Ashley Wagner proves herself as a VERY good skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner proves herself as a VERY good skater

aftertherain

Record Breaker
to me 'not a single bobble' means no elements reduced in difficulty, not even intentionally. your mileage may vary.

You misunderstood her. She didn't mean Kostner, she meant the Russian ladies.

She meant that next year, if Kostner skated the same way she did in France, all three Russian contenders must be perfect ("not a single bobble") in order to achieve a Russian sweep at the World Championships.

skfan

Final Flight
You misunderstood her. She didn't mean Kostner, she meant the Russian ladies.

She meant that next year, if Kostner skated the same way she did in France, all three Russian contenders must be perfect ("not a single bobble") in order to achieve a Russian sweep at the World Championships.

you're right. i misunderstood.

macy

Record Breaker
i am so impressed with ashley. she went from not even being considered a threat to a big threat on the international scene. she has accomplished so much this past season and i love her attitude and drive. she has a very bright future and i'm proud of her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, with finishing 4th at Worlds, the judges will take her seriously to START the 2012-13 season.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Ashley was very undermarked in her PCS for her FS... and that is a good thing, because it means at the next major competition, it is likely the Judges will compensate her for it. As long as she doesn't mess up the chance like Mirai had.

I'd really love her to do better, as one of the thoughts came to my mind when I saw her live at a skate show was why isn't she ranked higher. It would be nice to get an US lady that can beat the head game. I like her attack style and how she clearly expresses with her entire body, not just the limbs.

Love her FS program, thought it deserve to be much closer to Carolina's FS which are COP smart rather than artistically satisfying for me personally.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley was very undermarked in her PCS for her FS... and that is a good thing, because it means at the next major competition, it is likely the Judges will compensate her for it.

She will have to skate well in the SP. I think it cost her more on PCS by being in the next-to-last group. Regardless, I don't think she should have gotten the 3+ points in PCS needed to overtake Akiko, but had she skated her best in the SP she probably wouldn't have much of a margin to close.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would have had 2nd-4th all much closer. Leonova was overmarked in both programs compared to Suzuki (well just the long in her case) and Wagner, and Wagner was undermarked in both programs compared to both Leonova and Suzuki (the short especialy).

mskater93

Record Breaker
Leonova was top 4 in the World last year and so gets a PCS benefit of the doubt to go with that (according to most posters here)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Leonova was top 4 in the World last year and so gets a PCS benefit of the doubt to go with that (according to most posters here)

Yep. Leonova has been getting that all season long, usually at the cost of Wagner unfortunately. I still think that Wagner should have gotten the bronze at NHK over Leonova.

lavender

Record Breaker
Ashley has the right mentality and fortitude to win...! THANK YOU for giving it your all!

That's what I appreciate about her. She's a fighter. I'm not a fan in general but I loved her long program. I hope, hope she gets something similar next season.

guanchi

On the Ice
I wonder what it will take for Ashley to finally get a thread titled: "Ashley Wagner shows her greatness", or "There's Ashley, and then there's the rest...":laugh:

lantern_bearer

Rinkside
Did Ashley skate that bad in the short

Does, anyone who has seen the protocals know why she placed so low in the short. Her only noticable mistake was the step out on a fully rotated triple flip forcing her to add the combo to her triple loop.

Mao - fell hard on an underotated and two footed triple axel
Carolina - doubled her loop
Akiko - doubled her lutz
Ksenia - Skated "clean" but with underotations

Some of the above skaters placed well ahead of Ashley in the short??? Does the triple toe/ triple toe score so highly that it negates the doubling of the only other triple jump in the program?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does, anyone who has seen the protocals know why she placed so low in the short. Her only noticable mistake was the step out on a fully rotated triple flip forcing her to add the combo to her triple loop.

Mao - fell hard on an underotated and two footed triple axel
Carolina - doubled her loop
Akiko - doubled her lutz
Ksenia - Skated "clean" but with underotations

Some of the above skaters placed well ahead of Ashley in the short??? Does the triple toe/ triple toe score so highly that it negates the doubling of the only other triple jump in the program?

Ashley's base value was 27.20 which was lower than all the skaters in the top 10 except Carolina and Akiko. Besides the lower value on jumps (obviously a 3f-3t combo is worth a lot more than a 3loop-2t combo) she also go a level 3 spin (she generally gets level 4 on all of them). Regarding 3T-3T. The base value of 3T-3T is 8.2 versus 6.4 for a 3Loop-2T.

Carolina and Akiko did their elements well enough that they got more +GOE (4.46 for Carolina, 3.77 for Akiko compared to 1.60 for Ashley). Elene G. had a similar base value 27.6 with that single axel, which cost her a lot of points, but she did well enough on the rest of the elements to get stronger +GOE as well (3.26 points).

Ksenia did not get marked for URs in the SP and had mostly +GOE, though not as high as the otherd. She had the fourth highest base value of the night at 29.10 only getting passed by Kexin Zhang of China (29.70; she beat Ashley in TES, but lost to her in PCS), Alena and Kanako (both had 29.90)

As for Mao, while the downgraded 3A hurt her for sure, she scored level 4 on all her elements, which probably added some points to make up the difference. Her 3F-2Loop is a decent scoring combination, only 1.1 points behind a 3T-3T. Her base value was 28.6, which was only beat by the four people I mentioned above. Add solid +PCS and you got the reason why she beat Ashley.

Last edited:

lantern_bearer

Rinkside
Ashley's base value was 27.20 which was lower than all the skaters in the top 10 except Carolina and Akiko. Besides the lower value on jumps (obviously a 3f-3t combo is worth a lot more than a 3loop-2t combo) she also go a level 3 spin (she generally gets level 4 on all of them). Regarding 3T-3T. The base value of 3T-3T is 8.2 versus 6.4 for a 3Loop-2T.

Carolina and Akiko did their elements well enough that they got more +GOE (4.46 for Carolina, 3.77 for Akiko compared to 1.60 for Ashley). Elene G. had a similar base value 27.6 with that single axel, which cost her a lot of points, but she did well enough on the rest of the elements to get stronger +GOE as well (3.26 points).

Ksenia did not get marked for URs in the SP and had mostly +GOE, though not as high as the otherd. She had the fourth highest base value of the night at 29.10 only getting passed by Kexin Zhang of China (29.70; she beat Ashley in TES, but lost to her in PCS), Alena and Kanako (both had 29.90)

As for Mao, while the downgraded 3A hurt her for sure, she scored level 4 on all her elements, which probably added some points to make up the difference. Her 3F-2Loop is a decent scoring combination, only 1.1 points behind a 3T-3T. Her base value was 28.6, which was only beat by the four people I mentioned above. Add solid +PCS and you got the reason why she beat Ashley.

Thanks Mrs. P