Fred Astaire vs. Gene Kelly

E

eliza88

Fred Astaire vs. Gene Kelly

Which do you like better and why?

J

Joesitz

Re: Fred Astaire vs. Gene Kelly

Both were dance driven and with Kelly, he was total package driven - had his hand in everything. Tough guys to work with but the ladies who did were tough, too.

Choosing one over the other serves no purpose. Enjoy them both.

Joe

E

eliza88

Joe--
I can never choose between them. I absolutely love them both. I was curious to know if others liked one over the other and why...Do the "experts" say one was better than the other?

I didn't know they were difficult to work with, I am guessing they were both perfectionists.

eliza88

D

dlksk8fan

Joe I'm with you. I love both these guys. Kelly for his more athletic dancing and Astaire for his smooth dancing. They were both unique and wonderful dancers and I never miss a movie of theirs when it is on TV. Oh to be able to have danced with Fred or Gene.

I would have voted but one is not better then the other.

From what I have read Gene was the tough one to work with, but both were perfectionist.

J

Joesitz

Ita, One really can't put one over the other. Basically, Gene was tap/ballet and Fred was tap/ballroom, but they both learned to interchange. They had no choice, if Fred broke his ankle Gene had to go in; and visa versa.

There was something about Fred and Ginger that will always be priceless. They looked like they never rehearsed. She was the consumate follow; he the lead. Watch the dance teams in figure skating. See if you can pick out those who are leading and those who follow. Sometimes it's the ladies leading - not good!. In Pairs too.

Joe

L

LADSKATER

I loved Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly both so therefore cannot vote either way. They were both marvelous dancers and each had a different style. I think they can both be appreciated.

Ladskater

S

sk8ing lady2001

I like both, of course. :)

D

dlksk8fan

If Gene Kelly were a figure skater he would have made a good one. Has anyone seen him in the movie where he roller skates? He seems so natural on the skates.

J

Joesitz

Indeed, Gene could skate some good edges. I believe, Fred (along with Ginger) also roller skated in one of their movies.

Joe

4dogknight

Hadda go with Gene. As joe said "This guy is the complete package". Talk about Shirley McLlaine being a triple threat - sing, dance, act; well Gene could do all that and direct, produce and choreograph as well.

I've always felt that Astaire was a little on the feminine side. I think it was his hand and arm movements. Or maybe body shape. Or it just could have been the time in which he was dancing; foppishness (is that a word?) was in vogue. Always made me feel uncomfortable.

Kelly seemed so earthy, so strong and masculine.

Or I could have been influenced by family; my cousin went to Kelly's mother's dance studio in Pittsburgh and danced with Gene for a short time.

Who impressed me the most; Gene Kelly - the consummate entertainer.

Here's a link with more information about Kelly:
www.imdb.com/Name?Kelly,+Gene#actor1940

4dk