Ashley Wagner proves herself as a VERY good skater

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I LOVE her this year!She is so good..I wanted her to medal at this worlds

Krislite

Medalist
But she did lose a medal in the short program. Her free program would have been enough for a podium finish had she not botched her short program.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
But she did lose a medal in the short program. Her free program would have been enough for a podium finish had she not botched her short program.

I think the fact that she fought back in the free skate shows the determination she had, which is immensely admirable especially since we've seen so many skaters just "give up" in the free skate over the years.

And to say she "lost a medal" isn't entirely true, depending how you look at it. As Mrs. P pointed out, she got a small bronze, doesn't really count officially, but it still counts. Also, she was eighth in the short program, and Kanako was second, so wouldn't it be more appropriate to say Kanako "lost a medal"?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner's SP, and not being in the final FS group, put her out of GM contention. It was that simple, and it showed in the lowball PCS marks they gave her for that awesome FS. If she wants to take the next step, she's got to learn to hit that short program. That said, this is a big improvement over last year, and if she can stay healthy, she could be a future world medalist. I remember Cohen having a couple 4th place finishes at Worlds before she finally broke through to the podium, so patience and perseverance is required.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She will win a silver or bronze at Worlds next year. Kostner will defend her World title, but Wagner and one other skater will be on the podium with her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She will win a silver or bronze at Worlds next year. Kostner will defend her World title, but Wagner and one other skater will be on the podium with her.

Kostner got the title that she deserved, but I hope if she defends next year it is with more than 5 triples.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Why did they score Ash so low-1 mistake in SP. Should Ash have had bronze and not 4th?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Why did they score Ash so low-1 mistake in SP. Should Ash have had bronze and not 4th?

I thought the judges gave her so-so marks..because of her placement in the short=((( it's like Volosozhar/Trankov - the judges gave them good marks but not so high so that they couldn't be passed if P/T or S/S skated well...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While i'm not that impressed with Wagner as a skater i have to say that over the last 4 years or so Ashley was the one US lady who didn't skate scared at Worlds and went out there and attacked her LP. A far cry from Alissa in 2009, 2012 or Mirai in 2010. I think like most americans i'm tired of seeing our ladies skate with that look of fear in their eyes. Let's hope Gracie has that same toughness to go with her jumps which are probably already the best in the US.

Krislite

Medalist

No. The Russians will sweep the podium. Leonova will win Worlds next year, with silver and bronze going to Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No. The Russians will sweep the podium. Leonova will win Worlds next year, with silver and bronze going to Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova.

If Leonova ever wins Worlds I will stop watching ladies skating. Non gold medals from her I can stomach, but her as World Champion, ugh.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree...Not a Kostner fan, and I didn't like the thought of her being world champ at all, but given a choice between her and Leonova, it's pretty easy honestly...

tulosai

Record Breaker

I don't know about Leonova for gold, but I think a Russian sweep is possible. A lot can happen in a year though. I do believe Ashley has what it takes to be on the podium, especially if she sticks with Nicks and keeps improving her PCS.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't know about Leonova for gold, but I think a Russian sweep is possible. A lot can happen in a year though. I do believe Ashley has what it takes to be on the podium, especially if she sticks with Nicks and keeps improving her PCS.

If Kostner skates like she did 2 days ago, all 3 Russians must be spot on. Not a single bobble. And then maybe they'll give one of them a win. There's no way they would leave Kostner off the podium. Possible but as likely as winning a lottery.

Becki

Medalist
If Kostner skates like she did 2 days ago, all 3 Russians must be spot on. Not a single bobble. And then maybe they'll give one of them a win. There's no way they would leave Kostner off the podium. Possible but as likely as winning a lottery.

It also depends on how Kostner performs at next year's World's, and the if other strong skaters are returning to competition. I remember Shizuka placed 1st in 2004 then dropped 9th in 2005 - anything is possible.

I feel like the Ladies' field was so strong from 2006-2010, while the Men's field was a bit weaker back then. Now, it's the opposite. With that being said, Kostner might still be on the podium next year if the field remains the same.

skfan

Final Flight
to Flattfan's comment on Kostner's skate:

did you think the 2-flip was intentional? i thought her skate wasn't quite perfect, glad as i was to see her triumph before such a supportive crowd.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
to Flattfan's comment on Kostner's skate:

did you think the 2-flip was intentional? i thought her skate wasn't quite perfect, glad as i was to see her triumph before such a supportive crowd.

... How did you get that from her statement? She didn't say anything about the 2F! :confused:

skfan

Final Flight
... How did you get that from her statement? She didn't say anything about the 2F! :confused:

to me 'not a single bobble' means no elements reduced in difficulty, not even intentionally. your mileage may vary.

ETA to flattfan's post again, aside from the 2f, i also saw a tiny stumble in footwork towards the 2nd half of the program.

Last edited: