Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 1262

Thread: Men Free Skates

  1. #796
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,588
    If the crowd was booing, it is unfortunate that it wasn't directed only at the judges. But they do have a right to boo. Before we all sit on our high horse and criticize the crowd for being uneducated on the judging system, it's the revenue from those ticket holders that help make the event happen. The sport is not viable if it only caters to the very few who understand the intricacies of the scoring.

  2. #797
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    135
    I wouldn't even compare Chan with Takahashi or Hanyu. I just question the 'absolute' value of his IN, which is 9.21. That is higher than any other scores he got for other components. OK, his SS is great but that is 9.11. Honestly what is so special about his interpretation? I re-read the definition in the rules:
    The personal and creative translation of the music to movement on ice.
    To reward the skater who through movement creates a personal and creative translation of the music.
    As the tempo binds all notes in time, the ability to use the tempos and rhythms of the music in a variety
    of ways, along with the subtle use of finesse to reflect the nuances of all the fundamentals of music:
    melody, rhythm, harmony, color, texture, and form creates a mastery of interpretation
    .
    I don't get any feeling, evocation, color, or texture from his skating about this espagnol music.
    I may be old fashioned but compare John Curry's Olympic EX and his little piece on Carmen. That IS interpretation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26Bb8bh3EM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYlSFtQjoo

  3. #798
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Haha, I wish Patrick skated a clean program so he can win with "dignity" (as they say). But oh well....there's next year :D

  4. #799
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    For once, I felt sorry for Chan. The crowd was just so rude, it was horrible. He didn't give himself those scores. And he landed two clean quads. The audience needs to educate themselves and understand where Chan is separating himself from everyone else.
    Ah, what about all you Chan-ubers educate yourselves about what figure skating is truly all about: athleticism and artistry combined. Artistry has never been allowed to take precedence over athleticism, but in the sport of figure skating, neither should athleticism and technical skills always trump artistry. A balance should be achieved, which has gone by the wayside under IJS. Chan's artistry is okay but not better than that of a lot of guys, including Dai, Hanyu, Abbott, Ten, even Rippon, and among the guys not here: Johnny Weir (if he returns). Jason Brown, Joshua Farris, and Armin can give Chan a run for the money in regards to actual artistry (and I'm not talking about blade placement skills either). Of course these younger guys are not close to being in Chan's league when it comes to the experience of competing at a senior level, but Jason no question has better artistry than Chan, and Farris and Armin are at least equal to better than Chan in terms of artistry. The up-and-coming Han Yan lacks nothing but experience when it comes to competing against Chan on an artistry and technical level (and that is b/c Han still has work to do on his artistry and presentation skills).

    For God's sake, even Jonathan Cassar has better artistic skills than Patrick Chan, but alas Cassar will never be in Chan's "league" due to not being strong technically -- he can't land 3-axels or quads, but I'd rather watch Cassar skate all day. Chan, not so much.

  5. #800
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Does anyone of the medal ceremony? Yuzuru was so cute, jumping for joy.

    He left his coach in tears..awww....

  6. #801
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaCampo View Post
    I wouldn't even compare Chan with Takahashi or Hanyu. I just question the 'absolute' value of his IN, which is 9.21. That is higher than any other scores he got for other components. OK, his SS is great but that is 9.11. Honestly what is so special about his interpretation? I re-read the definition in the rules:
    The personal and creative translation of the music to movement on ice.
    To reward the skater who through movement creates a personal and creative translation of the music.
    As the tempo binds all notes in time, the ability to use the tempos and rhythms of the music in a variety
    of ways, along with the subtle use of finesse to reflect the nuances of all the fundamentals of music:
    melody, rhythm, harmony, color, texture, and form creates a mastery of interpretation
    .
    I don't get any feeling, evocation, color, or texture from his skating about this espagnol music.
    I may be old fashioned but compare John Curry's Olympic EX and his little piece on Carmen. That IS interpretation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26Bb8bh3EM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYlSFtQjoo
    Thank you, Stella Campo!

    And, Becki: Chan will win and continue winning, with or without dignity, clean or not. ISU Judges have spoken and they are not finished sending us the message yet.

  7. #802
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Thank you, Stella Campo!

    And, Becki: Chan will win and continue winning, with or without dignity, clean or not. ISU Judges have spoken and they are not finished sending us the message yet.
    No, if you look at the scores today, the gap wasn't insurmountable. Yuzuru's PC improved dramatically, and I believe he will only continue to challenge Patrick technically and artistically. There is no doubt that Yuzuru is the most talented 17 year old male skater in the world today, and will just continue to get better with time.

    Someone mentioned Daisuke looked rather scared when Yuzuru's name was announced for the podium.....in a season or two, Yuzuru might overtake Daisuke to become Japan #1...

  8. #803
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    No, if you look at the scores today, the gap wasn't insurmountable. Yuzuru's PC improved dramatically, and I believe he will only continue to challenge Patrick technically and artistically. There is no doubt that Yuzuru is the most talented 17 year old male skater in the world today, and will just continue to get better with time.

    Someone mentioned Daisuke looked rather scared when Yuzuru's name was announced for the podium.....in a season or two, Yuzuru might overtake Daisuke to become Japan #1...
    I have no doubt Hanyu will surpass Dai soon,
    the only question is will it be after 2014 ?

  9. #804
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    For once, I felt sorry for Chan. The crowd was just so rude, it was horrible. He didn't give himself those scores. And he landed two clean quads. The audience needs to educate themselves and understand where Chan is separating himself from everyone else.
    ISU and Chan supporters have the option to ignore the voice of the public and yell at them "you are a bunch of fools who know nothing about COP". Just don't expect this sport get any more popular than it is.

  10. #805
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Does anyone of the medal ceremony? Yuzuru was so cute, jumping for joy.

    He left his coach in tears..awww....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHMNZ4j60A
    Japanese version of medal ceremony

    Yuzuru's FS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA2Ks...feature=relmfu
    His coach was crying at the end of his program
    The fall on the transition looked like it hurt....
    Last edited by FTnoona; 03-31-2012 at 12:07 PM.

  11. #806
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I have no doubt Hanyu will surpass Dai soon,
    the only question is will it be after 2014 ?
    Hmmmm...hard to say. I still love Daisuke, but I think Hanyu has the youth and technical ability on his side lol

  12. #807
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    No, if you look at the scores today, the gap wasn't insurmountable. Yuzuru's PC improved dramatically, and I believe he will only continue to challenge Patrick technically and artistically. There is no doubt that Yuzuru is the most talented 17 year old male skater in the world today, and will just continue to get better with time.

    Someone mentioned Daisuke looked rather scared when Yuzuru's name was announced for the podium.....in a season or two, Yuzuru might overtake Daisuke to become Japan #1...
    Daisuke will improve too. He went from falling, two-footing and under-rotating on all his quads for every international event this season to cleanly landing two of them at Worlds. I expect his quad rate will improve next year....

  13. #808
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHMNZ4j60A
    Japanese version of medal ceremony
    Funny, in this version I don't hear any booing lol

  14. #809
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I have no doubt Hanyu will surpass Dai soon,
    the only question is will it be after 2014 ?
    Well, people say the same thing about Kozuka last year (and Arthur too).

    Nothing is predictable, next season he may be up or may be down; but I will always remember the spirit he has display throughout this year and how he always is a true fighter.

    And in my heart I still want Dai or him to win Sochi, so I hope Dai keep improving as well.

  15. #810
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    Well, people say the same thing about Kozuka last year (and Arthur too).

    Nothing is predictable, next season he may be up or may be down; but I will always remember the spirit he has display throughout this year and how he always is a true fighter.
    Based on the observation that he is a true fighter, I think there is no where to go but UP =] Remember he said his goal this season is to go to GPF, and make the world team? He said it was going to be hard, but he's going to fight for it. And he did, with a bronze medal to go with it. I don't see that fighter in Artur or Kozuka, unfortunately.

Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •