Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner proves herself as a VERY good skater

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I don't know about Leonova for gold, but I think a Russian sweep is possible. A lot can happen in a year though. I do believe Ashley has what it takes to be on the podium, especially if she sticks with Nicks and keeps improving her PCS.
    If Kostner skates like she did 2 days ago, all 3 Russians must be spot on. Not a single bobble. And then maybe they'll give one of them a win. There's no way they would leave Kostner off the podium. Possible but as likely as winning a lottery.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    If Kostner skates like she did 2 days ago, all 3 Russians must be spot on. Not a single bobble. And then maybe they'll give one of them a win. There's no way they would leave Kostner off the podium. Possible but as likely as winning a lottery.
    It also depends on how Kostner performs at next year's World's, and the if other strong skaters are returning to competition. I remember Shizuka placed 1st in 2004 then dropped 9th in 2005 - anything is possible.

I feel like the Ladies' field was so strong from 2006-2010, while the Men's field was a bit weaker back then. Now, it's the opposite. With that being said, Kostner might still be on the podium next year if the field remains the same.

take off the oven mitts
    to Flattfan's comment on Kostner's skate:

did you think the 2-flip was intentional? i thought her skate wasn't quite perfect, glad as i was to see her triumph before such a supportive crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    to Flattfan's comment on Kostner's skate:

did you think the 2-flip was intentional? i thought her skate wasn't quite perfect, glad as i was to see her triumph before such a supportive crowd.
    ... How did you get that from her statement? She didn't say anything about the 2F!

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    ... How did you get that from her statement? She didn't say anything about the 2F!

to me 'not a single bobble' means no elements reduced in difficulty, not even intentionally. your mileage may vary.

ETA to flattfan's post again, aside from the 2f, i also saw a tiny stumble in footwork towards the 2nd half of the program.
    Last edited by skfan; 04-01-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    to me 'not a single bobble' means no elements reduced in difficulty, not even intentionally. your mileage may vary.
    You misunderstood her. She didn't mean Kostner, she meant the Russian ladies.

She meant that next year, if Kostner skated the same way she did in France, all three Russian contenders must be perfect ("not a single bobble") in order to achieve a Russian sweep at the World Championships.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    You misunderstood her. She didn't mean Kostner, she meant the Russian ladies.

She meant that next year, if Kostner skated the same way she did in France, all three Russian contenders must be perfect ("not a single bobble") in order to achieve a Russian sweep at the World Championships.

you're right. i misunderstood.

Down With It
    Hmm...is this a Wagner thread or a Russian ladies thread?

Is there a presentation of medals for short program winners and long top 3?

Next year is going to be amazing

Tuktamisheva
    Sotnikova
    Gold
    Kostner
    Suzuki
    Murakami
    Asada
    Wagner
    Leona

Custom Title
    Ashley has the right mentality and fortitude to win...! THANK YOU for giving it your all!

i am so impressed with ashley. she went from not even being considered a threat to a big threat on the international scene. she has accomplished so much this past season and i love her attitude and drive. she has a very bright future and i'm proud of her.

Also, with finishing 4th at Worlds, the judges will take her seriously to START the 2012-13 season.

Custom Title
    Ashley was very undermarked in her PCS for her FS... and that is a good thing, because it means at the next major competition, it is likely the Judges will compensate her for it. As long as she doesn't mess up the chance like Mirai had.

I'd really love her to do better, as one of the thoughts came to my mind when I saw her live at a skate show was why isn't she ranked higher. It would be nice to get an US lady that can beat the head game. I like her attack style and how she clearly expresses with her entire body, not just the limbs.

Love her FS program, thought it deserve to be much closer to Carolina's FS which are COP smart rather than artistically satisfying for me personally.
    Last edited by os168; 04-02-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Ashley was very undermarked in her PCS for her FS... and that is a good thing, because it means at the next major competition, it is likely the Judges will compensate her for it.
    She will have to skate well in the SP. I think it cost her more on PCS by being in the next-to-last group. Regardless, I don't think she should have gotten the 3+ points in PCS needed to overtake Akiko, but had she skated her best in the SP she probably wouldn't have much of a margin to close.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast