Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Ashley Wagner proves herself as a VERY good skater

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    I would have had 2nd-4th all much closer. Leonova was overmarked in both programs compared to Suzuki (well just the long in her case) and Wagner, and Wagner was undermarked in both programs compared to both Leonova and Suzuki (the short especialy).

  2. #32
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,201
    Leonova was top 4 in the World last year and so gets a PCS benefit of the doubt to go with that (according to most posters here)

  3. #33
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Leonova was top 4 in the World last year and so gets a PCS benefit of the doubt to go with that (according to most posters here)
    Yep. Leonova has been getting that all season long, usually at the cost of Wagner unfortunately. I still think that Wagner should have gotten the bronze at NHK over Leonova.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Ashley has the right mentality and fortitude to win...! THANK YOU for giving it your all!
    That's what I appreciate about her. She's a fighter. I'm not a fan in general but I loved her long program. I hope, hope she gets something similar next season.

  5. #35
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,549
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Ashley has the right mentality and fortitude to win...! THANK YOU for giving it your all!
    And 1.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    207
    I wonder what it will take for Ashley to finally get a thread titled: "Ashley Wagner shows her greatness", or "There's Ashley, and then there's the rest..."

  7. #37
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,201
    Probably a World Title smashing ALL the records.

  8. #38
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15

    Did Ashley skate that bad in the short

    Does, anyone who has seen the protocals know why she placed so low in the short. Her only noticable mistake was the step out on a fully rotated triple flip forcing her to add the combo to her triple loop.

    Mao - fell hard on an underotated and two footed triple axel
    Carolina - doubled her loop
    Akiko - doubled her lutz
    Ksenia - Skated "clean" but with underotations

    Some of the above skaters placed well ahead of Ashley in the short??? Does the triple toe/ triple toe score so highly that it negates the doubling of the only other triple jump in the program?

  9. #39
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,596
    Quote Originally Posted by lantern_bearer View Post
    Does, anyone who has seen the protocals know why she placed so low in the short. Her only noticable mistake was the step out on a fully rotated triple flip forcing her to add the combo to her triple loop.

    Mao - fell hard on an underotated and two footed triple axel
    Carolina - doubled her loop
    Akiko - doubled her lutz
    Ksenia - Skated "clean" but with underotations

    Some of the above skaters placed well ahead of Ashley in the short??? Does the triple toe/ triple toe score so highly that it negates the doubling of the only other triple jump in the program?
    Ashley's base value was 27.20 which was lower than all the skaters in the top 10 except Carolina and Akiko. Besides the lower value on jumps (obviously a 3f-3t combo is worth a lot more than a 3loop-2t combo) she also go a level 3 spin (she generally gets level 4 on all of them). Regarding 3T-3T. The base value of 3T-3T is 8.2 versus 6.4 for a 3Loop-2T.

    Carolina and Akiko did their elements well enough that they got more +GOE (4.46 for Carolina, 3.77 for Akiko compared to 1.60 for Ashley). Elene G. had a similar base value 27.6 with that single axel, which cost her a lot of points, but she did well enough on the rest of the elements to get stronger +GOE as well (3.26 points).

    Ksenia did not get marked for URs in the SP and had mostly +GOE, though not as high as the otherd. She had the fourth highest base value of the night at 29.10 only getting passed by Kexin Zhang of China (29.70; she beat Ashley in TES, but lost to her in PCS), Alena and Kanako (both had 29.90)

    As for Mao, while the downgraded 3A hurt her for sure, she scored level 4 on all her elements, which probably added some points to make up the difference. Her 3F-2Loop is a decent scoring combination, only 1.1 points behind a 3T-3T. Her base value was 28.6, which was only beat by the four people I mentioned above. Add solid +PCS and you got the reason why she beat Ashley.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 04-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.

  10. #40
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Ashley's base value was 27.20 which was lower than all the skaters in the top 10 except Carolina and Akiko. Besides the lower value on jumps (obviously a 3f-3t combo is worth a lot more than a 3loop-2t combo) she also go a level 3 spin (she generally gets level 4 on all of them). Regarding 3T-3T. The base value of 3T-3T is 8.2 versus 6.4 for a 3Loop-2T.

    Carolina and Akiko did their elements well enough that they got more +GOE (4.46 for Carolina, 3.77 for Akiko compared to 1.60 for Ashley). Elene G. had a similar base value 27.6 with that single axel, which cost her a lot of points, but she did well enough on the rest of the elements to get stronger +GOE as well (3.26 points).

    Ksenia did not get marked for URs in the SP and had mostly +GOE, though not as high as the otherd. She had the fourth highest base value of the night at 29.10 only getting passed by Kexin Zhang of China (29.70; she beat Ashley in TES, but lost to her in PCS), Alena and Kanako (both had 29.90)

    As for Mao, while the downgraded 3A hurt her for sure, she scored level 4 on all her elements, which probably added some points to make up the difference. Her 3F-2Loop is a decent scoring combination, only 1.1 points behind a 3T-3T. Her base value was 28.6, which was only beat by the four people I mentioned above. Add solid +PCS and you got the reason why she beat Ashley.
    Thanks Mrs. P

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,134
    I met Ashley in Nice. Longtime dream come true - you have no idea :-) She's amazing. I'm thrilled with how she skated at worlds; the step-out in the SP was very unfortunate (I think skating last of 12 skaters in a very hot arena where the ice was notoriously bad may have affected her?) but they way she practiced and skated her long program: she looks SO strong! I hope she continues on this high next season. She looked radiating during the LP medal ceremony Plus; John Nicks is great. If there's a John Nicks fan club, I'll definitely join it! If the triple-triple happens next season and she finds programs that she loves and commits to as much as her 'Black Swan' she'll be a strong contender!

    Go Ashley!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •