Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Kostner finally reaches the top

Carolina Kostner finally reaches the top

All I can say is well done Carolina!! Watching her back at the 2003 European Championships, I just had an inkling that she would one day become world champion. After 9 years, she has done it. In realising her huge potential and talent, she has shown great perseverance and fighting spirit. Only a few years ago, people were calling upon her to retire. Well, she has certainly put the doubters in their place. So proud of Carolina.

Custom Title
    She deserves it! I must say that I am looking forward to next year when we have Gracie and the young Russians competing as seniors. Carolina, Ashley, and Akiko are great but the division does need more depth.

Custom Title
    congratulations, but this worlds was on of the weakest field in years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    She deserves it! I must say that I am looking forward to next year when we have Gracie and the young Russians competing as seniors. Carolina, Ashley, and Akiko are great but the division does need more depth.
    Yes i agree the jump content of the Ladies this year was a joke. All other figure skating disciplines are pushing the envelop but the Ladies champ doesn't even try to do a triple lutz. Hopefully the new blood gives some fresh energy to the division. Right now all the top skaters at Worlds are holdovers from the last Olympics or in Caroline's case from 2006.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    congratulations, but this worlds was on of the weakest field in years.
    Cant really say that when last years ladies event was far and away worse. A 30% Kim very nearly won.

Custom Title
    I knew Caro would reach the top one day. She was just TOO good.
    Even when she was a young teen, her programs had been captivating.

Look at her SP in 2004, it was so free. She was flying across the ice. Look at the setup before the solo loop jump. Look at the circular step seq. So many qualities to admire. I don't see any of the Russian babies delivering this kind of SP yet. Sure, they have eye popping triple triple, but they just don't have the musicality and the effortlessness quality that Kostner had. Almost intrinsic qualities. When I saw it, I knew she would be a star and it was frustrating to see her falling up and down over the year. I thought she would retire in 2010. Thank goodness she believed in herself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3aTCvH9Zxo

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    The medal ceremony was the best I ve seen latelyCarolina was crying, reminded me of Lambiel at Olys. So great night.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Cant really say that when last years ladies event was far and away worse. A 30% Kim very nearly won.
    Both the last two years have been weak. But no need to diminish Kostner's achievement here. While it's no blow-out performance for the ages, she's earned it.

Custom Title
    Congratulations, Caroline! I love both her programs this season, the choreography, the costumes, all the details, and Caro's beautiful execution with power, speed, and a different kind of elegance for such fresh and quirky programs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Both the last two years have been weak. But no need to diminish Kostner's achievement here. While it's no blow-out performance for the ages, she's earned it.
    It was better than the winning performances in 2008, 2011, and maybe 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It was better than the winning performances in 2008, 2011, and maybe 2010.
    You think the winning performance in 2010 was inferior, despite two 3Axels (downgraded, but still) and a "clean" skate? I'd disagree and rate Mao's 2008 and 2010 Worlds performances higher, despite the mistakes. I think it's been a downward slide since the Olympic season.

Now performance-wise I do feel Kostner's program was better than Ando's last year, though technically inferior. Kostner's choreography, interpretation and skating skills makes this a decent program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    You think the winning performance in 2010 was inferior, despite two 3Axels (downgraded, but still) and a "clean" skate? I'd disagree and rate Mao's 2008 and 2010 Worlds performances higher, despite the mistakes. I think it's been a downward slide since the Olympic season.

Now performance-wise I do feel Kostner's program was better than Ando's last year, though technically inferior. Kostner's choreography, interpretation and skating skills makes this a decent program.
    pangtongfan seems to really dislike the Japanese skaters, especially Ando.

Congrats Caroline. Happy for you.

Banned
    Congrats Caro

after all the years of being inconsistent
    she did it, she has learned to be stable and take a route that will take her to the top

Custom Title
    great job Carolina!
    Wonder what Mozart would say about the bodysuit o_O

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast