Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek's return?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    Did Patrick fall more than once in his LP?
    During his career he has fallen more than once. Any time he has a fall OR falls it opens the door.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    During his career he has fallen more than once. Any time he has a fall OR falls it opens the door.
    These statements apply to every competing skater. Chan certainly left the door open this Worlds, even without a fall in the SP. Competition is about relative and not absolute merits. The standard varies from one event to another.

As for Evan, his biggest winning attribute is his consistency. However, unless he has upped his arsenals significantly since the Olympics, he will be hard pressed to contend for a medal at Worlds or the Olympics. It's his choice to rest on his glory or to come back to compete for love of competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    These statements apply to every competing skater. Chan certainly left the door open this Worlds, even without a fall in the SP. Competition is about relative and not absolute merits. The standard varies from one event to another.
    Thank you. I didn't realize Patrick wasn't the only skater who has fallen in competition. And I thought the standard was consistent across events, so thanks for pointing that out as well.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This thread magically just got a lot shorter. We are here to talk about skating, not each other, right?
    Yes but my post looked bizaro that way. I edited myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    On the second point, it was based on his personal best in the SP, LP and total score (257). This would've landed him a Bronze in this year's World's IF he achieved the score. This is a bold assumption made on past results.
    Well, yeah, but everyone's score was inflated at the Olympics. Just saying. Heh. (And the rules have probably been tweaked since then.)

Didn't he have a weak triple axel as well? I remember someone saying that if Plushenko had pointed that out instead of Evan's lack of quads, he might've won at the Olympics. All it takes is for someone to point that out and repeatedly pound that tidbit into the judges' brains and he'd need to rework that as well ...

Then again, if we didn't have Plushy to point out the lack of quads, we wouldn't have as many attempts ...
    Last edited by aftertherain; 04-01-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Custom Title
    All the medalists and below did quads in both SP's and LP's!! It's a new skating world!!

Actually it is kind of a return back before the extreme UR days of fear and ultra conservatism!! Lysacek did thrive when the sport became extremely ultraconservative because he is an extremely ultraconservative skater.
    Last edited by gmyers; 04-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    All the medalists and below did quads in both SP's and LP's!! It's a new skating world!!

Actually it is kind of a return back before the extreme UR days of fear and ultra conservatism!! Lysacek did thrive when the sport became extremely ultraconservative because he is an extremely ultraconservative skater.
    I love Men Figure Skating now, it's completely the reverse of the Ladies' - such a deep field. I love it !

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I love Men Figure Skating now, it's completely the reverse of the Ladies' - such a deep field. I love it !

Custom Title
    He will come back and he will arrive with the quads by next season. He has trained it and nailed it in the past. He is in a better position to achieve results with quads than those that have never landed it... I am sure Evan will 'Plushenko' us into success in this upcoming season. Evan will inspire Nagasu again and inspire us all with solid wins! I know it!

Custom Title
    Just wondering, does anyone know exactly when was the last time Evan actually landed a clean quad in competition? Also, if men's figure skating continues on its current trajectory, he'll not only need a quad in the LP, but also the SP as well. If I recall correctly, the last season Evan actually regularly attempted quads in the SP was in 2007-2008, and they were almost never clean....

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Just wondering, does anyone know exactly when was the last time Evan actually landed a clean quad in competition? Also, if men's figure skating continues on its current trajectory, he'll not only need a quad in the LP, but also the SP as well. If I recall correctly, the last season Evan actually regularly attempted quads in the SP was in 2007-2008, and they were almost never clean....
    2007 GPF
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Evan Lysacek last landed a clean quad in competition in his LP at 2009 FCC. Between the 2009 4CC & the 2009 World Championship, he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot & took the quad out of his LP for the WC.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I believe Evans best hope for an Olympic medal is the Team Event, the Standard for Gold is three quads and you need two just to medal, with on quad he might be top ten.

Tripping on the Podium
    Even if Evan will get a quad I doubt that it'll be ultra-stable and what else does he have offer now? The top boys this days usually have both quads and the superb quality of skating. I mean, Evan is a talented skater but he's not exactly young in skating years and doesn't have a Plushenko's legacy so it's won't be easy to skate against those all-around-package-guys

skating philosopher
    Per Phil Hersh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2869957.column

At Saturday's Figure Skating of Boston 100th anniversary celebration, Lysacek performed about two-thirds of the free skate he plans for next year, with music from Camille Saëns' "Samson and Delilah."

He intends to begin work on a short program with choreographer Lori Nichol in Florida the last week of April and begin consistent training after doing a show with Olympic champion Kim Yu-na May 4-6 in Seoul.

Lysacek said Frank Carroll will remain his primary coach although he also will work with Kwan's older sister, Karen, who helped revive Caroline Zhang's career this season.

"I called Frank before he went to worlds (which took place last week) to make sure he was still on board," Lysacek said. "I could never do this without him."

If the issues with U.S. Figure Skating are resolved, Lysacek said his first competition could be the Nebelhorn Trophy Sept. 27-29 in Oberstdorf, Germany. It is the most prestigious annual international invitational event other than the Grand Prix series.
    He also changed agents to a more figure skating savvy one, Michelle Kwan's long-time agent Shep Goldberg.

ETA: On the whole money issue:
    USFS officials told me last fall the problems involved financial issues. Lysacek told me last month that was true only in the broadest sense and that "it was never an issue of dollars and cents."

Sources with knowledge of the negotiations told me the main sticking point involved individual sponsorship contracts Lysacek currently has and could get in the future. The federation seemingly wanted to keep him from getting deals in any product categories where it already had sponsors, even though such restrictions would run counter to U.S. Olympic Committee rules for active Olympians.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 04-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast