Lift positions | Golden Skate

Lift positions

cassiem

On the Ice
I have noticed both Caydee Denney and Qing Pang consistently getting positive GoE for sloppy, unstretched lift positions. Why isn't Grade of Execution reflecting quality of execution? At the start of the season, it was reported that pairs would get no credit for death spirals if the lady's head didn't go below her knee, yet they judges are perfectly willing to reward lazy positions on lifts. Personally, I hate butt-in-the-air death spirals and don't mind seeing them thoroughly punished but a lady's head not being down far enough doesn't always mean a death spiral is unattractive. The worse crime is Caydee Denney's position on that last lift. :laugh:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I have noticed both Caydee Denney and Qing Pang consistently getting positive GoE for sloppy, unstretched lift positions. Why isn't Grade of Execution reflecting quality of execution? At the start of the season, it was reported that pairs would get no credit for death spirals if the lady's head didn't go below her knee, yet they judges are perfectly willing to reward lazy positions on lifts. Personally, I hate butt-in-the-air death spirals and don't mind seeing them thoroughly punished but a lady's head not being down far enough doesn't always mean a death spiral is unattractive. The worse crime is Caydee Denney's position on that last lift. :laugh:

Points awarded are not just related to the skater's stretch and toe point in the lift. There is speed into, during and out of the lift, the entry, the number of changes of position, the difficulty of the posiiton(s), the security of the hold, the ice coverage, and the dismount. If the position is not stretched, that would not preclude the lift from getting GoE but it would likely have received a higher mark if the positions were better.