Evan Lysacek's return? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's return?

gmyers

Record Breaker
All the medalists and below did quads in both SP's and LP's!! It's a new skating world!!

Actually it is kind of a return back before the extreme UR days of fear and ultra conservatism!! Lysacek did thrive when the sport became extremely ultraconservative because he is an extremely ultraconservative skater.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
All the medalists and below did quads in both SP's and LP's!! It's a new skating world!!

Actually it is kind of a return back before the extreme UR days of fear and ultra conservatism!! Lysacek did thrive when the sport became extremely ultraconservative because he is an extremely ultraconservative skater.

I love Men Figure Skating now, it's completely the reverse of the Ladies' - such a deep field. I love it !

sweetskates1

Medalist
He will come back and he will arrive with the quads by next season. He has trained it and nailed it in the past. He is in a better position to achieve results with quads than those that have never landed it... I am sure Evan will 'Plushenko' us into success in this upcoming season. Evan will inspire Nagasu again and inspire us all with solid wins! I know it!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Just wondering, does anyone know exactly when was the last time Evan actually landed a clean quad in competition? Also, if men's figure skating continues on its current trajectory, he'll not only need a quad in the LP, but also the SP as well. If I recall correctly, the last season Evan actually regularly attempted quads in the SP was in 2007-2008, and they were almost never clean....

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Just wondering, does anyone know exactly when was the last time Evan actually landed a clean quad in competition? Also, if men's figure skating continues on its current trajectory, he'll not only need a quad in the LP, but also the SP as well. If I recall correctly, the last season Evan actually regularly attempted quads in the SP was in 2007-2008, and they were almost never clean....

2007 GPF
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf0708/gpf0708_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

SkateFan66

On the Ice

Evan Lysacek last landed a clean quad in competition in his LP at 2009 FCC. Between the 2009 4CC & the 2009 World Championship, he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot & took the quad out of his LP for the WC.

enlight78

Medalist
I believe Evans best hope for an Olympic medal is the Team Event, the Standard for Gold is three quads and you need two just to medal, with on quad he might be top ten.

Redstone

Rinkside
Even if Evan will get a quad I doubt that it'll be ultra-stable and what else does he have offer now? The top boys this days usually have both quads and the superb quality of skating. I mean, Evan is a talented skater but he's not exactly young in skating years and doesn't have a Plushenko's legacy so it's won't be easy to skate against those all-around-package-guys

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Per Phil Hersh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...o-skate-competition-20120402,0,2869957.column

At Saturday's Figure Skating of Boston 100th anniversary celebration, Lysacek performed about two-thirds of the free skate he plans for next year, with music from Camille Saëns' "Samson and Delilah."

He intends to begin work on a short program with choreographer Lori Nichol in Florida the last week of April and begin consistent training after doing a show with Olympic champion Kim Yu-na May 4-6 in Seoul.

Lysacek said Frank Carroll will remain his primary coach although he also will work with Kwan's older sister, Karen, who helped revive Caroline Zhang's career this season.

"I called Frank before he went to worlds (which took place last week) to make sure he was still on board," Lysacek said. "I could never do this without him."

If the issues with U.S. Figure Skating are resolved, Lysacek said his first competition could be the Nebelhorn Trophy Sept. 27-29 in Oberstdorf, Germany. It is the most prestigious annual international invitational event other than the Grand Prix series.

He also changed agents to a more figure skating savvy one, Michelle Kwan's long-time agent Shep Goldberg.

ETA: On the whole money issue:
USFS officials told me last fall the problems involved financial issues. Lysacek told me last month that was true only in the broadest sense and that "it was never an issue of dollars and cents."

Sources with knowledge of the negotiations told me the main sticking point involved individual sponsorship contracts Lysacek currently has and could get in the future. The federation seemingly wanted to keep him from getting deals in any product categories where it already had sponsors, even though such restrictions would run counter to U.S. Olympic Committee rules for active Olympians.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Yeah Evan's triple axel is so weird....scares me. I do wonder how they will treat him because Chan and Dai are the standard in quality and movement across the ice. Plus so many are doing quads in the short and long.

Becki

Medalist
Yeah Evan's triple axel is so weird....scares me. I do wonder how they will treat him because Chan and Dai are the standard in quality and movement across the ice. Plus so many are doing quads in the short and long.

So with an unstable 3A, and quad in training...damn, I don't think Evan will want to come back. Little Hanyu will bite his head into pieces with 2 Quads, including a quad-triple :O. I think Evan will not return to end on a high note as Olympic Champion.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I hope Plushenko recovers from his injuries because we need someone like him to come, skate clean with a quad, and win without any sort of controversy. The judges aren't going to screw him on PCS and he can actually perform 2 clean programs. I know Chan is great but I just find it unacceptable for him to win so many events with glaring errors. I generally agree with his placements but my frustration is more of lack of depth that these guys can't come out and skate two good programs and take advantage of the opportunities Chan opens with his falls. Plushenko can. As far as Evan, I think it would be tough merely because a lot of things have to go right for him to win without a quad.

Are you dreaming?!:biggrin: Plushenko won without controversy?! Look at his two perfect programs in 2006 Olympics! He's had a huge controversy about how he has won. People love to create controversies no matter what. So there will always be controversies. Plushenko was the most hated skater among skating fans in the post Yagudin era because he won every competition he entered except two - the 2003 Euro to Brian Joubert and 2003 GPF to Emanuel Sandhu.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
Are you dreaming?!:biggrin: Plushenko won without controversy?! Look at his two perfect programs in 2006 Olympics! He's had a huge controversy about how he has won. People love to create controversies no matter what. So there will always be controversies. Plushenko was the most hated skater among skating fans in the post Yagudin era because he won every competition he entered except one. The only time he lost was to Sandu because he miscalculated his jumps and did an extra combo jump at GPF.

That sounds so much like Chan right now....

gmyers

Record Breaker
Per Phil Hersh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...o-skate-competition-20120402,0,2869957.column

He also changed agents to a more figure skating savvy one, Michelle Kwan's long-time agent Shep Goldberg.

ETA: On the whole money issue:

He wants to do Nebelhorn because I bet he can win there without quads and his weird triple axels. If he competed at Nebelhorn it would "too early for quads" or if he failed on quads it would be like "too early for great quads" Mirai Nagasu won Nebelhorn and it didn't mean much of antything. I bet Lysacek can win there and start the season a winner without doing quads. Most countries don't send anywhere near there best there!

Becki

Medalist
He wants to do Nebelhorn because I bet he can win there without quads and his weird triple axels. If he competed at Nebelhorn it would "too early for quads" or if he failed on quads it would be like "too early for great quads" Mirai Nagasu won Nebelhorn and it didn't mean much of antything. I bet Lysacek can win there and start the season a winner without doing quads. Most countries don't send anywhere near there best there!

Since the top 3 in World's won't meet in the Grand Prix series until the Final (if they make it), it would be interesting to see one Evan challenge one of the top 3. Personally, I would like to see Evan challenge Yuzuru since the two have never been in a competition together. It will definitely feed into Yuzuru's ego if he beats the reigning Olympic Champion, great boost of confidence to start off the season! hehe

FTnoona

Final Flight

The skidding is indeed very scaring makes you think he might eat it any time >.<
I wonder if Evan were to compete again, would he get any PCS bonus for being the current olympic gold medalist and would that be enough to over take Chan and Dai in the PCS? Even without a quad in the SP, Abbott highest score was around 83, so Evan will probably be able to do it too. That would at least keep him in the running for a medal.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
He probably wouldnt even win Nationals if he came back, especialy without a quad. He hasnt beaten Abbott at Nationals since 2008 and Jeremy seems to peak at Nationals, and despite his constant failures seems to be still a favorite of the USFSA (and based on recent rumors more than Evan currently is).

Why would Evan need to win the US Nationals and try to beat Abbott? I would feel extremely disappointed if beating Abbott at Nationals would be one of Evan´s major goals, LOL. Besides, there are two slots for 2013 Worlds, I believe. And considering Abbott´s success or lack of it at major international competitions like Worlds or Olympics, Abbott is not a competitor for him at Worlds, although I hope that Abbott would learn to conquer his nerves at major events.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

In my opinion to start with Nebelhorn Trophy is a very good strategy for a skater, who has been away from competitions for two seasons. LOL, I just hope he would also consider Finlandia Trophy, as he will be so close in Europe..., and especially now as the competition will be in an areena better located than for some years:

http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/ October 5 to 7, 2012

Last edited: