Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Evan Lysacek's return?

Custom Title
    Yeah Evan's triple axel is so weird....scares me. I do wonder how they will treat him because Chan and Dai are the standard in quality and movement across the ice. Plus so many are doing quads in the short and long.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Yeah Evan's triple axel is so weird....scares me. I do wonder how they will treat him because Chan and Dai are the standard in quality and movement across the ice. Plus so many are doing quads in the short and long.
    So with an unstable 3A, and quad in training...damn, I don't think Evan will want to come back. Little Hanyu will bite his head into pieces with 2 Quads, including a quad-triple :O. I think Evan will not return to end on a high note as Olympic Champion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I hope Plushenko recovers from his injuries because we need someone like him to come, skate clean with a quad, and win without any sort of controversy. The judges aren't going to screw him on PCS and he can actually perform 2 clean programs. I know Chan is great but I just find it unacceptable for him to win so many events with glaring errors. I generally agree with his placements but my frustration is more of lack of depth that these guys can't come out and skate two good programs and take advantage of the opportunities Chan opens with his falls. Plushenko can. As far as Evan, I think it would be tough merely because a lot of things have to go right for him to win without a quad.
    Are you dreaming?! Plushenko won without controversy?! Look at his two perfect programs in 2006 Olympics! He's had a huge controversy about how he has won. People love to create controversies no matter what. So there will always be controversies. Plushenko was the most hated skater among skating fans in the post Yagudin era because he won every competition he entered except two - the 2003 Euro to Brian Joubert and 2003 GPF to Emanuel Sandhu.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-02-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Are you dreaming?! Plushenko won without controversy?! Look at his two perfect programs in 2006 Olympics! He's had a huge controversy about how he has won. People love to create controversies no matter what. So there will always be controversies. Plushenko was the most hated skater among skating fans in the post Yagudin era because he won every competition he entered except one. The only time he lost was to Sandu because he miscalculated his jumps and did an extra combo jump at GPF.
    That sounds so much like Chan right now....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    That sounds so much like Chan right now....
    Correct! So I'm not surprised if Patrick Chan has become the most hated skater until after Olympics.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Per Phil Hersh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2869957.column

He also changed agents to a more figure skating savvy one, Michelle Kwan's long-time agent Shep Goldberg.

ETA: On the whole money issue:
    He wants to do Nebelhorn because I bet he can win there without quads and his weird triple axels. If he competed at Nebelhorn it would "too early for quads" or if he failed on quads it would be like "too early for great quads" Mirai Nagasu won Nebelhorn and it didn't mean much of antything. I bet Lysacek can win there and start the season a winner without doing quads. Most countries don't send anywhere near there best there!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    He wants to do Nebelhorn because I bet he can win there without quads and his weird triple axels. If he competed at Nebelhorn it would "too early for quads" or if he failed on quads it would be like "too early for great quads" Mirai Nagasu won Nebelhorn and it didn't mean much of antything. I bet Lysacek can win there and start the season a winner without doing quads. Most countries don't send anywhere near there best there!
    Since the top 3 in World's won't meet in the Grand Prix series until the Final (if they make it), it would be interesting to see one Evan challenge one of the top 3. Personally, I would like to see Evan challenge Yuzuru since the two have never been in a competition together. It will definitely feed into Yuzuru's ego if he beats the reigning Olympic Champion, great boost of confidence to start off the season! hehe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    The skidding is indeed very scaring makes you think he might eat it any time >.<
    I wonder if Evan were to compete again, would he get any PCS bonus for being the current olympic gold medalist and would that be enough to over take Chan and Dai in the PCS? Even without a quad in the SP, Abbott highest score was around 83, so Evan will probably be able to do it too. That would at least keep him in the running for a medal.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 04-03-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    He probably wouldnt even win Nationals if he came back, especialy without a quad. He hasnt beaten Abbott at Nationals since 2008 and Jeremy seems to peak at Nationals, and despite his constant failures seems to be still a favorite of the USFSA (and based on recent rumors more than Evan currently is).
    Why would Evan need to win the US Nationals and try to beat Abbott? I would feel extremely disappointed if beating Abbott at Nationals would be one of Evan´s major goals, LOL. Besides, there are two slots for 2013 Worlds, I believe. And considering Abbott´s success or lack of it at major international competitions like Worlds or Olympics, Abbott is not a competitor for him at Worlds, although I hope that Abbott would learn to conquer his nerves at major events.
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-03-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    In my opinion to start with Nebelhorn Trophy is a very good strategy for a skater, who has been away from competitions for two seasons. LOL, I just hope he would also consider Finlandia Trophy, as he will be so close in Europe..., and especially now as the competition will be in an areena better located than for some years:

