Carolina Kostner finally reaches the top | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner finally reaches the top

Mao88

Record Breaker
All I can say is well done Carolina!! Watching her back at the 2003 European Championships, I just had an inkling that she would one day become world champion. After 9 years, she has done it. In realising her huge potential and talent, she has shown great perseverance and fighting spirit. Only a few years ago, people were calling upon her to retire. Well, she has certainly put the doubters in their place. So proud of Carolina.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She deserves it! I must say that I am looking forward to next year when we have Gracie and the young Russians competing as seniors. Carolina, Ashley, and Akiko are great but the division does need more depth.

volk

Final Flight
congratulations, but this worlds was on of the weakest field in years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She deserves it! I must say that I am looking forward to next year when we have Gracie and the young Russians competing as seniors. Carolina, Ashley, and Akiko are great but the division does need more depth.

Yes i agree the jump content of the Ladies this year was a joke. All other figure skating disciplines are pushing the envelop but the Ladies champ doesn't even try to do a triple lutz. Hopefully the new blood gives some fresh energy to the division. Right now all the top skaters at Worlds are holdovers from the last Olympics or in Caroline's case from 2006.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I knew Caro would reach the top one day. She was just TOO good.
Even when she was a young teen, her programs had been captivating.

Look at her SP in 2004, it was so free. She was flying across the ice. Look at the setup before the solo loop jump. Look at the circular step seq. So many qualities to admire. I don't see any of the Russian babies delivering this kind of SP yet. Sure, they have eye popping triple triple, but they just don't have the musicality and the effortlessness quality that Kostner had. Almost intrinsic qualities. When I saw it, I knew she would be a star and it was frustrating to see her falling up and down over the year. I thought she would retire in 2010. Thank goodness she believed in herself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3aTCvH9Zxo

seniorita

Record Breaker
The medal ceremony was the best I ve seen lately:hb:Carolina was crying, reminded me of Lambiel at Olys. So great night.

Krislite

Medalist
Cant really say that when last years ladies event was far and away worse. A 30% Kim very nearly won.

Both the last two years have been weak. But no need to diminish Kostner's achievement here. While it's no blow-out performance for the ages, she's earned it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations, Caroline! I love both her programs this season, the choreography, the costumes, all the details, and Caro's beautiful execution with power, speed, and a different kind of elegance for such fresh and quirky programs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Both the last two years have been weak. But no need to diminish Kostner's achievement here. While it's no blow-out performance for the ages, she's earned it.

It was better than the winning performances in 2008, 2011, and maybe 2010.

Krislite

Medalist
It was better than the winning performances in 2008, 2011, and maybe 2010.

You think the winning performance in 2010 was inferior, despite two 3Axels (downgraded, but still) and a "clean" skate? I'd disagree and rate Mao's 2008 and 2010 Worlds performances higher, despite the mistakes. I think it's been a downward slide since the Olympic season.

Now performance-wise I do feel Kostner's program was better than Ando's last year, though technically inferior. Kostner's choreography, interpretation and skating skills makes this a decent program.

Becki

Medalist
You think the winning performance in 2010 was inferior, despite two 3Axels (downgraded, but still) and a "clean" skate? I'd disagree and rate Mao's 2008 and 2010 Worlds performances higher, despite the mistakes. I think it's been a downward slide since the Olympic season.

Now performance-wise I do feel Kostner's program was better than Ando's last year, though technically inferior. Kostner's choreography, interpretation and skating skills makes this a decent program.

pangtongfan seems to really dislike the Japanese skaters, especially Ando.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congrats Caro

after all the years of being inconsistent
she did it, she has learned to be stable and take a route that will take her to the top

evangeline

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Carolina!

I admit, I've watched Caro for years, meltdown after meltdown, and I thought I'd never ever see the day in which she'd become World Champion. She is the poster girl for perseverance! Now, I hope Akiko wins the WC next year so we can continue the trend of old lady World Champions :laugh:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Congratulations to her. She has given many years of her life to the sport. I have never enjoyed watching her skate but I was relieved to see her beat Leonova.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Caro was majestic this year. Sad to see Mao struggle, our exquisite butterfly, but Carolina really brought the star power to ladies this year. She and Ashley had the best programs, costumes and performances. I will miss these programs. Thank goodness for Youtube!