All 6 bronze winners were first time World medalists! Which one's your favorite? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All 6 bronze winners were first time World medalists! Which one's your favorite?

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Definently Takahashi/Tran. I did not see that happening when the competition began. :yay:

Yuzuru also. He has got to be one of the biggest talents this sport has ever seen. :yes:

The others were not really that surprising, I think.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yuzuru Hanyu is sent from heaven. Can't wait to see him hopefully become even better.

Akiko Suzuki didn't skate quite as astoundingly, but was very lovely and really the best of her event.

I felt P/B did actually deserve their Bronze. It wasn't just home-town cooking (even though their scores were inflated). The level of artistry they present is superior to that of Weaver/Poje.

T/T were a nice surprise.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My favourites are P/B, they have been my favourite dance team since 2010. I hope they continue until Sochi and I can see them doing that. I can see them as bronze medal contenders for the next two years and in Sochi. I think if V/M and D/W both continue, they're locks for the top two spots of the podium. Bronze will probably be a battle between P/B and W/P for the next couple of years, with the Shibutanis and maybe Cappellini/Lanotte in there if the Italians keep improving.

Hanyu - I think he's eventually going to be a World Champion, probably not before Sochi but at some point. He's still so young. I think he will be a medal contender in Sochi though.

Suzuki - She's older than most of the ladies but she bloomed late and I think she'll continue to the Sochi Olympics too. She hasn't been a CLEAR frontrunner in the past, although she has had some good competitions, so it's hard to say where she'll finish. Some people think she's going to retire because she won a world medal, but it seems she just loves skating so much, I can't see that happening now. I hope she is able to make it out of Japan for Sochi actually, what with Ando possibly coming back and Asada and Murakami around too but I think on a good day she's capable of beating all three.

Takahashi/Tran - I'm not sure if I see them winning any more world medals or not. They have great programs but they are so inconsistent. It could be a case like the Shibs, falling to 6th or 7th next year. But as I said about them being on the podium this year, I'm willing to be proven wrong. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think all of them! I cant decide, I think them most unexpected was Hanyu and T/T. But I m happy for many silver and golds also!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I'd say Hanyu. Wasn't sure up until now if I was excited about him or not, but he won me over here. He was great out there, and his reaction when he came out for the medal ceremony was priceless. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of him.

I'm happy to see Akiko Suzuki on the world podium as well, but I'm not as excited about that because I think she coulda/shoulda been higher.

Becki

Medalist
I just realized, the third guys on the men podium, Takahashi (1986), Chan (1990), and Hanyu (1994) are four years of age apart, respectively. :p

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
My favourites are P/B, they have been my favourite dance team since 2010. I hope they continue until Sochi and I can see them doing that. I can see them as bronze medal contenders for the next two years and in Sochi. I think if V/M and D/W both continue, they're locks for the top two spots of the podium. Bronze will probably be a battle between P/B and W/P for the next couple of years, with the Shibutanis and maybe Cappellini/Lanotte in there if the Italians keep improving.

Hanyu - I think he's eventually going to be a World Champion, probably not before Sochi but at some point. He's still so young. I think he will be a medal contender in Sochi though.

Suzuki - She's older than most of the ladies but she bloomed late and I think she'll continue to the Sochi Olympics too. She hasn't been a CLEAR frontrunner in the past, although she has had some good competitions, so it's hard to say where she'll finish. Some people think she's going to retire because she won a world medal, but it seems she just loves skating so much, I can't see that happening now. I hope she is able to make it out of Japan for Sochi actually, what with Ando possibly coming back and Asada and Murakami around too but I think on a good day she's capable of beating all three.

Takahashi/Tran - I'm not sure if I see them winning any more world medals or not. They have great programs but they are so inconsistent. It could be a case like the Shibs, falling to 6th or 7th next year. But as I said about them being on the podium this year, I'm willing to be proven wrong. :)

Takahashi/Tran- They may not win anymore major medals until after the 2014 Sochi season but AFTER that point they are virtually certain to. Savchenko & Szolkowy will be gone, Kavaguti & Smirnov pair will be gone (Smirnov might compete with someone new), Pang & Tong will be gone, the Zhangs will be gone, heck some of those might be gone before then. In the event Volosozhar & Trankov win the OGM they might decide to go pro too. Even if V&T stay who would T&T have left to compete with the for silver and bronze. Duhamel & Radford? Sui & Han if she doesnt outgrow them and they havent split up/retired as a result already (more likely). The other young Chinese and other Canadians, the Americans? Barazova & Larionov and the other young Russians. They will definitely be on the podium again, even if only sometime after 2014. Yeah they could easily drop back to 6th or 7th next year but they have a long career ahead of them.

I think the field is closing the gap on Virtue & Moir and Davis & White, and Davis & White will be challenged hard for the silver medal by several teams at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics. Pechalat & Bourzat could be contenders for that, but they will find it hard to medal at all with teams like Weaver & Poje, 1 or more Russian teams, and possibly even the late blooming Italians threatening to pass them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am pretty darn sure P/B would've won bronze with their two performances anywhere, nose break or not. As a discipline that's less prone to mistakes than most, ice dance ranking is pretty easy to predict. P/B didn't make any mistakes nor were they visibly off. I'm not arguing the merit of their win, just that I don't think a change of venue or a lack of prior injury would've made the difference.

Very true. Protocal has them clearly ahead of Weaver & Poje at the moment. Location would have made no difference. W&P have to continue to work hard to convince the judges, but I think they are well on their way.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a fan of and enjoy all of the bronze medalists! :biggrin:

In terms of the future and what prospects they hold, I'm most excited for Hanyu! If he ends up dominating men's skating, I will be one very happy skating fan! He moves me and he has all the qualities necessary to be a champion. He's my hero!! :love:

Takahashi/Tran will also be great for the future if they can keep on this path and continue to gain consistency. What talent and potential there is with them! :love:

Suzuki, darling, I smiled with you all through that LP; you are a beauty! You deserved silver though, sweetie! However, I should be used to the judges lowballing you in the scoring by now. :frown:

Nathalie & Fabian, you finally did it! YES!!! CONGRATULATIONS! :love: Wishing Nathalie peace in her recovery from the broken nose.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was nice to see them all get a medal. The exuberance of Hanyu was particularly wonderful. The big issue is the bronze curse who will have the dramatic fall from grace - this year we saw Artur Gachinski fall almost as fast as Alissa Czisny. The Shibutani's came down to earth as well with a big spalt. T and T looks the most vulnerable for the splat. They may have peaked and got lucky at world's but we are still waiting for the puberty monster to attack.

Becki

Medalist
It was nice to see them all get a medal. The exuberance of Hanyu was particularly wonderful. The big issue is the bronze curse who will have the dramatic fall from grace - this year we saw Artur Gachinski fall almost as fast as Alissa Czisny. The Shibutani's came down to earth as well with a big spalt. T and T looks the most vulnerable for the splat. They may have peaked and got lucky at world's but we are still waiting for the puberty monster to attack.

Puberty monster? Narumi is 20....and Mervin, he's 21 turning 22.

The so called "bronze curse" was only applicable to Artur and Shibutani, as first time medalists in their debut. That's a sample size of two. Others have survived: Yuna (2007), Evan (2005). There are probably a tons more that I am not aware of.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Puberty?? Isn't she 20?

Yes. She has always been super tiny and hasn't grown for a few years now. I know she looks super young, but she isn't going to grow at this point. There are some fully grown women who happen to be 4'9" and 80 pounds. Few and far between and most of them are in pairs figure skating, but it isn't completely unheard of.

That being said, Narumi should work with a jump coach over the summer. If she can get her jumps more solid, they can be winning lots of medals, and maybe even a world championship down the line.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The so called "bronze curse" was only applicable to Artur and Shibutani, as first time medalists in their debut. That's a sample size of two. Others have survived: Yuna (2007), Evan (2005). There are probably a tons more that I am not aware of.
A bronze debut at Worlds did Yags (1997) and Plush (1998) no harm, and Brian Joubert was able to survive doing the same at Euros (which was his first medal internationally - at any level!).

Hanyu has been progressing steadily but rapidly; it's not like he came out of nowhere, he's been building up to this. Barring injury, I think he's going to be the real deal in the long term and may still prove my 2009 prediction wrong (back then, I thought he was great but too young to threaten in time for Sochi, so I picked him for 2018).

sorcerer

Final Flight
My most favorite bronze victory is T&T.
My most favorite performance was Yuzuru ... I've never been moved this deep, ever since I started watching figure skating. Must be one of the most memorable performances in history.
Yuzuru and T&T brought me into flood of tears.
It seems to me that Yuzuru injured his knee by that fluke fall. He's replaced by Takahiko for the WTT.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
My most favorite bronze victory is T&T.
My most favorite performance was Yuzuru ... I've never been moved this deep, ever since I started watching figure skating. Must be one of the most memorable performance in history.
Yuzuru and T&T brought me into flood of tears.
It seems Yuzuru injured his knee by that fluke fall. He's replaced by Takahiko fot the WTT.

Do you have a link to the source? I kind of suspected that Yuzuru injured himself after the fluke fall because he seemed to be skating a bit off balance (although his jumps were very strong!). Poor bb, hope he has a speedy recovery!! Rest up!!

But I admire him even more now!! Being able to skate like that after falling and hurting himself, it's just beyond amazing. This kid will probably save my love for figure skating haha

*Edit: I found the link: http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=1816

It says Yuzuru Hanyu is injured and will be replaced by Takahiko Kozuka, exactly what you said.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
That being said, Narumi should work with a jump coach over the summer. If she can get her jumps more solid, they can be winning lots of medals, and maybe even a world championship down the line.

I was surprised to see Narumi landed 3Sal in SP, and wondered how? and since when? :eek:, because 3Sal has been her enemy jump; she seemed never to land it for quite some time, you know.

Prior to this Worlds, Narumi actually visited the Sato Camp, I mean Nobuo & Kumiko in Japan, for personal lessons in order to improve her jumps (sources: Nikkei Shimbun evening ver., date Mar 31), and it did pay in the end.
And as you suggest, it sounds a good idea for Narumi (and Mervin, too if the circumstances allow it) to keep visiting the Camp regularly from time to time.

Last edited: