2012 ISU World Team Trophy Predictions

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt it, that means the Rus Fed skipped her over for Sotnikova
in fact, she will be competing in a B Competition next week :laugh:

You got that right :laugh: After her long program at Worlds, Makarova was no longer needed, she kept 3 spots for next season. She probably wasn't even asked to boot. She has 2 grand prix events next season and I'm sure Russia will throw her some Senior B's every once in a while :thumbsup:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Japan sort of lucks out with this format. The focus is on singles skating which is their forte and in ice dance oddly enough they could be one spot away from say I and K or C and L realistically yet they are no where close score wise. Pretty lucky it is on ordinal points otherwise Japan might be more in trouble to say the US or Russia. Canada will be in trouble with the women and second men. USA will be okay now that they dumped Czisny. Who would have thought Czisny would place behind Lacoste at world's.

Japan sort of lucks out with this format.

I wouldn't exactly call it luck. This is a made-for-Japanese-TV extravaganza, paid for by Japanese television networks and Japanese corporate sponsors. Of course they would choose a format that gave the home team a good chance.

christinaskater

Medalist
Go Team Japan! I wish Japan (Dai and Akiko) would close the season with a bang and win the World team trophy! Who knows they can also win in Sochi!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The pressure ultimately could fall on the ladies to get their respective teams on the podium. The schedule is:

- Thu Apr 19:
Short Dance
Men Short
Ladies Short

- Fri Apr 20:
Pairs Short
Free Dance
Men Free

- Sat Apr 21:
Pairs Free
Ladies Free

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
The pressure ultimately could fall on the ladies to get their respective teams on the podium. The schedule is:

- Thu Apr 19:
Short Dance
Men Short
Ladies Short

- Fri Apr 20:
Pairs Short
Free Dance
Men Free

- Sat Apr 21:
Pairs Free
Ladies Free

Looks like the pressure on Gracie's shoulder just went up a few notches.

fairly4

Medalist
the easiest country to win is Japan--strong in 3/4 disciplines-balanced overall-most like to medal in ladies-men, pairs, dance is weak spot
russia
next with decent ladies, pairs, dance -most likely to win pairs, and medal in dance and probably medal in ladies

U.s. can win but weak spot is men -jeremy has to finish and/or medal and or both men has to finish as high as possible -hard to do with patrick, france, japan men, with a strong showing from russian men -might be hard.
ladies-ashley i can see a top 4 finish, gracies a top 8- top 4-(caroline, ashley, akiko, alena- next group- kanako, gracie, adelina, valentina, (last 4 would be mae-bernice, yretha, amelie, cynthia.
pairs can finish with a medal and or 4th

ladies can medal might go not weak but not strong.

canada can win-but needs help from ladies to win-one/both has to finish in top 6 jwith ashley, alena, akiko, kanako, carolina, adelina, gracie fighting to keep them down.

italy and france rounds out for me

the teams are more balanced this year -no runaway unless major mess up.

i see a team winning it with 50-52 possible a 54

gmyers

Record Breaker
Having no real entry in Mens means Russia might be last. you can't just have three disciplines and not even go for all 4- especially in the singles! You need two singles skaters.

1-Japan
2-United States
3-Canada
4-France
5-Italy
6-Russia

ice coverage

Record Breaker
the easiest country to win is Japan--strong in 3/4 disciplines-balanced overall-most like to medal in ladies-men, pairs, dance is weak spot
russia
next with decent ladies, pairs, dance -most likely to win pairs, and medal in dance and probably medal in ladies

U.s. can win but weak spot is men -jeremy has to finish and/or medal and or both men has to finish as high as possible -hard to do with patrick, france, japan men, with a strong showing from russian men -might be hard.
ladies-ashley i can see a top 4 finish, gracies a top 8- top 4-(caroline, ashley, akiko, alena- next group- kanako, gracie, adelina, valentina, (last 4 would be mae-bernice, yretha, amelie, cynthia.
pairs can finish with a medal and or 4th

ladies can medal might go not weak but not strong. ...

Semantic question:
Will 2012 WTT event have medals for top finishers in each of the four disciplines? The only "awards on ice" will be for the top teams in the final overall standings.
But will there be separate "small medal" ceremonies for the four disciplines?

2012 official language is the same as for 2009:
"11. AWARDS ON ICE
The winning team will be awarded with the ISU World Team Trophy. All participating Skaters/Couples will receive a medal.
The national anthem of the country of the winning team will be played and the flags of the countries of the three best teams will be hoisted.
For the Skaters/Couples having obtained the best individual scores, gifts may be remitted. However, no podium shall be used, no national anthems can be played and no flags can be hoisted."

Last edited:

mousepotato

On the Ice
Semantic question:
Will 2012 WTT event have medals for top finishers in each of the four disciplines? The only "awards on ice" will be for the top teams in the final overall standings.
But will there be separate "small medal" ceremonies for the four disciplines?

2012 official language is the same as for 2009:
"11. AWARDS ON ICE
The winning team will be awarded with the ISU World Team Trophy. All participating Skaters/Couples will receive a medal.
The national anthem of the country of the winning team will be played and the flags of the countries of the three best teams will be hoisted.
For the Skaters/Couples having obtained the best individual scores, gifts may be remitted. However, no podium shall be used, no national anthems can be played and no flags can be hoisted."

The individual medalist will get medals and a gift, last time it was during the banquet.

fairly4

Medalist
japan if skates well and finishes high can runaway with the event. they can place high in points. if all skate well.

as far as alissa-i heard they promised her a spot regardless of where she finished at worlds, so asking her isn't out of the question-since she made sure regarding 4cc. but gracie

burntBREAD

Medalist
japan if skates well and finishes high can runaway with the event. they can place high in points. if all skate well.

as far as alissa-i heard they promised her a spot regardless of where she finished at worlds, so asking her isn't out of the question-since she made sure regarding 4cc. but gracie

Alissa was offered WTT but refused it.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I have no prediction for this event.
But, I wish that Cynthia Phaneuf skate to her potential :) and I hope that Brian Orser give her the confidence that she needs to perform well.