Page 78 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1262

Thread: Men Free Skates

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Do they? The NFL now fines for the "excessive celebration" in the endzone, as well as the hard hitting tackles. In the past these were allowed and were celebrated. Fans still wonder why these rules were made (especially the former one, the latter actually makes sense and most people booed the Saints coaches after they were found guilty of paying their players extra to make those injury causing hits).
    Yes, I think the excessive celebration rules were pout in because they made football and football players look ridiculous to fans.

I also think that fans do not like the idea of players deliberately trying to injure each other. (I might be wrong on tnat one, though.)

Custom Title
    Hockey fans would revolt if fighting was taken out of the game or checking wasn't allowed. I know it's not the same, but I think, even though it can easily be life threatening, fans love the hits and huge tackles. Nothing to do with skating though, or maybe we should put them all on the rink together and may the last skater standing win lol. JK

Mathman, that JC comment is hilarious!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Curry is portraying ballet. His carriage is perfect for the program throughout.

(Um, by JC you did mean John Curry, right? The other JC can skate on water. )
    John Curry was indeed the skating Jesus Christ! But you can't expect Patrick to do quads and 3A and still land like he did! That's not human!

Curry is portraying ballet. His carriage is perfect for the program throughout.

(Um, by JC you did mean John Curry, right? The other JC can skate on water. )
    love it...

Actually if you all must know, Mathman pays the ISU and judges handsomely to make sure Patrick Chan wins everything no matter what - just because he's worried without the wins nothing will be discussed on the boards. So he and the ISU are thinking of you every time Chan wins. Doesn't that make you all feel better?

Lame attempt at humor on a Monday morning.

Yes, I think the excessive celebration rules were pout in because they made football and football players look ridiculous to fans.

I also think that fans do not like the idea of players deliberately trying to injure each other. (I might be wrong on tnat one, though.)
    Actually most fans that I know or have read comments on hate that they can no longer celebrate (biggest beef is that the Greenbay Packers are "grandfathered out" of that rule with their Lombardi Leap). Some dances in the end zone were ridiculous I will admit... but some grandstanding should be allowed, especially on amazing plays... on basic run the ball one yard into the endzone, no that's excessive, but a run all the way down the field with no one touching you? that's cause for celebration.

The tackling for blood - especially the way the Saints did it - I agree most fans don't like, but some other tackles that were allowed even 10 years ago that aren't now? Just because someone MIGHT get hurt seems kinda funny considering any tackle has that same amount of "might" attached to it. Deliberately taking out players is never ok, but limiting tackles seems kinda stupid to me.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 04-02-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let’s talk View Post
    We don't have to wait for 10 years to check it up. It's all out there in the Universe Internet- who is the most viewed skater, and by a huge gap: Eurosport (youtube channel frida340): Dai-1,941 views, Chan- 972 views; RaiSport-2 (youtube channel LaRiservaNice2012): Dai- 14,870 views, Chan- 7, 796 views; France-2 (youtube channel MsGaoz): Dai- 1,161 views, Chan-575 views; Fuji TV (youtube channel icechannel2011): Dai- 32,688 views, Chan- 16, 257 views, etc. I can continue but I think the tendency is pretty clear- regardless of viewers' nationality and/or location, Dai is minimum twice more popular than Chan and therefore he has more chances to hit the Plush LP Euro record of 105,758 views (channnel PlushenkoINFO) than our "true"champion.
    Thank you, let’s talk. It’s amazing to re-watch all those different versions of the same programs and to see who’s the most viewed skater. I expected Daisuke to be the most viewed skater at the men’s comp because I know he’s a superstar and I also really like his LP. However, after visiting those channels, I was surprised to see the following viewing numbers:

Eurosport:
    Patrick: 1,143
    Daisuke: 1,808
    Hanyu: 2,766

Rai-sport:
    Patrick: 8,091
    Daisuke: 15,214
    Hanyu: 43,793

France-2:
    Patrick: 604
    Daisuke: 1,199
    Hanyu: 3,244

Fuji TV:
    Patrick: 16,257
    Daisuke: 32,688
    Hanyu: 48,853

OMG! I’m speechless. Even though I like Hanyu I totally didn’t expect him to be viewed more than twice as much as Daisuke and Patrick on some of the youtube channels…

Okay, I'll make it one more post. It's no secret that skating is very popular in Japan - more so than in other places, so I'm not sure that tells you all that much about global popularity.

FWIW, as far as I can tell the most viewed skating programs on Youtube are a little girl skating to Whip My Hair (most viewed) Plushenko's Sex Bomb (performance by a competitive skater), Yu-Na Kim's 2007 Worlds SP (competitive program) and Rubleva and Sheffer's 2009 Euros CD (honorable mention). I am sure we all know why that last one is so popular, but this is a G-rated forum.

Custom Title
    Hehe I knew Hanyu's would be the most viewed, marked Romeo and Juliet it as my fav since the beginning of the season when he did at a Japanese ex show.

Isn't it ironic it is the bronze medalist that bring eyeballs to the sport? Attention ISU, perhaps you should reconsider a new poster boy and give him the PCS he deserves.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Okay, I'll make it one more post. It's no secret that skating is very popular in Japan - more so than in other places, so I'm not sure that tells you all that much about global popularity.

FWIW, as far as I can tell the most viewed skating programs on Youtube are a little girl skating to Whip My Hair (most viewed) Plushenko's Sex Bomb (performance by a competitive skater), Yu-Na Kim's 2007 Worlds SP (competitive program) and Rubleva and Sheffer's 2009 Euros CD (honorable mention). I am sure we all know why that last one is so popular, but this is a G-rated forum.
    Figure skating is very popular in Korea, too, especially when related to Yuna. Yes I googled and Fuji TV is a Japanese channel, so that’s why all 3 skaters are more viewed on Fuji TV channel than on other channels. I’m a little surprised about the popularity on Rai-sport though.

Tripping on the Podium
    You know, I think that is a big part of the problem right there.

Leaving individual skaters out of it, suppose the audience sees a skater fall, stumble, make obvious errors in execution, while doing nothing special in terms of performance art. Then the scores come up. WHOA! Look at those whopping marks! This was a spectacular performance, and if you don't believe it then you are an ignoramus who hasn't studied his CoP!

To me, there is a bit of ISU flim-flam going on. No, Speedy, the audience can't see the Emperor's New Clothes.
    "a bit of ISU flim-flam" IMO Men's and Ladies and Dance have cinquanta's finprints all over it!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    Thank you, let’s talk. It’s amazing to re-watch all those different versions of the same programs and to see who’s the most viewed skater. I expected Daisuke to be the most viewed skater at the men’s comp because I know he’s a superstar and I also really like his LP. However, after visiting those channels, I was surprised to see the following viewing numbers:

Eurosport:
    Patrick: 1,143
    Daisuke: 1,808
    Hanyu: 2,766

Rai-sport:
    Patrick: 8,091
    Daisuke: 15,214
    Hanyu: 43,793

France-2:
    Patrick: 604
    Daisuke: 1,199
    Hanyu: 3,244

Fuji TV:
    Patrick: 16,257
    Daisuke: 32,688
    Hanyu: 48,853

OMG! I’m speechless. Even though I like Hanyu I totally didn’t expect him to be viewed more than twice as much as Daisuke and Patrick on some of the youtube channels…
    i am surprised too, guess Hanyu's popularity is going to be soaring in Japan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    Figure skating is very popular in Korea, too, especially when related to Yuna. Yes I googled and Fuji TV is a Japanese channel, so that’s why all 3 skaters are more viewed on Fuji TV channel than on other channels. I’m a little surprised about the popularity on Rai-sport though.
    Rai-sport is "popular" because the upload is very quick. People who can't wait watch the performances on Rai-sport first. Euro-sport (Freda's British Euro-sport) usually uploads later; that's why the viewing numbers are small at present. Whoever Freda is, I thank her. I always like to hear these British guys' commentary. I wish I could understand Russian and understand what Russian commentators are saying.
    My favourite is Rai-sport, which I watch live at home. I thank Rai for their extensive coverage and their very professional commentary. They spot all the wrong edges, U/R, etc (when the Brits miss them). They now get information from the ISU re judging real time and tell you about review calls on jumps etc. Long live Rai-sport. For that alone I cheer for Caro!! (Sorry for digression and btw I have no conflict of interest. I have no tie with Rai!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    FWIW, as far as I can tell the most viewed skating programs on Youtube are a little girl skating to Whip My Hair.
    7,531,602 views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxpjtcBAG8

Custom Title
    Aww, she's so cute!

Custom Title
    So the "real" champion or King of Hearts is Hanyu! I have no problem with it!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    So the "real" champion or King of Hearts is Hanyu! I have no problem with it!
    He's a dream, a rare, beautiful gem, but I hope the Japanese media gives him some space and allows him to breathe and live life and train comfortably and as normally as possible. I would really hate to see him endure what happened to Midori Ito in the leadup to the Albertville Olympics. The immense weight of overwhelming pressure and expectation was too burdensome for her to endure. Even though she should be nothing but proud of her Olympic silver, there is absolutely no question that she easily could have won the gold given the rather lackluster skating in the LP there.

Page 78 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 LastLast