Page 58 of 85 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Men Free Skates

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    If the crowd was booing Joubert's absence on the podium, wouldn't they have booed all three medalists and not just Chan?
    The French crowd has obviously not forgotten Patrick's comments and war of words with Joubert a few years ago!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    The French crowd has obviously not forgotten Patrick's comments and war of words with Joubert a few years ago!
    or Patrick didn't deserve the high scores? lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    I think everyone is not complaing about Chan TES, its about their PCS difference. TES wise, Chan got what he got fair and square. No one can deny his two quad and 3A are just well done, and rightly deserve the +GOE mark. Dai did gives up points here and there with his two footed quad, and 3A+3T where the back end triple got two footed too.
    But PCS wise, both Dai and Chan should have been tie, at least. Overallm the placement was right, coz Chan did have 4 points cushion from SP.
    I'm not quite sure if Chan got his TES fair and square. Despite landing 2 quads, Chan had 5.9 points LESS in Base Value in comparison to takahashi (Chan = 74, Dai= almost 80). And in the execution of the jumps, Chan had a fall and his combo (w/ the 2s) was bad. He was simply well overscored overall and Dai was definitely held back.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    or Patrick didn't deserve the high scores? lol
    And which scores are those? He scored a "0" on the axel. You can argue his 5+ points over Dai in PCS, but even if tied him or Dai got scored a bit higher, Chan still somes out on top.

Rinkside
    Congratulations Patrick Chan! Excellent performance, despite the tiny errors. In fact, there have been MANY a gold medals won at this level with errors in the routines for the greatest men's and women's champions in the IJS era.

For those in France who were supporting the other competitors, it is RUDE to boo the winner, no matter the grievances. I am guessing this could be attributed to the local Joubert fans. S of France locals have proven themselves to have the sophistication of NASCAR and World Wrestling Federation fans. Well done!
    Last edited by Zulu Romeo; 03-31-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    What a "drama". When did we last have a world champion that was boo-ed? Congrats to Chan on making one more Guiness record. And congrats to ISU on one more fat nail in the coffin "Popularity of FS". Poor Patrick. He couldn't collect the audience in his training rink in Colorado. He is as "popular" in Russia as Evan. Now he lost his business in Japan too. Who wants to see such an umai-ne-champ for 20, 000 yen for a ticket . I almost pity him.

Dai looked incredibly handsome and happy. He said to Fuji TV that of course he is glad that he got a silver medal but still he regrets that he didn't get a gold one. Next time he will do his best to get the gold. He also was very grateful to the French audience for all the support that they expressed to him . Dai-dude, they are French for a reason, with their taste in perfumes, fashion, wine and food. Of course they couldn't not fall in love with you. Enjoy it!

Yuzuru was overjoyed like a real 17yo kid. He said to TV that he still can't believe that he got a medal. He was very happy to be on the world podium together with Dai and Chan, this success gave him confidence and that since now and then he will try to be on the podium every time ! Well, he joined the noble company of Plush and Yag who both won a bronze medal on their first appearance at Wolds. Btw, for those who don't remember, when Plush was asked who he thinks can win the Worlds, he gave exactly these three names. And he was right.
    Thanks for giving us the results of the interviews. How charming both the Japanese skaters are! I'm so glad they both did so well. I can't wait to see their programs.

I was rooting for Daisuke to win gold. But I gather Chan did a great job, and congratulations to him. The one thing I can neither stand nor understand is booing him on the podium. He skated his very best and gave it his all, as every other skater tried to do. This isn't the ancient Roman Olympics, where the Emperor Nero took part and expected to win every event he was in. This is a serious, excellent athlete who doesn't have any power over the judges. He did not intimidate any judge or other competitor or cheat in his program. He deserves polite applause at the very least--not boos. Not ever.

Custom Title
    “On the double Axel it was a combination of being a bit late to the music and it being a long program. I lost concentration a bit,” said Chan. (http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...nores-the-boos).
    Late to the music, finishing behind the music = 9.0s CH and IN?

“The whole point is that I didn’t skate necessarily lights out but the thing is I skated smart and just made sure those little details were done well,” Chan said.
    Which PCS category includes the ability of projecting to or connecting with the audience? Boos from the audience certainly tells us how successful the connection/projection was made.

"Insiders know that Chan’s pure skating skills and flow are well above anyone else’s at the moment, even though Takahashi and a few others have great feet and feel too."
    Chan has the best skating skills, but under the current judging system it is only one of the five categories in PCSs. If the judges like to assign similar scores across all categories without actually differentiating them based on the prescribed criteria and actual performance, let's get rid of all categories and name it "Skating Skills" instead.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Patrick can now put the experience and success of defending a Worlds title in his pocket, pulled out as he needs it next times.

He can use the booing like he used the Olympics experience. Onwards and Upwards indeed.

Gan bei.
    It's hard this time not only because this is his first time to defend his title, but also because of the unusual competition time - as I pointed out before, the time is the worst for skaters from North America.

The booing can't be worse than being stabbed on the back by your reporter friend right before an important competition. I wouldn't worry about it if I were him. I do think he still needs to learn how to overcome the nervouseness in order to win the gold in Sochi. I thought he had taken care of the problem, but his performance today showed he still has a long way to go.

Overall, it's has been a great season for Patrick and his fans. I am drinking a glass of wine as I am typing. Life is good. Gan Bei.
    Last edited by Boeing787; 03-31-2012 at 04:26 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0geB1...6cFAAAAAAAAAAA

Olympia this is for you. Dai's FS.

Custom Title
    Here is the men's medal ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHMNZ4j60A

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    “On the double Axel it was a combination of being a bit late to the music and it being a long program. I lost concentration a bit,” said Chan. (http://www.thespec.com/sports/articl...nores-the-boos).
    Late to the music, finishing behind the music = 9.0s CH and IN?

“The whole point is that I didn’t skate necessarily lights out but the thing is I skated smart and just made sure those little details were done well,” Chan said.
    Which PCS category includes the ability of projecting to or connecting with the audience? Boos from the audience certainly tells us how successful the connection/projection was made.

"Insiders know that Chan’s pure skating skills and flow are well above anyone else’s at the moment, even though Takahashi and a few others have great feet and feel too."
    Chan has the best skating skills, but under the current judging system it is only one of the five categories in PCSs. If the judges like to assign similar scores across all categories without actually differentiating them based on the prescribed criteria and actual performance, let's get rid of all categories and name it "Skating Skills" instead.
    Thanks for the link!

Banned
    Ingo Steuer knows what he is talking about if it wasn`t for that double axel there would be no talk, and V&M were brilliant the response was not underwhelming i sense the crowd had some sort of grudge with canada`s top skaters seems they haven`t forgotten Canadians calling the head of their federation Didier Guaillaguet the biggest crook in skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks for giving us the results of the interviews. How charming both the Japanese skaters are! I'm so glad they both did so well. I can't wait to see their programs.

I was rooting for Daisuke to win gold. But I gather Chan did a great job, and congratulations to him. The one thing I can neither stand nor understand is booing him on the podium. He skated his very best and gave it his all, as every other skater tried to do. This isn't the ancient Roman Olympics, where the Emperor Nero took part and expected to win every event he was in. This is a serious, excellent athlete who doesn't have any power over the judges. He did not intimidate any judge or other competitor or cheat in his program. He deserves polite applause at the very least--not boos. Not ever.
    The crowd booed at Chan to indicate that they were angry with the unfair results. What other way could they find to indicate to those judges that they didn't agree to the score given to Patrick Chan? They booed at one judge when they could, but there was no other way to show them that it wasn't fair. Sometimes you have to do something that is not very polite to show disapproval. The crowd has the right to show those judges that they don't agree with the cheating and pre-determined results. Congrats to them to have the guts and not pretend everything is OK with this result.

Custom Title
    Btw, who was the commentator for universal sports?

that guy is awful! when Yuzuru landed his quad, he said "there it is, look how......simple....not simple, very difficult"

Fail...

Custom Title
    it sounded like Peter Curuthers (sp?) to me and, I hate to say it because he is so informed, but his commentating grated badly on my nerves in this and many other examples.

Page 58 of 85 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast