Thread: 2012 ISU World Team Trophy Predictions

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlepa View Post
    B/L are going instead of K/S. I'm so dissapointed((
    B/L are fine with me , but pls don't send Ksenia Makarova
    I don't want to watch her LP ever again, pls let it be Polina Shelepen
    even Biryukova

not surprised with V/T not competing
    in their interviews they have stated the only pairs that can give them Adrenaline rush and a real challenge is S/S, they even stated that in Euros 2012, without S/S = V/T
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 04-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Custom Title
    I wish that they send Mirai I miss her skating and usually she skates better when the competition is only for the pleasure to be with friends and for enjoying the moment.
    In addition, I wish that Frank Carrol will not going into this competition. Mirai skate better when he is not with her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    I wish that they send Mirai I miss her skating and usually she skates better when the competition is only for the pleasure to be with friends and for enjoying the moment.
    In addition, I wish that Frank Carrol will not going into this competition. Mirai skate better when he is not with her.
    Frank Carrol is no longer her coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    Frank Carrol is no longer her coach.
    When was it announced that Frank Carrol is no longer Mirai's coach. I didn't hear about it until FTnoona posted.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky458 View Post
    When was it announced that Frank Carrol is no longer Mirai's coach. I didn't hear about it until FTnoona posted.
    @olyphil [Phil Hersh] sent these tweets yesterday (but I don't know if the news already had been reported elsewhere?):

- Frank Carroll just told me he is no longer working with Mirai Nagasu. Reasons logistical - too far for her to rink where Carroll teaches
    - Nagasu apparently will work with several coaches at Pickwick - close to home - including Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath, Alex Chang
    - Carroll on Nagasu: "The 2-hour drive each way was too much. She was exhausted by the time she got here."

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Canadian Team:
    Chan, Reynolds
    Lacoste, Phaneuf
    Duhamel & Radford
    Virtue & Moir

The Russian team for WTT:
    Bush, Voronov
    Leonova, Sotnikova
    Ilinykh/Katsalapov
    Bazarova/Larionov
    Last edited by DobrinFan; 04-06-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Gachinski is not going, pity.

Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    The Russian team for WTT:
    Gachinski, Voronov
    Leonova, Sotnikova
    Ilinykh/Katsalapov
    Bazarova/Larionov

I know, I'm so excited Sotnikova will be there . She's excited too on her facebook!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to her!

Banned
    Adelina ???

I'm so happy, hope she closes her season with a bang
    another medal of any color will do

Custom Title
    Skaters are usually picked by world rankings not how challenging the competition may be. V/T will be doing Art on Ice and B/L are now ahead of K/S in the world ranking because of Euros and Worlds besides K/S will be Korea doing shows at that time so they would have been unavailable anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mousepotato View Post
    Skaters are usually picked by world rankings not how challenging the competition may be. V/T will be doing Art on Ice and B/L are now ahead of K/S in the world ranking because of Euros and Worlds besides K/S will be Korea doing shows at that time so they would have been unavailable anyway.
    I don't think you're allowed to skip the WTT to do shows. It's one thing for V/T to manufacture an excuse and claim they're injured or too exhausted or whatever and quite another to basically say, the rules don't apply to us. If that's what they're doing, the ISU will not be pleased with them. As far as I can tell, the only other medalists who aren't going are the injured Hanyu and S/S, whose country did not qualify.

Custom Title
    You make it sound like they are paid employees of the ISU; they don't have to go to any competition, they are not obligated by any means. They can give any reason to miss it they want or no reason at all.

I would rather see V/T but a clean skate from B/L would be nice too.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't think you're allowed to skip the WTT to do shows ...
    You make it sound like they are paid employees of the ISU; they don't have to go to any competition, they are not obligated by any means. They can give any reason to miss it they want or no reason at all.
    Buttercup is correct. This has been discussed before, but here is an excerpt from the ISU announcement re WTT (emphasis added):
    "Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 2, 2012) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2012, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2012.
    In addition, depending on the circumstances, the concerned Skater/Couple and Members may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6 of the General Regulations."

The ISU is the governing body of the sport, right? And the skaters have received prize money from ISU competitions throughout the season, right?
    So makes sense to me that the ISU does have leverage over the skaters, and has the authority to impose rules on them.

The ISU would like to think of them as emplyees.

Actually, although skaters can do as they please, as Golden411 posted, the ISU does have control over which skaters are allowed to compete in ISU events like the Grand Prix, Worlds, and the Olympics. The rule is that if a top ten skater does not skate at this event for any reason, then that skater cannot do any shows or exhibitions during the time period that the World Team Trophy is going on (or between Worlds and the Team Trophy). What the ISU holds over the skaters' heads if they do it anyway, is that the skaters can't go to worlds next year, or something like that. The ISU can also punish the skaters' national federation in various ways if the federation cannot coerce the skaters to comply.

Whether they would enforce this rule or not, I don't know. In the past Michelle Kwan and Evgeny Plushenko were both warned about skipping Grand Prix events. In one case Plushenko was scheduled to do an exhibition in St. Petersburg, but the ISU/Russian Federation made him withdraw and just send a tape of himn skating to be played over the jumbotron.

In Michelle's case, the cheesefest that she was scheduled for took place just after the Grand Prix Final, so she was technically OK and the ISU did not pursue the matter.

This is important to the ISU because it means money. The Japanese television networks that are paying out millions of dollars for this event will not be happy if the ISU does not send the top skaters.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast