Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: All 6 bronze winners were first time World medalists! Which one's your favorite?

Custom Title
    It was nice to see them all get a medal. The exuberance of Hanyu was particularly wonderful. The big issue is the bronze curse who will have the dramatic fall from grace - this year we saw Artur Gachinski fall almost as fast as Alissa Czisny. The Shibutani's came down to earth as well with a big spalt. T and T looks the most vulnerable for the splat. They may have peaked and got lucky at world's but we are still waiting for the puberty monster to attack.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Puberty?? Isn't she 20?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    It was nice to see them all get a medal. The exuberance of Hanyu was particularly wonderful. The big issue is the bronze curse who will have the dramatic fall from grace - this year we saw Artur Gachinski fall almost as fast as Alissa Czisny. The Shibutani's came down to earth as well with a big spalt. T and T looks the most vulnerable for the splat. They may have peaked and got lucky at world's but we are still waiting for the puberty monster to attack.
    Puberty monster? Narumi is 20....and Mervin, he's 21 turning 22.

The so called "bronze curse" was only applicable to Artur and Shibutani, as first time medalists in their debut. That's a sample size of two. Others have survived: Yuna (2007), Evan (2005). There are probably a tons more that I am not aware of.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Puberty?? Isn't she 20?
    Yes. She has always been super tiny and hasn't grown for a few years now. I know she looks super young, but she isn't going to grow at this point. There are some fully grown women who happen to be 4'9" and 80 pounds. Few and far between and most of them are in pairs figure skating, but it isn't completely unheard of.

That being said, Narumi should work with a jump coach over the summer. If she can get her jumps more solid, they can be winning lots of medals, and maybe even a world championship down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    The so called "bronze curse" was only applicable to Artur and Shibutani, as first time medalists in their debut. That's a sample size of two. Others have survived: Yuna (2007), Evan (2005). There are probably a tons more that I am not aware of.
    A bronze debut at Worlds did Yags (1997) and Plush (1998) no harm, and Brian Joubert was able to survive doing the same at Euros (which was his first medal internationally - at any level!).

Hanyu has been progressing steadily but rapidly; it's not like he came out of nowhere, he's been building up to this. Barring injury, I think he's going to be the real deal in the long term and may still prove my 2009 prediction wrong (back then, I thought he was great but too young to threaten in time for Sochi, so I picked him for 2018).

nefertiti..reincarnate
    My most favorite bronze victory is T&T.
    My most favorite performance was Yuzuru ... I've never been moved this deep, ever since I started watching figure skating. Must be one of the most memorable performances in history.
    Yuzuru and T&T brought me into flood of tears.
    It seems to me that Yuzuru injured his knee by that fluke fall. He's replaced by Takahiko for the WTT.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 04-04-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling etc

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    My most favorite bronze victory is T&T.
    My most favorite performance was Yuzuru ... I've never been moved this deep, ever since I started watching figure skating. Must be one of the most memorable performance in history.
    Yuzuru and T&T brought me into flood of tears.
    It seems Yuzuru injured his knee by that fluke fall. He's replaced by Takahiko fot the WTT.
    Do you have a link to the source? I kind of suspected that Yuzuru injured himself after the fluke fall because he seemed to be skating a bit off balance (although his jumps were very strong!). Poor bb, hope he has a speedy recovery!! Rest up!!

But I admire him even more now!! Being able to skate like that after falling and hurting himself, it's just beyond amazing. This kid will probably save my love for figure skating haha

*Edit: I found the link: http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsn...il.php?id=1816

It says Yuzuru Hanyu is injured and will be replaced by Takahiko Kozuka, exactly what you said.
    Last edited by Becki; 04-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Do you have a link to the source? I kind of suspected that Yuzuru injured himself after the fluke fall because he seemed to be skating a bit off balance (although his jumps were very strong!). Poor bb, hope he has a speedy recovery!!
    http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/figure/wtt/player.html

Mr Ito commented on Yuzuru as "injured" at the press presentation of the team, televised live.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/figure/wtt/player.html

Mr Ito commented on Yuzuru as "injured" at the press presentation of the team, televised live.

Oh no!!!!! I hope it is not serious.

It amazing to see that even he is injured still able to do that kind of performance.

He is just unreal.

Wish him a super quick recovery.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    That being said, Narumi should work with a jump coach over the summer. If she can get her jumps more solid, they can be winning lots of medals, and maybe even a world championship down the line.
    I was surprised to see Narumi landed 3Sal in SP, and wondered how? and since when? , because 3Sal has been her enemy jump; she seemed never to land it for quite some time, you know.

Prior to this Worlds, Narumi actually visited the Sato Camp, I mean Nobuo & Kumiko in Japan, for personal lessons in order to improve her jumps (sources: Nikkei Shimbun evening ver., date Mar 31), and it did pay in the end.
    And as you suggest, it sounds a good idea for Narumi (and Mervin, too if the circumstances allow it) to keep visiting the Camp regularly from time to time.
    Last edited by deedee1; 04-04-2012 at 03:18 AM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Corrections to by guess.

According to this, Yuzuru Hanyu sprained his right ankle.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...002977330.html

(The sprain already mentioned in another thread in the Edge.)

Doesn't say how and when, so it may still have been from the fluke fall ?... again my guess though.

Medalist
    It was before that. He had to get a painkiller injection before the free skate.

Custom Title
    Yuzuru Hanyu!!! I was so lucky to see his program live and I couldn't stop crying after he had finished!! I was happy for Takahashi Tran! I've always liked them and her reaction in the kiss'n kry was priceless!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3