Can Volosozhar/Trankov push Savchenko/Szolkowy from the top pair position? | Golden Skate

Can Volosozhar/Trankov push Savchenko/Szolkowy from the top pair position?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Can Volosozhar/Trankov push Savchenko/Szolkowy from the top pair position?

The margin was SOOO small between them! Actually I thought V/T would take the 3d place, but when I saw their skate I thought that S/S and V/T rivalry is for real..It was like watching a dancing competition when you look at 2 pairs competing for the 1st place.I got that feeling.

By the way, what should V/T do to be the 1st?

V/T definitely can push them from the top. They've got everything to reminisce Russian pairs dominance, lines, sophistication, power. All they have to do is find a decent choreographer. No more Morozov! As long as they are stuck with him, there's no way they can beat S/S's creative, very inventively artistic programs.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
yes they can
Tarasova maybe can give them better choreography :)

but why do many skaters chose Morozov, :confused: I don't get his appeal and his choreographies are lame and cheesy
Leonova, Ando, Lipnitskaya, Amodio, Kovtun, I/K, V/T are all choreohgraphed by Morozov

yes they can

but why do many skaters chose Morozov, :confused: I don't get his appeal and his choreographies are lame and cheesy
Leonova, Ando, Lipnitskaya, Amodio, Kovtun, I/K, V/T are all choreohgraphed by Morozov

It seems that Russia federation has great faith in Morozov in his ability purely based on results, no matter the quality.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
They would have done it here easily if they didnt do a nightmarish short program. I expect Volsozhar & Trankov to pass the Germans easily next season. The Germans will never keep this kind of consistency, it is the only time in their careers they have performed as close to error free as they were this season and to a lesser degree last. Plus they are getting old, especialy him. V&T can only get better.

paircheck

Final Flight
i think that V/T are technically stronger than S/S in solo jumps (3S + 3T... maybe sequence 3T §T next season) ... 3LTw of course and spins...
S/S have better throws, pairspin ... choreography

i am a big fan of S/S esspecially i lobe their fp this season... but ... i don t think that they can win @ sotchi olympics, because of figure skating politics....

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
yes they can

Because the judges buy it, that's why. :bang:

V/T definitely can push them from the top. They've got everything to reminisce Russian pairs dominance, lines, sophistication, power. All they have to do is find a decent choreographer. No more Morozov! As long as they are stuck with him, there's no way they can beat S/S's creative, very inventively artistic programs.

V/T would probably have won had it not been for the SP. It was extremely close, and technically they are better than the Germans. ;)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
V/T need Moskvina. Maybr Yuko will quit? V/T should Beat S/S next year. Robin/Aliona are tricks and contortion. V/T deserved the gold-they are a real pair-best of Russia-love them-beautiful skate -great program for silver.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Robin/Aliona are tricks and contortion.

At least Robin and Aliona actually have real choreography with creative transitions in and out of many of their elements. That's certainly not something you can say about Volosozhar/Trankov, as talented as they are.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
creative but ugly=i think cop makes them do ugly moves...they could be more classical i'm sure. just love v/t-pj kwon picked them for gold this year. too bad.

evangeline

Record Breaker
creative but ugly=i think cop makes them do ugly moves...they could be more classical i'm sure. just love v/t-pj kwon picked them for gold this year. too bad.

Not every pairs team is required to skate in the Russian classical pairs style (and this is coming from someone who LOVES the Russian classical pairs style). It would be terribly boring to watch pairs if that were the case. Robin and Aliona have their own more modern style, and it works for them. Their stylistic range is diverse and I for one appreciate a pairs team that tries to be creative and stretches themselves artistically. It's not like they're unpolished or have horrible line, posture and positions at all.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Actually they could win here if Trankov wouldn't start to hit his own chest during the last spin like a gorilla arrogantly showing first with his finger.
I think that hurted them more than 0,11 points....
ACtually I'm happy they didn't do it.
This guy looks great but seems to be a "case" which difficult to handle.
It is the bad luck of Voloshozar, but -at least- she got a partner who can skate...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
They would have done it here easily if they didnt do a nightmarish short program. I expect Volsozhar & Trankov to pass the Germans easily next season. The Germans will never keep this kind of consistency, it is the only time in their careers they have performed as close to error free as they were this season and to a lesser degree last. Plus they are getting old, especialy him. V&T can only get better.

This is not true, last season was S/S's most consistent season actually.Plus S/S were not in top form at worlds because of her injury.How do you know they won't keep this kind of consistency? As the Chinese pair showed you are never too late to win olympic gold. And if they add the throw 3A in both their programs they will have the technical advantage. I am not saying V/T won't win next worlds(people said the same thing last year though) but at this level I don't think we can talk about surpassing. I believe this rivalry will be ON at Olys with both pairs having a chance to win if they skate close to clean

Redstone

Rinkside
yes they can

Let's not forget that besides aestetic pleasure there's another thing called titles and medals. And let's see what those skaters accomplished with his coaching and/or choreography
1. Leonova - was written off as a place holder for the wonderbabies but got the GPF bronze and Worlds silver
2. Ando - was written oafter the Torino but got the Worlds gold and bunch of other medals
3. Amodio - Euros gold and bronze
4. I/K - got the Euros bronze and were the highest Russian dance team at the Worlds. Seem like starting to get over thir inner crisis
5. Kovtun - the only Russian boy at the JGP
6. V/T (here I do want another choreographer, the problem is that all good ones are taken) - their programs score more than enough the points.
7. Lipnitskaya - here choreo was good enough to win both the Junior Worlds and JGP

Say what you want about Nikolai (and probably those thing will be true) but it's not a matter of the RuFed belief in him but the fact that he can indeed prepare skaters for the competition, insert self-comnfidence in them and work his choreo around the COP (that's choreo's art value is another question).

I believe this rivalry will be ON at Olys with both pairs having a chance to win if they skate close to clean
Though I absolutely adore V/T I'd say this is true. I believe that the next season the V/T will finally be able to get those 0.11-0.16 points they were losing this season against S/S but I doubt aV/T (or S/S for that matter) will win all the face offs between the two pairs

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
PJ Kwon picked the two black swan programs-Ashley and V/T to watch before the gala on CBC. I think the LP was good. It
could have been more dramatic, and Morozov does seem to understand he cannot do crazy stuff with the pairs. I think he did a good job with their LP. His hideous choreo for Alena is another matter. Her SP grew on me, but her LP is simply awful. So I was surprised his best work this season was with a pair. Why can't they work with Moskvina? Is she devoted to Kavaguti/Smirnov? She has had two top couples before, most memorably D/k and B/S. I love her. I would like to see Moskvina coach with Marina Zueva do next year for V/T I agree about magilla gorilla Trankov. He has some ego, eh? Wish he'd be humble. Judges expect that.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
V/T will most likely win Sochi given home country advantage, provided Trankov keeps his nerves. The state he was in after SP reminded me of how he was after Vancouver SP. It would help if they had better choreography but that seems to be a very small issue, given the way they are scored as of now. S/S will unfortunately decline, a real shame. Didn't Maxim & Maria work with Moskvina for a while and it didn't work? Moskvina may be frustrated with K/S and the thought that she will finish the last decade of her distinguished career with less than satisfactory records, but I doubt she wants to take on V/T.

Redstone

Rinkside
Didn't Maxim & Maria work with Moskvina for a while and it didn't work? Moskvina may be frustrated with K/S and the thought that she will finish the last decade of her distinguished career with less than satisfactory records, but I doubt she wants to take on V/T.

The problem is that she tried to take MMMT but kicked them out (with a very polite remark though) because those two fought too much. Dmitriev tried to work with them too but with no success either.
So, Moskvina is out of reach and Tchernyshev's too. He won't do choreo for them because now he's a Moskvina's team choreographer.

Speaking of Maxim's ego it was interisting to read in a recent interview Tatiana openly saying how Trankov was lacking confiedence and belief in himself and that it was quiet shocking to her. I'd never think that.

paircheck

Final Flight
Actually they could win here if Trankov wouldn't start to hit his own chest during the last spin like a gorilla arrogantly showing first with his finger.
I think that hurted them more than 0,11 points....
ACtually I'm happy they didn't do it.
This guy looks great but seems to be a "case" which difficult to handle.
It is the bad luck of Voloshozar, but -at least- she got a partner who can skate...

trankov is arrogant!!!