Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1262

Thread: Men Free Skates

  1. #1141
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    In fact Patrick was able to do it when he was 17. Just check his ex numbers like Yesterday and Time to Say Goodbye.
    I just watched his Time to Say Goodbye. Good skating skills, that's all I can say about it. He can skate it to any classical music with the same facial expression and still have the same effect--Good skating, that's all.

    Jeffrey Buttle's choreography is not easy. It demands perfect execution. Any tiny flaws will stand out like a sore thumb. I hate to nitpick Chan's near-perfect performance, so great and so touching that it deserves only praise, but in order to explain my point that a "simple-looking" program is not necessarily easy, I'm afraid I have to do just that. On my first viewing of his gala program, I noticed, for instance, the following:
    1. At 3:33, he looked down and soon there was a scratching sound. I don't know the technical side of the skating, but the smoothness of his skating was fleetingly interrupted. And I felt it right away.
    2. At 3:18, he had a one-foot gliding move (signature move of Jeffrey's). It was supposed to be gliding on a straight line, but his left foot (the gliding foot) "wobbled" a little (snaking due to an unstable edge or an uneven ice surface?). And I spotted it right away.

    My point: Perfect execution is a very difficult thing to do. Being able to achieve it is a demonstration of extraordinary skills (a combination of both sportsmanship and art).
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 04-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.

  2. #1142
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by let’s talk View Post
    Fuji TV
    What’s Fuji TV’s youtube channel? I tried https://www.youtube.com/user/fuji-tv/ but didn’t find anything.

  3. #1143
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Oh, no. Here you are enitrely wrong. Chan not doesn't like being booed, he simply doesn't care about the audience with ears wide shut. He also doesn't care about competitors and fair play playing a generous guy who gave them little chances. If it's really what he is thinking (and I think it is), then it must be suck being like that. http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...g-championship
    Yeah, I've read the article. Another thoughtless comment from Chan.

    I hope he is at least smart enough to realize than he'll never be adored like a rock star and it's unlikely for him to get another major sponsor anytime soon. It would be hard for any business to sell products or services using an athlete with this kind of controversy attached.
    Last edited by mikeko666; 04-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.

  4. #1144
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    I hope he is at least smart enough to realize than he'll never be adored like a rock star and it's unlikely for him to get another major sponsor anytime soon. It would be hard for any business to sell products or services using an athlete with this kind of controversy attached.
    I think Patrick knows it. Getting more sponsorship is not his goal for continuing skating. He and every skater in North America are facing the same dilemma. Not just him.

  5. #1145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    What’s Fuji TV’s youtube channel? I tried https://www.youtube.com/user/fuji-tv/ but didn’t find anything.
    Oh, pardon. I clarified the original post. Fuji TV there was the name of TV broadcoast. The youtube channel is icechannel2011: www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QdXaZsUxs

  6. #1146
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    I hope he is at least smart enough to realize than he'll never be adored like a rock star and it's unlikely for him to get another major sponsor anytime soon. It would be hard for any business to sell products or services using an athlete with this kind of controversy attached.
    I didn't even think of this, but you're probably right. That's a shame. He still has time to quiet the controversy. I really hope he concentrates on clean programs next season even if he slips to silver a couple times (). All that should matter now is Sochi.

  7. #1147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think Patrick knows it. Getting more sponsorship is not his goal for continuing skating. He and every skater in North America are facing the same dilemma. Not just him.
    Lol at one more thoughtless comment. Well, first of all there is no skater in North America or anywhere in the world with such controversional wins and loud badmouthing. But that's beside the point. The point is his unfair wins doesn't belong to him entirely as some private possession, like his car or shoes. They belong to FS. They damage accountabilty of this sport and damage considerably. But hell yeah, he doesn't care, as his talking proves.

  8. #1148
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    So why not come up with a scoring system that's not going to result in booing? I know, I know. The reactive argument against that is to say that fans will not be satisfied no matter how much CoP changes. But it seems like the major suggestion being made this time around, to make sure that PCS categories are separately evaluated more accurately, is doable, and even before this incidence had occured, has been pointed out as a weakness of CoP, so why not just do it? It may not prevent all future booing, but it would have prevented this particular booing because Dai would have won the long, with Patrick stilling winning overall, which I think would have satisfied both casual 'ignorant' fans and more serious 'knowlegable' fans.

  9. #1149
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think Patrick knows it. Getting more sponsorship is not his goal for continuing skating. He and every skater in North America are facing the same dilemma. Not just him.
    I think right now only in Japan and Korea can their top figure skating athletes achieve rock star status. I don't know about in European countries though.

  10. #1150
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    All major spectator sports continually tweak their rules in an attempt to attract more fans and to provide a product to their market that is as attractive as possible.
    Do they? The NFL now fines for the "excessive celebration" in the endzone, as well as the hard hitting tackles. In the past these were allowed and were celebrated. Fans still wonder why these rules were made (especially the former one, the latter actually makes sense and most people booed the Saints coaches after they were found guilty of paying their players extra to make those injury causing hits).

  11. #1151
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet
    And Takahashi skated in slower speed which has helped him tremendously in performance.
    I really don't want to get into this argument, because I like both of them. But if you ask me who is the most favorite, Daisuke, of course. So I'd like to tell you that Daisuke intentionally skated a little slower in the first part of his FP in order to emphasize the energy and speed of the second part. OTOH, Patrick skates with the same speed from start to the end in almost all of his programs. For me it looks rather plain, but I know it requires more physical strength and probably is smarter way to get higher PCS, though.
    Last edited by carignan; 04-02-2012 at 01:18 PM.

  12. #1152
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    I just watched his Time to Say Goodbye. Good skating skills, that's all I can say about it. He can skate it to any classical music with the same facial expression and still have the same effect--Good skating, that's all.

    Jeffrey Buttle's choreography is not easy. It demands perfect execution. Any tiny flaws will stand out like a sore thumb. I hate to nitpick Chan's near-perfect performance, so great and so touching that it deserves only praise, but in order to explain my point that a "simple-looking" program is not necessarily easy, I'm afraid I have to do just that. On my first viewing of his gala program, I noticed, for instance, the following:
    1. At 3:33, he looked down and soon there was a scratching sound. I don't know the technical side of the skating, but the smoothness of his skating was fleetingly interrupted. And I felt it right away.
    2. At 3:18, he had a one-foot gliding move (signature move of Jeffrey's). It was supposed to be gliding on a straight line, but his left foot (the gliding foot) "wobbled" a little (snaking due to an unstable edge or an uneven ice surface?). And I spotted it right away.

    My point: Perfect execution is a very difficult thing to do. Being able to achieve it is a demonstration of extraordinary skills (a combination of both sportsmanship and art).
    That's truly educational. Thanks a lot.

  13. #1153
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Oh, and another advantage of adopting skatinginbc's proposal of properly and separately judging the PCS categories would be that Morosov would no longer be able to choreograph his programs in the way that he does now. Isn't that a good incentive?

  14. #1154
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    Plus, I don't think Patrck will win if he skates like JC. Not much upper body movement, no change of the center of gravity of the body.
    Curry is portraying ballet. His carriage is perfect for the program throughout.

    (Um, by JC you did mean John Curry, right? The other JC can skate on water. )

  15. #1155
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    ^

Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •