Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Adam Rippon Needs Gracie Gold's Coach

On the Ice
    My own skater was coached for a time by Peter Dunfield,Yuka Sato's coach in Canada. He was quiet,but very firm,and didn't yell or scream,but all the skaters,including Yuka Sato herself were left in no doubt about his expectations. She herself probably coaches in the same manner,but like her former coach,and probably her Father is definitely not a touchy feely coach,and definitely not a screamer. Adam Rippon reminds me of another incredibly talented skater in our group. She wanted to work on the artistic side,and no coach could get her to do anything in the gym,with or without a trainer. She ultimately left,and got kicked out of three major training centres as stubborn and a bad influence on other skaters. It is well known here that Adam was uncooperative about off ice training aimed at improving his jumps,and moving from coach to coach will not change that attitude.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Adam is such a beautiful skater. I think he is truly elegant and when I see him I am reminded of skaters likem Johnny Weir, Paul Wylie, John Curry even. Is Richard Callaghan still coaching? I never hear of him-did he retire? I know he was very close to Eldridge and they did well together, and of course Tara Lipinski, though Tara was a terror in a good sense and would win with any high level coach. Such a phenom.

Anyone know what Callaghan is up to and who he coaches if still in the game?
    Callaghan and Eldredge both coach at the Germain Arena in Southwest Florida. However, I'm not sure if Callaghan takes on any male students. A sexual harrassment complaint by a former male student forced him to temporarily retire in 1999. Since then, however, he's coached Jennifer Kirk, Angela Nikodinov, Kimmie Meissner, and Shizuka Arakawa.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I don't think their personalities would mesh. Alex would chew up Adam and spit him out in one lesson.
    My impression is that is exactly what Rippon needs, LOL.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Adam's reluctance to train in the gym was mentioned in a recent article. Not good.

Custom Title
    Adam need to STOP changing coaches. He's had three coaches in the past 6 years and he's in the same spot he was when he left Morosov. If Mr. Triple Axel (Orser) can't give him a reliable triple axel, maybe the possibility exits that it's not his assorted coach's fault that he doesn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Adam's reluctance to train in the gym was mentioned in a recent article. Not good.
    If this is true, than Alex would kick him out after a couple weeks. Of his highly talented high level skaters, he would not put up with that.

Custom Title
    Ugh, I think it's so pointless to argue that "so-and-so" needs "so-and-so's" coach.

First of all, coaches and skaters need to be compatible on various metrics like personality, training style, work ethic, goals, etc. In many cases, you don't know if a student-coach relationship will work until it's been tried at least for a couple of months (or through a competition at the very least).

Also, just because one coach did well with one skater doesn't make that coach a miracle worker. Correlation does not imply causation, people. Yes, Gold's coach could be the most brilliant coach for jumping technique, but Gold also likely has an inherent jumping ability which allowed her to progress quickly.

It's funny because when a skater does well, people start saying that other skaters need that skater's coach as if he/she is a miracle worker - even if people haven't been talking about that coach before and that coach is relatively unknown.

Custom Title
    I think we just need to start accepting the fact that maybe Adam's just the type of skater that is never going to have a reliable 3a or quad. There are a lot of men out there like that - Grant Hochstein, Johnathan Cassar, Scott Dyer to name a few, and they are all beautiful skaters like Adam, but they won't stand a chance of making World Teams with their current technical state and everyone recognizes that. It's nice that Adam at least goes for these jumps in competition, but it might just be time to get a reality check in regards to him. In his current state, he doesn't really have business being on a World Team, and we saw that this year. He skated like he's skated all this season, which would appear to be the best he's capable of at this point, and wound up 13th. I was expecting he'd place around there, so to me, it wasn't that surprising, and it wasn't like he bombed. Ross Miner or Josh Farris would have had better odds, I'm not saying they would have placed higher than 13th, they could have placed lower even, but skating to the best of their abilities either likely could have placed 7th, and Adam with the state of his 3a and 4s would have not been able to manage that.

Farris's one senior outing this year was abysmal (16th at Nationals). He would not have been the guy I would have put on the World team instead just like Dornbush wouldn't have been. Miner is probably the guy who deserverd it most.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ross has been a very steady guy. I was so happy he won the bronze behind Dai & Patrick at 4CC's. It was so funny, in a sad way, when there was a question by a reporter about Worlds, and Ross had to say, Uh, I'm not going to Worlds. His 3A is gorgeous, and I hope he is able to be secure with his 4T enough to put it in his programs this next season.

Adam just seems like he needs to become stronger or something. Maybe more arm strength, mental strength idk.

I love it, when he bombed with Morosov, everyone said Orser was the coach he needed - because Orser'd just had big success with Kim YuNa. Then when that crapped out and he didn't do any better under Orser, brief as it was, everyone wanted him to go to Yuka & Jason. He's crapped out again so let's send him to another coach...

meanwhile skaters like Cohen and Bobek who chased coaches for a time were blasted (and still are) because they were trying to find a quick fix. THERE'S NO QUICK FIX FOR RIPPON.

Custom Title
    If Rippon isn't enthusiastic about the workhorse aspect of figure skating, there isn't a coach in creation who will be able to help him. But there's something so appealing about his on-ice persona that we keep hoping that his abilities will catch up to his artistry. It's only natural for us to keep wishing.

But this shows why so many of us love Daisuke, Patrick, or both. In addition to their talent, technical skills, and all-around awesomeness, there's no question that both of these guys will work themselves into the ground to achieve their goals. All the boring stuff, the repetitive stuff, the sheer grind of daily conditioning--bring it on! They're ready.

I really didn't like his programs this year, last years seemed better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I love it, when he bombed with Morosov, everyone said Orser was the coach he needed - because Orser'd just had big success with Kim YuNa. Then when that crapped out and he didn't do any better under Orser, brief as it was, everyone wanted him to go to Yuka & Jason. He's crapped out again so let's send him to another coach...

meanwhile skaters like Cohen and Bobek who chased coaches for a time were blasted (and still are) because they were trying to find a quick fix. THERE'S NO QUICK FIX FOR RIPPON.
    I actually thought he was doing fine with Orser. This year, I found him incredibly slow and his programs lacked transitions.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast