Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This is sad for Mirai to leave a top coach. She should move near Frank. These people are going to take her nowhere. UGH-Frank and Lori to these foolks? Who is the real coach please stand up. Mirai, good luck.

skfan

Final Flight
According to a recent IN article:

"'Last year I was really upset watching worlds,' she said. 'I was in Canada with Lori [Nichol], and it made me feel really upset that I wasn't there. But this year, it didn't really bother me. Last year it would have really brought me down, but this year, it's motivation for me to do better next year.

'I think the past couple of years, I've just put all of myself into skating, and this year I'd like to try to balance everything,' she said. 'Skating will always be my No. 1 priority, but it's nice for me to have something else to think about. It does upset me that I'm not at worlds, and it does upset me that I didn't do as well as I could have at nationals, but it's something to motivate me for next year.'

To bring some balance to her life, Nagasu has gone back to school, at Pasadena Community College.

'I'm taking art classes, which is a lot of fun,' she said. 'And I just got my driver's license, so I'm driving to school by myself.'"

"For the moment, Nagasu has been training in a local rink by herself, in addition to spending three hours a day in school.

'I haven't been traveling to Palm Springs because I'm not training my programs,' she said, 'So I'm skating at my local rink and just enjoying myself. Being in the real world makes me see how much I love the skating world. It's nice to have a balance of school and skating. I can appreciate how much work goes into both.'"

looks like we'll see an improved Mirai next year! :yay:

i'm no mind reader, but perhaps when mirai says 'real' world she means a world outside of the skating rink, perhaps a place where her spontaneity is appreciated instead of seen as deviation from the norm? of course the 'real' world of a part-time college student taking an art class while her parents subsidize her very expensive training is different from that of an adult who works full time to support herself.

i don't know if this change will help her skating, but i'm glad she's moved on from the stalemate, go nowhere position. frank sounds gracious, and it appears they've parted on good terms.

her vids from ice chips,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1UO90zSA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0FtxDtNbes

to my eyes at least, show a skater who's fully committed to performing for the audience, enjoying her skating once again.

Dear Mr. Bill Gates. Sir, you have lots of money....wouldnt you like to see Mirai get coached by Jason and Yuka for awhile and see what happens?
Please send a tax deductable contribution to Mirai Nagasu so she can go see Jason and Yuka for awhile.....
I would be grateful....and I will even let you sit by me at the next worlds....
Ye Ole Coyote in the dry part of WA state
Please rewrite your letter to Bill Gates before mailing. Yuka and Jason are going through a rough patch (see the results of Alissa, Adam, and Jeremy at Worlds).

tampro1

Rinkside
I'm sure that these are competent coaches,but who is in charge? Mirai will be in a perfect position to play each one. With the number of high level coaches in the area I wonder if Mirai's reputation played a part in hercoaching change.I sense diplomacy in Frank Carrol's statement,but I was waiting for the announcement to come after World's,and I think the push came from him. Rafael Artunian,Tammy Gambill,Ilia Kulik,Peter Opegaard,John Nicks all teach in the area. At Mirai's level why leave Frank Carroll and not try for a high level coach with the experience and push to take her to the highest levels. Maybe her reputation is such that nobody wants to take her and her work habits on. Pity.

I have a sense that Simoncat is correct. Carroll probably had had enough as well. If she was truly serious, she'd have gotten a well known top level coach that judges and the federation respect. Mirai is done :disapp:

mintchococaffe

Spectator
Maybe this is just temporary situation and she'll go to renowned coach(es) like Arutunian,Gamibil or someone else. JMO.
Anyway, I wish her the best of luck :)

oh,my 1st post ;)[

b-man

Final Flight
Maybe this is just temporary situation and she'll go to renowned coach(es) like Arutunian,Gamibil or someone else. JMO.
Anyway, I wish her the best of luck :)

oh,my 1st post ;)[

Mintchococaffe: Welcome to Goldenskate. Post often!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
not surprised
this was so expected

hopefully now with more time
Mirai can now train better even at her local rink

i'm no mind reader, but perhaps when mirai says 'real' world she means a world outside of the skating rink, perhaps a place where her spontaneity is appreciated instead of seen as deviation from the norm? of course the 'real' world of a part-time college student taking an art class while her parents subsidize her very expensive training is different from that of an adult who works full time to support herself.

i don't know if this change will help her skating, but i'm glad she's moved on from the stalemate, go nowhere position. frank sounds gracious, and it appears they've parted on good terms.

her vids from ice chips,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1UO90zSA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0FtxDtNbes

to my eyes at least, show a skater who's fully committed to performing for the audience, enjoying her skating once again.

Yes, I think all these signs taken together might mean that she is done competing and looks forward to skating in shows and entertainments.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Just because no one has "heard" of them doesn't mean they might not be the right people for Mirai. Maybe they will give her the kick in the @ss she needs... Alex O is another coach no one had ever heard of and yet his name is getting mentioned with regard to Adam R and Jason B because his current top student (Gracie G) has great jumping technique.

As for top level coaches in the area:
Oppegard and Kwan are busy with Zhang as their star pupil, why would they take on her direct competitor? That makes no sense. I don't see Zhang agreeing to it AT ALL.
Gambil has Dornbush as her star pupil and several upcoming (Intermediate and Novice this past season) students. She probably doesn't have time/space in her schedule.
Artunian is still kind of far for her as a main coach, isn't he? Isn't that what everyone suggested she get away from? (I mean the long commute).

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Artunian is still kind of far for her as a main coach, isn't he? Isn't that what everyone suggested she get away from? (I mean the long commute).

Artunian is a taskmaster. He has little patience for skaters unless they're workers. The strong evidence is that Nagasu is not a worker.

emma

Record Breaker
Wishing Mirai all the best in her new situation. I'm not surprised about the news, and if as MM suggests, this means a move in the direction of show skating, I really hope she finds joy in it. As a fan of what she could do when she brought her A game, I will say, though, that I'll miss her competitive potential - although I also applaud what she did achieve too.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Artunian is a taskmaster. He has little patience for skaters unless they're workers. The strong evidence is that Nagasu is not a worker.

But isn't he like a 1-2 hour commute one way? (Ice Castle?) Isn't everyone advocating she either move closer to the coach or work with someone close by? I have no idea if she's a hard worker or not - never been on a session with her - but if she's trying to stay more locally, this might make the most sense. Anecdotal evidence suggests she needs someone to kick her in the pants, but we don't know that for sure.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Would you please summarize that evidence? Thanks.

She has posted/tweeted about "good Mirai and bad Mirai", more than once. She's talked about having disagreements with Frank over her commitment to training. As has Frank. He's sent her home from the rink on days he felt she wasn't making the effort.

I remember Raphael Artunian being so pleased with Asada. He said she'd skate 24 hours a day if you let her and that he had to tell her to get off the ice. Big difference.

Any links?
Not trying to be in your face, but I honestly don't recall any specifics and don't believe in judging someone based on undocumented assertions. "Good Mirai bad Mirai" could mean anything. I do remember reading that about Mao and Arutunian.

skfan

Final Flight
Yes, I think all these signs taken together might mean that she is done competing and looks forward to skating in shows and entertainments.

did i imply she has decided to quit competing to focus solely on shows? if so, that wasn't my intention. i was actually addressing the point some observers have made that mirai was (in their eyes) an emotional zombie just going through the motions during her competitive programs at nationals.

i meant to say that at least at ice chips, she's in the moment and enjoying herself and definitely giving the audience their money's worth. i see that as a sign that the spark is still there, and there's hope we'll see olympics-mirai again.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Any links?
Not trying to be in your face, but I honestly don't recall any specifics and don't believe in judging someone based on undocumented assertions. "Good Mirai bad Mirai" could mean anything. I do remember reading that about Mao and Arutunian.

Frank on Mirai to Phil Hersh (after 2011 Nationals):
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...lympics-czisny-flatt-nagasu-who-makes-it.html

Nagasu's case is the most perplexing.

Her coach, Frank Carroll, told me Sunday he was infuriated by the way Nagasu appeared to give up at the end of her program and her posture as she waited on the ice for the scores of the previous skater. He felt she was all but mooning the audience (without exposing any flesh, of course) by bending over repeatedly in the middle of the rink to tie her skates.

Her technical marks were only ninth best in the field.

``She needs an awakening,'' Carroll said. ``Maybe this is the slap that will do it.''

Nagasu's career, like Czisny's, has been a bit of a roller-coaster.

She won nationals as a 14-year-old in 2008, dropped to 5th in an injury-plagued 2009, came back to finish second (and be the best U.S. skater in Olympics and worlds) in 2010, then missed the world team after finishing third Saturday.

That Nagasu was off the ice with a stress fracture for two months last summer affected her preparation. But Carroll, who coached Evan Lysacek to the 2010 Olympic gold, said the time off also should have given her needed rest after a whirlwind 2010 season.

``She had such a great season it was hard to get her juices going again,'' Carroll said. ``And not having Evan in the rink beside her every day to kick her butt and tell her when she was ridiculous also was a factor.

``She has been a bit all over the place. Sometimes I don't understand where she is coming from. I feel she trained better than what I got (Saturday), but she didn't get her act together until about three weeks ago. That's not really long enough.''

ETA: I thought it was a bit crass for Frank to throw his skater under the bus like that, but alas I post to point out that Frank has spoken publicly about the work ethic issue.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's over for Mirai. If she was truly committed to being the best she could be she would have found a way to be closer to Frank and continue to train with him.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
did i imply she has decided to quit competing to focus solely on shows? if so, that wasn't my intention. i was actually addressing the point some observers have made that mirai was (in their eyes) an emotional zombie just going through the motions during her competitive programs at nationals.

i meant to say that at least at ice chips, she's in the moment and enjoying herself and definitely giving the audience their money's worth. i see that as a sign that the spark is still there, and there's hope we'll see olympics-mirai again.

Mirai does not have the record to rely soley on shows. She is a two time national champ but has little-no international record and is not exactly a crowd-drawer.