Page 52 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Men Free Skates

Custom Title
    None of Patrick's fans think he is invincible, it's only those who dislike him use it to bash him in case you're not aware.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    At least Chan didn't win by an ridiculous amount of points today. 7 points is not a dominating win and a 3 point win in the LP shows he's not invincible.
    But 3 points ahead with that kind of performance shows that the judges will do everything they can to hold Patrick on top (I have no idea why, but that was very clear today). But I have high hopes for Yuzuru, he's such a fighter. I love how he fell and then, 5 seconds later, did a perfect 3A 3T.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Spain has two spots. As long as Fernandez stays within the top 12, the second skater doesn't count.

ETA: Never mind. You are right! Dang, didn't know about the 16 rule...will have to redo my calculations!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-31-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Custom Title
    French crowds boo everything. During Roland Garros, they boo their own players, any player that questions a call, referees, any player that grunts, and so on. Nadal's won there a million times and they barely cheer when he wins the entire tournament. They made Serena Williams cry. And then there's that final between Graf and Hingis with the crowd chanting "Steffi, Steffi" while play was going on and booing Martina's every move.

Anyway, I wouldn't take it so personally. Though I think the booing during the interview was classless, it's not the first time a ref has been booed and that's almost a pastime in all sports.

I can see why Chan won, but he leaves me dead. Dai, Yuzuru, Brian...they all had better, more exciting performances. So while I don't necessarily disagree, Chan's skate was a big fat MEH.

Custom Title
    Regarding Spain spots.

I think if another skaters qualify to free he get 18 or 20 points no matter what, but I'm not sure.

Custom Title
    When Hanyu fell i thought he would unravel. He's run out of steam in the past in the LP and that fall came out of nowhere but he showed the heart of a champion.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Dream for 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics Podiums:

1. Hanyu or Kozuka
    2. Hanyu or Kozuka
    3. Farris

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Nope. It's the total of the two skaters has to be below 28.

9 + 24 = 33.
    All skaters below 12 place get 16 points, I think. Spain does get 2 spots.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jammers View Post
    when hanyu fell i thought he would unravel. He's run out of steam in the past in the lp and that fall came out of nowhere but he showed the heart of a champion.
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It's not an unpopular view at all. I find Kozuka superior over Chan in PCS. It's really a shame that he couldn't get the job done technically here because he is sheer brilliance when all the pieces of the puzzle come together beautifully.
    I wouldn't consider Kozuka stronger than Chan according to the PCS criteria though. I think the quality of his skating is right up there with Chan's, but he lacks Chan's complexity in the transitions and choreography at this point. I agree with everything else you wrote though.

Custom Title
    Scoring controversies aside. IMO for the most part this was a well skated men's LP competition. Many of the men rose to the occasion.

Though I am generally not a fan of Joubert (IMO too little content between jumps) I thought he acquitted himself very well today... it was the best i've seen him skate in a few years.

Every time I see Hanyu and Ten skate I am always excited and awed by their potential

Custom Title
    Asian Domination of the men's event! This counts Patrick Chan, too.

I'm floored about the results. Overall, I felt that Patrick's technical score was fair. However, Daisuke was way underscored in the PCS. I would have given him a 10 in choreography and interpretation. That program is so innovative, so complex. That music is so difficult to interpret. In my opinion, one of the greatest LPs of all time. Yuzuru made me cry and it is the first time I cried over a program. Youthful exuberance for sure, silly fall after the step sequence. But, I am amazed that jumped back up and did a 3axel-3 toe.

I'm actually glad that the audience booed, despite that it's not Patrick's fault he was placed 1st by the judges. Like at the Worlds in Lyon, France in 1970 (I think), the audience booed when Janet Lynn did not medal despite a brilliant free skate because figures were weighted heavier than the FS. This warranted change. The next year, the SP was introduced and figures were reduced for the skater's overall placement. The ISU needs to re-evaluate the scoring system, especially when it comes to deductions. I understand the boos because the audience, who is there live, feeling the energy of each performance, sees a performance that was superior in execution and is beaten by a guy who splatters at the end. A world champion should not be a guy who waxels at the end. SKATING 101, folks. Now, the ISU can take a cue from the FIG gymnastics (although their scoring system is highly debatable, too) to increase the deductions for falls and single jumps. I say that falls should be a mandatory 2-point deduction and all popped singles should be a mandatory -3 in GOE. Also omission on any required element in the SP should be a mandatory 2 point deduction. It would encourage the skaters to focus on the execution of their programs with less falls and have the general public understand and justify the placements. But also increase the point value for quads and 3-axels to encourage skaters to attempt and perfect them in competition. Also in fairness to the skaters, judges should display their marks. Skaters should be able to see what jumps were downgraded during the kiss and cry and coaches should be allowed to submit inquiries. Although, I could understand that it will prolong the scoring process, but it's only fair. As for PCS, skaters who fall should not be given 9+ for execution. Does not make sense. Figure skating, like all sports, is dependent on the popularity of fans to sustain. If this continues, its relevance in society will dissipate.

Custom Title
    In my opinion Chan also have better line than Kozuka.

But I think thier skating skills don't that far apart.
    Last edited by treeloving; 03-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    French crowds boo everything. During Roland Garros, they boo their own players, any player that questions a call, referees, any player that grunts, and so on. Nadal's won there a million times and they barely cheer when he wins the entire tournament. They made Serena Williams cry. And then there's that final between Graf and Hingis with the crowd chanting "Steffi, Steffi" while play was going on and booing Martina's every move.

Anyway, I wouldn't take it so personally. Though I think the booing during the interview was classless, it's not the first time a ref has been booed and that's almost a pastime in all sports.

I can see why Chan won, but he leaves me dead. Dai, Yuzuru, Brian...they all had better, more exciting performances. So while I don't necessarily disagree, Chan's skate was a big fat MEH.
    Yeah I think they want Fed to win which I don't blame them but maybe they are just tired of Nadal winning.

On the Ice
    It was quite clear that Patric would win whatever he does, so...at least he didn't break any record or win by 20+ this time But overall, I' happy with this! Daisuke and Hanyu were great and much deserve to be on a podium. And Brian's program might be a 2004 deja vu, but c'mon, he did a really great job today! Loved how he was happy after the skate
    (And Kevin was another highlight for me, that 3-3-3?!)

Page 52 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast