2012 ISU World Team Trophy Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 ISU World Team Trophy Predictions

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think it is very unlikely that the ISU will exercise its "right" to exclude an entire team mentioned in the last paragraph of Golden's post above. I think they are just mildly leaning on the federations to lean on the currently hot skaters in order to to make a better television show.

About age restrictions, I believe that the Russian federation made inquiries learlier to allow Elizavete Tuktamysysheva to compete. I don't know what the ISU ruling was, but i think the Russian federation dropped the matter in any case.

Good explanation re ISU's bark being worse than its bite, Mathman -- thanks!

If/if re Tuktamysheva:
If her birth date is Dec 17, 1996 (as per ISU bio page), then by my arithmetic, she would have been 14 yrs old before July 1, 2011. If that is the WTT age requirement (as I believe), then she meets it. So maybe there is still hope that we will see her in Tokyo??

Mishin's students don't plan to go to WTT. Neither Liza nor Gachinski or Plush.

I didn't even think about Plushenko! That would have been so cool. But I suppose he is not ready to compete, even if Mr. Mishin would have encouraged/allowed it.

If/if re Tuktamysheva:
If her birth date is Dec 17, 1996 (as per ISU bio page), then by my arithmetic, she would have been 14 yrs old before July 1, 2011. If that is the WTT age requirement (as I believe), then she meets it. So maybe there is still hope that we will see her in Tokyo??

Unfortunately Slepa's information settles the matter.

But about age, yes, I think you are right. The age is 14 for ISU International Competitions" (for instance the Grand Prix), and 15 for "ISU Championships" (Worlds, Euros and Four Continents). So is this a ISU Championship?

But the Team Trophy Annoucement makes it clear by referring to the ISU Constitution, rule 108, paragraph 2b (ISU Competitions) rather than 2a (Cahmpionships). ;) So I guess the Russian Fed could have sent Elizaveta if they had wanted to.

Anyway, the national federations must submit their slate by Thursday, so we should know soon enough!

Not a prediction, but if each federation sent exactly the same skaters to the team trophy as they did to worlds, and if each skater pleced exactly the same way as at worlds, here is how it would turn out. :biggrin:

JAPAN

Takahashi 11
Hnayu 10
Suzuki 10
Asada 8
Takahashi/Tran 11
Reed/Reed 7

Total 57

Japanese ladies can probably do better, maybe land two on the podium.

CANADA

Chan 12
Reynolds 5
LaCoste 4
Canada #2 1
Duhamel/Radford 10
Virtue/Moir 12

Total 54

Canada can move up a point or two if Phaneuf comes as Canada #2 and beats someone.

USA

Abbott 7
Rippon 4
Wagner 9
Czisny 3
Denney/Coughlin 9
Davis/White 11

Total 43

Best chance to move up is for their men to do better, send Caroline Zhang as second lady.

RUSSIA

Voronov 3
Gachinski 2
Leonova 11
Makarova 6
Volosozhar/Trankov 9
Ilinykh/Katsalapov 9

Total 43

Gachinski can do much better (but the report on this thread says he will not be going), but the ladies might not do as well as at Worlds.

ITALY

Contesti 6
Italy #2 1
Kostner 12
Marchei 7
Berton/Hotarek 8
Alessandrini/Vaturi 8

Total 42

Go Italy! Do they have another man?

FRANCE

Joubert 9
Amodio 8
Silete 5
France #2 1
James/Cipres 7
Penchalet/Bourzat 11

Total 41.

Hard to overcome their weakness in ladies and pairs.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
Not a prediction, but if each federation sent exactly the same skaters to the team trophy as they did to worlds, and if each skater pleced exactly the same way as at worlds, here is how it would turn out. :biggrin:

JAPAN

Takahashi 11
Hnayu 10
Suzuki 10
Asada 8
Takahashi/Tran 11
Reed/Reed 7

Total 57

Japanese ladies can probably do better, maybe land two on the podium.

CANADA

Chan 12
Reynolds 5
LaCoste 4
Canada #2 1
Duhamel/Radford 10
Virtue/Moir 12

Total 54

Canada can move up a point or two if Phaneuf comes as Canada #2 and beats someone.

USA

Abbott 7
Rippon 4
Wagner 9
Czisny 3
Denney/Coughlin 9
Davis/White 11

Total 43

Best chance to move up is for their men to do better, send Caroline Zhang as second lady.

RUSSIA

Voronov 3
Gachinski 2
Leonova 11
Makarova 6
Volosozhar/Trankov 9
Ilinykh/Katsalapov 9

Total 43

Gachinski can do much better (but the report on this thread says he will not be going), but the ladies might not do as well as at Worlds.

ITALY

Contesti 6
Italy #2 1
Kostner 12
Marchei 7
Berton/Hotarek 8
Alessandrini/Vaturi 8

Total 42

Go Italy! Do they have another man?

FRANCE

Joubert 9
Amodio 8
Silete 5
France #2 1
James/Cipres 7
Penchalet/Bourzat 11

Total 41.

Hard to overcome their weakness in ladies and pairs.

Volosozhar/Trankov should have 12 instead of 9 and Penchalet/Bourzat should have 10: Russia would finish above USA.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think V/T aren't going, I think it could be because no competition for them since there is no S/S
Tuk Tuk is competing I think she did the test skates at Mishin Cup, don't know if they dropped her bid or not

the team could be:

1 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
2 Alena Leonova
3 Voronov, Gachinski not going ?
4 I/K
5 K/S

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Mishin's students don't plan to go to WTT. Neither Liza nor Gachinski or Plush.
B/L are going instead of K/S. I'm so dissapointed((
About Plush it was known long time ago because if his surgery. But all the rest is just :rolleye:. A month ago or so they were fighting for Liza's right to take part in WTT. Now after Gachi's fiasco in Nice I assume Mishin doesn't want to take part in any event for a while. V/T, healthy and not injuried, are out because without SS, you see people, the event is not much fun for them. Oh, yes. And then Piseev said in the tone of some Soviet leader that WTT is just a commercial show for the sake of Japanese organizers. Well, there is some truth in his words when he claims that the format of WTT doesn't correspond to the format of OG: two single skaters instead of one just in order to satisfy the gap that Japan has in dances and pairs. All right I get it, Mr. P. But. Still the event is an Olympic Gold Medal segment, where the mother Russia is definitely planning to medal, even gold medal. And to see how the RFSF basically disses the event by not bringing the best skaters, well. Just don't whine later, Mr.P. :mad:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
B/L are going instead of K/S. I'm so dissapointed((

B/L are fine with me , but pls don't send Ksenia Makarova
I don't want to watch her LP ever again, pls let it be Polina Shelepen :cry:
even Biryukova

not surprised with V/T not competing
in their interviews they have stated the only pairs that can give them Adrenaline rush and a real challenge is S/S, they even stated that in Euros 2012, without S/S = V/T

Last edited:

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I wish that they send Mirai :) I miss her skating and usually she skates better when the competition is only for the pleasure to be with friends and for enjoying the moment.
In addition, I wish that Frank Carrol will not going into this competition. Mirai skate better when he is not with her.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I wish that they send Mirai :) I miss her skating and usually she skates better when the competition is only for the pleasure to be with friends and for enjoying the moment.
In addition, I wish that Frank Carrol will not going into this competition. Mirai skate better when he is not with her.

Frank Carrol is no longer her coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When was it announced that Frank Carrol is no longer Mirai's coach. I didn't hear about it until FTnoona posted.

@olyphil [Phil Hersh] sent these tweets yesterday (but I don't know if the news already had been reported elsewhere?):

- Frank Carroll just told me he is no longer working with Mirai Nagasu. Reasons logistical - too far for her to rink where Carroll teaches
- Nagasu apparently will work with several coaches at Pickwick - close to home - including Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath, Alex Chang
- Carroll on Nagasu: "The 2-hour drive each way was too much. She was exhausted by the time she got here."

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian team for WTT:
Bush, Voronov
Leonova, Sotnikova
Ilinykh/Katsalapov
Bazarova/Larionov

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know, I'm so excited Sotnikova will be there :yay:. She's excited too on her facebook!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to her!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina ??? :love:

I'm so happy, hope she closes her season with a bang
another medal of any color will do