Evan Lysacek's return? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek's return?

PatC

Rinkside
Nono, but this is my speculation.

Daisuke either does SC or SA. He did SC this year, and with Patrick as the poster child for SC, Daisuke will probably go to SA. I think NHK will be his second pick 'cause they love Dai. For Hanyu, I have a feeling CoC or CoR again, as the Chinese fans love him too!!

I don't know, in 2010 he did SA, last year SC, maybe this year Cup of China? :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Now that both Chan and Takahashi are Worlds medalists, they will not meet until the GPF. (Ditto Hanyu.) Last season was an exception that they had so many head to head competitions because Daisuke fell off the 2011 Worlds podium. Kozuka, however, will meet up with one or more medalists the coming season.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Evan has far more consistency and flair than almost all the top US men. Unless some of them dramatically improve (which I certainly hope they do), the only real competition nationally for Evan is going to be Jeremy (and possibly Weir depending on his condition) if Evan returns in the same shape that he left in.

Internationally, sure there are lots of sharks. And rotating at least 2 quads in the entire competition is probably a necessity for getting on the podium at Worlds. We'll have to see if Evan can manage that.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Evan has far more consistency and flair than almost all the top US men. Unless some of them dramatically improve (which I certainly hope they do), the only real competition nationally for Evan is going to be Jeremy (and possibly Weir depending on his condition) if Evan returns in the same shape that he left in.

Internationally, sure there are lots of sharks. And rotating at least 2 quads in the entire competition is probably a necessity for getting on the podium at Worlds. We'll have to see if Evan can manage that.

Weir has long been left in the dust by Evan after 2008. I don't think he'll ever catch up again.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I can't see Evan factoring in any of the major international podiums barring disaster. His only truly attainable goal in returning would be improving on his personal goals (like maybe landing the quads) and winning another national title (which may not be as easy as it at first appears considering Jeremey's tendency to skate well at nationals).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
While I think the odds are better than 50% neither come back, if both come back I predict for Evan a 2nd place at Nationals and a 6th place at Worlds. For Johnny a 7th place at Nationals. A few points I see:

1. Johnny has been far behind Evan for years. That will never change on the competitive scene, especialy with Johnny burning all bridges to the USFSA and everyone else with his tell all book upon retirement. However much Evan might struggle in his hypothetical comeback, Johnny will only fare much worse.

2. Even WITH the quad Evan would not be top 3 in the LP if the skating was of the caliber of this years Worlds. Takahashi skated cleanly with the quad, has much better PCS than Evan (or should), has much better axels, and still came only 3rd in the LP. Hanyu would blow him away on GOE, especialy in jumps, it is how he beat Takahashi and nearly beat Chan with lower PCS and a bigger mistake in the LP at Worlds. I wont even get started on Chan who would easily outscore Evan in everything apart from any mistakes he makes. Keep in mind Evan will not benefit from the same inflated PCS he did in 2009-2010 with the reigning World Champion tag attached to him, and with the ISU anti Plushenko campaign the growing support for him as the only one at the time reliable to skate well and beat Plushenko if given the scores.

3. If Abbott skates like he did at Nationals in 2010 and 2012, Evan will not win Nationals. Unless the USFSA support for Abbott suddenly dries up, but the USFSA has supported him since 2009 despite his constant failures at Worlds. Plus Jeremy when he skates well is just a better skater, a shame he never had Evan's mental toughness to capatilize and win the really weak 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am going to be optimistic about Evan's return. A lot of good things could happen for team
USA if Evan skates well, like getting 3 spots back for the men which is very important to the
US federation leading into Socci. Our current crop can't get it done, Johnny an Evan did.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Weir has long been left in the dust by Evan after 2008. I don't think he'll ever catch up again.

You're right! I forgot how much Weir dropped off in his last few seasons competing, with judges not giving him the benefit of the doubt even when he skates well, which is only liable to be worse now that Weir has upset the applecart.

So there's a fine chance that if Evan returns in the shape he left in, even with all the changes in the COP, he can make the podium at US nationals.

I can't see Evan factoring in any of the major international podiums barring disaster. His only truly attainable goal in returning would be improving on his personal goals (like maybe landing the quads) and winning another national title (which may not be as easy as it at first appears considering Jeremey's tendency to skate well at nationals).

One major caveat though: it remains to be seen how the ISU will change the rules and/or reeducate the judges before the next season. Given how contentious Patrick Chan's scores have been, culminating in the massive booing at Worlds that all the ISU top brass heard in person, I think it's almost certain that we're in for a reconfiguration of some parts of the IJS. I don't know what form the changes will take, but done a certain way it could benefit Evan. For instance, if judges were told to severely ding someone's PCS if they make a major mistake during a skate. That would allow the very consistent Evan to have a leg up on his more technically ambitious but also more error-prone international cohorts.

tampro1

Rinkside
I'd be willing to bet Evan shows up with another very smart program from Lori Nichol which will undoubtedly take advantage of COP. Evan will be the male version of Carolina and score well with much less difficult jump content, but high levels in the other areas. It will be very interesting indeed. Even Plushenko is switching to Carmelengo to finally get smarter COP programs. It's going to be an exciting season!

I can't imagine that Weir even at his best would be in contention for a medal, either nationally or internationally, except maybe at one of the GP events. He never had a quad. His skating is meticulous but neither powerful nor technically loaded. When he earned only sixth place at the Olympics with a clean skate, it showed what international judges think of his skills. And Johnny hasn't spent the last three years honing his abilities and trying to up his content. If even Takahashi and Hanyu can't beat Patrick Chan, how could Weir hope to beat any of the three?

One major caveat though: it remains to be seen how the ISU will change the rules and/or reeducate the judges before the next season. Given how contentious Patrick Chan's scores have been, culminating in the massive booing at Worlds that all the ISU top brass heard in person, I think it's almost certain that we're in for a reconfiguration of some parts of the IJS. I don't know what form the changes will take, but done a certain way it could benefit Evan. For instance, if judges were told to severely ding someone's PCS if they make a major mistake during a skate.

Or maybe they will decide that the CoP is fine but the audience needs more educating.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I can't imagine that Weir even at his best would be in contention for a medal, either nationally or internationally, except maybe at one of the GP events. He never had a quad. His skating is meticulous but neither powerful nor technically loaded. When he earned only sixth place at the Olympics with a clean skate, it showed what international judges think of his skills. And Johnny hasn't spent the last three years honing his abilities and trying to up his content. If even Takahashi and Hanyu can't beat Patrick Chan, how could Weir hope to beat any of the three?

I think we've seen Weir's artistical and technical boundaries. And I think Weir knows where he could realistically stand among those top skaters nationally and internationally, and he is content with it and will enjoy the "participation".

enlight78

Medalist
I think we've seen Weir's artistical and technical boundaries. And I think Weir knows where he could realistically stand among those top skaters nationally and internationally, and he is content with it and will enjoy the "participation".

I think Weir can do much more artistally, I just think after his swan program he got a big chip on his shoulder and felt his programs where the best cup of tea, he should let some one reinvent him-

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Participation in what? What is actually open for him after two years?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Participation in what? What is actually open for him after two years?

It's obvious that the media loves him no matter what even after two years away from competitive skating. Paticipation in the notable circle of figure skaters and having a say in media might be all Weir wants for this time round.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I honestly don't know why they are coming back. Chan, the Japanese men, and possibly some others will destroy either of them at Worlds, if they even make it to Worlds. Nationals will be a bloodbath and there are only 2 spots and lots of men competing for them - Abbott, Miner, Dornbush, Farris, Aaron, Mahbanoozadeh, Razzano (judging from his huge FS scores at Nats, they'd be willing to send him), Rippon, and if he has his 3a by then, Brown. Add Evan and Johnny to the mix and that's more than 10 guys in contention for 2 spots. Odds are not good with their having taken 2 seasons off and not having solid quads in their prime. Heck, they were even having problems with the 3a in the Olympic season, Johnny's was MIA all fall and Evan's continues to be a bit skary. Johnny's PCS weren't great in 09-10 and Evan's will surely be less now than what he was getting then. I mean, they can come back if they want, but it would look pretty embarassing if some no-name youngster like Aaron or Farris beat them at Nationals, which is entirely possible. Idk. Evan has already won Worlds and the Olympics, why would he come back now when he knows there is no chance for him to repeat that success?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I honestly don't know why they are coming back. Chan, the Japanese men, and possibly some others will destroy either of them at Worlds, if they even make it to Worlds. Nationals will be a bloodbath and there are only 2 spots and lots of men competing for them - Abbott, Miner, Dornbush, Farris, Aaron, Mahbanoozadeh, Razzano (judging from his huge FS scores at Nats, they'd be willing to send him), Rippon, and if he has his 3a by then, Brown. Add Evan and Johnny to the mix and that's more than 10 guys in contention for 2 spots. Odds are not good with their having taken 2 seasons off and not having solid quads in their prime. Heck, they were even having problems with the 3a in the Olympic season, Johnny's was MIA all fall and Evan's continues to be a bit skary. Johnny's PCS weren't great in 09-10 and Evan's will surely be less now than what he was getting then. I mean, they can come back if they want, but it would look pretty embarassing if some no-name youngster like Aaron or Farris beat them at Nationals, which is entirely possible. Idk. Evan has already won Worlds and the Olympics, why would he come back now when he knows there is no chance for him to repeat that success?

Exactly. A return from either one is baffling. The best Evan can hope for is a top 5 at Worlds and the best Johnny can hope for is a top 5 at Nationals. They will be hard pressed to even reach that. That is their motivation to return. I dont get it. That is why I am thinking it is a PR stunt by both to keep their name in the news.