Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 116

Thread: 2012 ISU World Team Trophy Predictions

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,352
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

    The most interesting about the teams will be whom they pick to send.

    I don't know whether Meryl & Charlie will be skating the team championship. Charlie said in an interview, that it was sad to skate Der Fledermaus for the last time; did he forget, or are they not going?
    I think it depends on what they and the USFSA figure their chances of winning Ice Dance are. Either D/W and S/S should be eligible to go. D/W should be sent to compete for 1st place in Dance but if that is conceded, then there is no difference which team goes if D/W wishes to rest.

  2. #17
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,960
    I think it is very unlikely that the ISU will exercise its "right" to exclude an entire team mentioned in the last paragraph of Golden's post above. I think they are just mildly leaning on the federations to lean on the currently hot skaters in order to to make a better television show.

    About age restrictions, I believe that the Russian federation made inquiries learlier to allow Elizavete Tuktamysysheva to compete. I don't know what the ISU ruling was, but i think the Russian federation dropped the matter in any case.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,352
    ^^^^ It's equally unlikely that D/W and the USFSA want to appear to concede.

  4. #19
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,960
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I think it depends on what they and the USFSA figure their chances of winning Ice Dance are. Either D/W and S/S should be eligible to go. D/W should be sent to compete for 1st place in Dance but if that is conceded, then there is no difference which team goes if D/W wishes to rest.
    Even if Davis and White go and get second, that is still 11 placement points. There is no guarantee that Shibutani and Shibutani or Hubbel and Donahue can beat Pechalat & Bourzat, Ilinykh & Katsalapov (or Bobrova & Soloviev), or Cappellini & Lanotte.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,352
    I was assuming S/S would take 2nd place, not thinking France and other non contending nations may beat them to take some points away. The US certainly can't afford to give those points to the Russians. I guess I forgot how low S/S placed most recently.

  6. #21
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think it is very unlikely that the ISU will exercise its "right" to exclude an entire team mentioned in the last paragraph of Golden's post above. I think they are just mildly leaning on the federations to lean on the currently hot skaters in order to to make a better television show.

    About age restrictions, I believe that the Russian federation made inquiries learlier to allow Elizavete Tuktamysysheva to compete. I don't know what the ISU ruling was, but i think the Russian federation dropped the matter in any case.
    Good explanation re ISU's bark being worse than its bite, Mathman -- thanks!

    If/if re Tuktamysheva:
    If her birth date is Dec 17, 1996 (as per ISU bio page), then by my arithmetic, she would have been 14 yrs old before July 1, 2011. If that is the WTT age requirement (as I believe), then she meets it. So maybe there is still hope that we will see her in Tokyo??

  7. #22
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    30
    Mishin's students don't plan to go to WTT. Neither Liza nor Gachinski or Plush.

  8. #23
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlepa View Post
    Mishin's students don't plan to go to WTT. Neither Liza nor Gachinski or Plush.
    I didn't even think about Plushenko! That would have been so cool. But I suppose he is not ready to compete, even if Mr. Mishin would have encouraged/allowed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    If/if re Tuktamysheva:
    If her birth date is Dec 17, 1996 (as per ISU bio page), then by my arithmetic, she would have been 14 yrs old before July 1, 2011. If that is the WTT age requirement (as I believe), then she meets it. So maybe there is still hope that we will see her in Tokyo??
    Unfortunately Slepa's information settles the matter.

    But about age, yes, I think you are right. The age is 14 for ISU International Competitions" (for instance the Grand Prix), and 15 for "ISU Championships" (Worlds, Euros and Four Continents). So is this a ISU Championship?

    But the Team Trophy Annoucement makes it clear by referring to the ISU Constitution, rule 108, paragraph 2b (ISU Competitions) rather than 2a (Cahmpionships). So I guess the Russian Fed could have sent Elizaveta if they had wanted to.

    Anyway, the national federations must submit their slate by Thursday, so we should know soon enough!

  9. #24
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,960
    Not a prediction, but if each federation sent exactly the same skaters to the team trophy as they did to worlds, and if each skater pleced exactly the same way as at worlds, here is how it would turn out.


    JAPAN

    Takahashi 11
    Hnayu 10
    Suzuki 10
    Asada 8
    Takahashi/Tran 11
    Reed/Reed 7

    Total 57

    Japanese ladies can probably do better, maybe land two on the podium.


    CANADA

    Chan 12
    Reynolds 5
    LaCoste 4
    Canada #2 1
    Duhamel/Radford 10
    Virtue/Moir 12

    Total 54

    Canada can move up a point or two if Phaneuf comes as Canada #2 and beats someone.


    USA

    Abbott 7
    Rippon 4
    Wagner 9
    Czisny 3
    Denney/Coughlin 9
    Davis/White 11

    Total 43

    Best chance to move up is for their men to do better, send Caroline Zhang as second lady.


    RUSSIA

    Voronov 3
    Gachinski 2
    Leonova 11
    Makarova 6
    Volosozhar/Trankov 9
    Ilinykh/Katsalapov 9

    Total 43

    Gachinski can do much better (but the report on this thread says he will not be going), but the ladies might not do as well as at Worlds.


    ITALY

    Contesti 6
    Italy #2 1
    Kostner 12
    Marchei 7
    Berton/Hotarek 8
    Alessandrini/Vaturi 8

    Total 42

    Go Italy! Do they have another man?


    FRANCE

    Joubert 9
    Amodio 8
    Silete 5
    France #2 1
    James/Cipres 7
    Penchalet/Bourzat 11

    Total 41.

    Hard to overcome their weakness in ladies and pairs.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.

  10. #25
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Not a prediction, but if each federation sent exactly the same skaters to the team trophy as they did to worlds, and if each skater pleced exactly the same way as at worlds, here is how it would turn out.


    JAPAN

    Takahashi 11
    Hnayu 10
    Suzuki 10
    Asada 8
    Takahashi/Tran 11
    Reed/Reed 7

    Total 57

    Japanese ladies can probably do better, maybe land two on the podium.


    CANADA

    Chan 12
    Reynolds 5
    LaCoste 4
    Canada #2 1
    Duhamel/Radford 10
    Virtue/Moir 12

    Total 54

    Canada can move up a point or two if Phaneuf comes as Canada #2 and beats someone.


    USA

    Abbott 7
    Rippon 4
    Wagner 9
    Czisny 3
    Denney/Coughlin 9
    Davis/White 11

    Total 43

    Best chance to move up is for their men to do better, send Caroline Zhang as second lady.


    RUSSIA

    Voronov 3
    Gachinski 2
    Leonova 11
    Makarova 6
    Volosozhar/Trankov 9
    Ilinykh/Katsalapov 9

    Total 43

    Gachinski can do much better (but the report on this thread says he will not be going), but the ladies might not do as well as at Worlds.


    ITALY

    Contesti 6
    Italy #2 1
    Kostner 12
    Marchei 7
    Berton/Hotarek 8
    Alessandrini/Vaturi 8

    Total 42

    Go Italy! Do they have another man?


    FRANCE

    Joubert 9
    Amodio 8
    Silete 5
    France #2 1
    James/Cipres 7
    Penchalet/Bourzat 11

    Total 41.

    Hard to overcome their weakness in ladies and pairs.
    Volosozhar/Trankov should have 12 instead of 9 and Penchalet/Bourzat should have 10: Russia would finish above USA.

  11. #26
    nefertiti..reincarnate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    JAPAN

    Takahashi 11
    Hanyu 10
    Suzuki 10
    Asada 8
    Takahashi/Tran 11
    Reed/Reed 7

    Total 57
    Team Japan for this WTT was announced.

    Suzuki
    Murakami
    Takahashi
    Kozuka (Hanyu injured)
    T&T
    Reeds

  12. #27
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,128
    AFAIR, the Italians have Paolo Bacchini.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJi5jMN5L1c

    He competed for Italy at Sheffield at Europeans.

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    I think V/T aren't going, I think it could be because no competition for them since there is no S/S
    Tuk Tuk is competing I think she did the test skates at Mishin Cup, don't know if they dropped her bid or not

    the team could be:

    1 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
    2 Alena Leonova
    3 Voronov, Gachinski not going ?
    4 I/K
    5 K/S

  14. #29
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    30
    B/L are going instead of K/S. I'm so dissapointed((

  15. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlepa View Post
    Mishin's students don't plan to go to WTT. Neither Liza nor Gachinski or Plush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlepa View Post
    B/L are going instead of K/S. I'm so dissapointed((
    About Plush it was known long time ago because if his surgery. But all the rest is just . A month ago or so they were fighting for Liza's right to take part in WTT. Now after Gachi's fiasco in Nice I assume Mishin doesn't want to take part in any event for a while. V/T, healthy and not injuried, are out because without SS, you see people, the event is not much fun for them. Oh, yes. And then Piseev said in the tone of some Soviet leader that WTT is just a commercial show for the sake of Japanese organizers. Well, there is some truth in his words when he claims that the format of WTT doesn't correspond to the format of OG: two single skaters instead of one just in order to satisfy the gap that Japan has in dances and pairs. All right I get it, Mr. P. But. Still the event is an Olympic Gold Medal segment, where the mother Russia is definitely planning to medal, even gold medal. And to see how the RFSF basically disses the event by not bringing the best skaters, well. Just don't whine later, Mr.P.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •