking a glass of wine as I am typing. Life is good. Gan Bei.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
“On the double Axel it was a combination of being a bit late to the music and it being a long program. I lost concentration a bit,” said Chan. (http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/697044--chan-wins-gold-ignores-the-boos).
Late to the music, finishing behind the music = 9.0s CH and IN?

“The whole point is that I didn’t skate necessarily lights out but the thing is I skated smart and just made sure those little details were done well,” Chan said.
Which PCS category includes the ability of projecting to or connecting with the audience? Boos from the audience certainly tells us how successful the connection/projection was made.

"Insiders know that Chan’s pure skating skills and flow are well above anyone else’s at the moment, even though Takahashi and a few others have great feet and feel too."
Chan has the best skating skills, but under the current judging system it is only one of the five categories in PCSs. If the judges like to assign similar scores across all categories without actually differentiating them based on the prescribed criteria and actual performance, let's get rid of all categories and name it "Skating Skills" instead.

Thanks for the link!

romanoff81

Match Penalty
Ingo Steuer knows what he is talking about if it wasn`t for that double axel there would be no talk, and V&M were brilliant the response was not underwhelming i sense the crowd had some sort of grudge with canada`s top skaters seems they haven`t forgotten Canadians calling the head of their federation Didier Guaillaguet the biggest crook in skating.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Thanks for giving us the results of the interviews. How charming both the Japanese skaters are! I'm so glad they both did so well. I can't wait to see their programs.

I was rooting for Daisuke to win gold. But I gather Chan did a great job, and congratulations to him. The one thing I can neither stand nor understand is booing him on the podium. He skated his very best and gave it his all, as every other skater tried to do. This isn't the ancient Roman Olympics, where the Emperor Nero took part and expected to win every event he was in. This is a serious, excellent athlete who doesn't have any power over the judges. He did not intimidate any judge or other competitor or cheat in his program. He deserves polite applause at the very least--not boos. Not ever.

The crowd booed at Chan to indicate that they were angry with the unfair results. What other way could they find to indicate to those judges that they didn't agree to the score given to Patrick Chan? They booed at one judge when they could, but there was no other way to show them that it wasn't fair. Sometimes you have to do something that is not very polite to show disapproval. The crowd has the right to show those judges that they don't agree with the cheating and pre-determined results. Congrats to them to have the guts and not pretend everything is OK with this result.

Becki

Medalist
Btw, who was the commentator for universal sports?

that guy is awful! when Yuzuru landed his quad, he said "there it is, look how......simple....not simple, very difficult"

Fail...

emma

Record Breaker
it sounded like Peter Curuthers (sp?) to me and, I hate to say it because he is so informed, but his commentating grated badly on my nerves in this and many other examples.

Thank you SO MUCH! I got gooseflesh from the beauty of his program. How he uses his arms...how he uses the music! There's never a moment when you think, "There, he's going into his footwork section." It all seems to spring naturally from what the music is doing at that moment. That demonstrates not just the inspired choreography but the musicality of this skater. I feel so privileged to be a fan of his. I hope that long after he leaves competitive skating, he continues to skate professionally, because this guy was born to be on the ice.

And thanks, Jtsmith, for the link to the medal ceremony. I love that both Japanese skaters cheered when Patrick skated out onto the ice, and that Patrick and Daisuke behaved so graciously to each other. Golly, Hanyu looks so young. May he continue to grow and progress, and Patrick also. But my heart belongs to Daisuke. What an exceptional performance.

Boeing787

On the Ice
The crowd booed at Chan to indicate that they were angry with the unfair results. What other way could they find to indicate to those judges that they didn't agree to the score given to Patrick Chan? They booed at one judge when they could, but there was no other way to show them that it wasn't fair. Sometimes you have to do something that is not very polite to show disapproval. The crowd has the right to show those judges that they don't agree with the cheating and pre-determined results. Congrats to them to have the guts and not pretend everything is OK with this result.

Just want to remind you that Bruno was burnt to death because he didn't believe the Earth was the center of the universe, against the mass belief in that era.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't know if this applies in your state but if you have Directv there's a free trial for Universal Sports going on. Just found out.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Just want to remind you that Bruno was burnt to death because he didn't believe the Earth was the center of the universe, against the mass belief in that era.
Oh great, so most of the people here, the crowd, most of the fans, blogs, commentators, everybody is wrong, Patrick did deserved higher PCS, actually 5 points more than Dai, and did deserve the victory in the FS by 3 points, falling, with a 2S, and uninspiring performance over an almost perfect one. Well, only Patrick and his fans know the truth about this. Ok. :)
I think I'm done here, let the cheating go on forever and ever.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I don't know if this applies in your state but if you have Directv there's a free trial for Universal Sports going on. Just found out.

Oh so that's why it was working for me. I was so confused b/c I didn't think that I was paying for USN.