http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/ October 5 to 7, 2012
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-03-2012 at 02:56 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Are you dreaming?! Plushenko won without controversy?! Look at his two perfect programs in 2006 Olympics! He's had a huge controversy about how he has won. People love to create controversies no matter what. So there will always be controversies. Plushenko was the most hated skater among skating fans in the post Yagudin era because he won every competition he entered except two - the 2003 Euro to Brian Joubert and 2003 GPF to Emanuel Sandhu.
    In 2006 the critism was the huge marks for his lifeless Lp and his overall win over 30 points, I dont remember a controversy for the short or long placement or if he should have won over Lambiel or whoever.
    Plushenko in the unknowledgable /uneducated skating fans in the arena was/is far from the most hated skater, that would be my idea because I m a fan but I m quite confident that it is clear if you pick any youtube video from 1998 till now... Are you sure you are not tranferring the internet boards essence? Takahashi has a more likable public persona -that we skating fans like to discuss- than Plushenko or Chan, I can understand that.
    I also dont think Chan is the most hated skater internet or not, I dont know if any hate him but it is usual the top skater to gather all the critisism, did Lysacek had less critisism in 2009-2010? I dont think so. Do you remember the Yuna /Mao threads? Skaters who are dominating are going to be analysed to the very end. Hate is a strong word and i dont think it applies to anyone.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Why would Evan need to win the US Nationals and try to beat Abbott? I would feel extremely disappointed if beating Abbott at Nationals would be one of Evan´s major goals, LOL. Besides, there are two slots for 2013 Worlds, I believe. And considering Abbott´s success or lack of it at major international competitions like Worlds or Olympics, Abbott is not a competitor for him at Worlds, although I hope that Abbott would learn to conquer his nerves at major events.
    Well with only 2 spots to Worlds as opposed to 3 of course you aim more to win Nationals. Just trying for 2nd place is too close for comfort. However since Even has ZERO chance to win a World or Olympic event ever again unless Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu, and a couple others all break their legs, winning another U.S title would be the pinnacle of what he can hope for and thus would make sense to set as a goal should he return.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushenko in the unknowledgable /uneducated skating fans in the arena was/is far from the most hated skater, that would be my idea because I m a fan but I m quite confident that it is clear if you pick any youtube video from 1998 till now... .
    Hey, why "unknowledgeable /uneducated"?
    Plush live is something else and I don't feel neither uneducated nor unknowledgeable because I appreciate him. Maybe just obsolete
    I know that I should rave about transitions, edges, artistry, jumps-are-not-important etc. instead of being impressed by such a trivial thing like charisma

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    In 2006 the critism was the huge marks for his lifeless Lp and his overall win over 30 points, I dont remember a controversy for the short or long placement or if he should have won over Lambiel or whoever.
    Plushenko in the unknowledgable /uneducated skating fans in the arena was/is far from the most hated skater, that would be my idea because I m a fan but I m quite confident that it is clear if you pick any youtube video from 1998 till now... Are you sure you are not tranferring the internet boards essence? Takahashi has a more likable public persona -that we skating fans like to discuss- than Plushenko or Chan, I can understand that.
    I also dont think Chan is the most hated skater internet or not, I dont know if any hate him but it is usual the top skater to gather all the critisism, did Lysacek had less critisism in 2009-2010? I dont think so. Do you remember the Yuna /Mao threads? Skaters who are dominating are going to be analysed to the very end. Hate is a strong word and i dont think it applies to anyone.
    There is no need to debate about Plushenko in Lysacek thread, but I'd just like to say this: Seniorita, I didn't say "why he has won". I said "How he has won". No doubt no one questioned that Plushenko won but the way he won it was pissed and bashed to death. That was what I meant. Look at the ways some Takahashi fans', not all of them, I said some, talk and call names, you'd know what I've said was right. Although I agree that the hostility towards Chan hasn't gone to Plushenko or Yu Na Kim's level yet. But it's only 2012. We'll see.

Back on Lysacek:

I think Lysacek is still competitive among US skaters. And he is probably the safest bet for US internationally even though he doesn't have a quad. He could easily pull a 4CC Miner anytime in any international competitions, whether or not the bronze position for this Olympic champion is satisfying is another question. Of course, he has actually more potential than a bronze medal in GP circle - assume that he will be as reliable as he was if he comes back.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-03-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Although I agree that the hostility towards Chan hasn't gone to Plushenko or Yu Na Kim's level yet. But it's only 2012. We'll see.
    Are you sure Bluebonnet?

Back on Lysacek:
    I think Lysacek is still competitive among US skaters. And he is probably the safest bet for US internationally even though he doesn't have a quad. He could easily pull a 4CC Miner anytime in any international competitions, whether or not the bronze position for this Olympic champion is satisfying is another question. Of course, he has actually more potential than a bronze medal in GP circle - assume that he will be as reliable as he was if he comes back.
    Indeed, Evan's strength seems to be his consistency. But I still think he needs a Q to podium in competitions like World. Perhaps.. he may get away in GP competitions. BTW, is he really returning to competition? He will have to start competing now to get into shape by early 2014 or you think he can do a Yuna ..... no competition at all but still come skate to a silver in Worlds? I do like the idea of previous Olympians coming back to compete.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast