Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Kostner had no real competition in her country, so she was able to compete at every Worlds starting in 2003. Over that 10-year period, she had her ups and downs, but she won 4 medals (including 2012 WC) and never finished lower than 10th at Worlds.

Mirai has plenty of competition at home, which on paper should have spurred her on to skate her best at Nationals, but for some reason that has not been the case. Since the 2010 Olympics, she doesn't seem to have the incentive to win that is the hallmark of a true champion.
    Kostner was 12th twice at Worlds....

I think for Mirai, she's not really a fighter. She gives up on the rest of her program when something goes wrong. She has to change her mind-set 'cause I believe she does have the technical ability, and artistry to be a WC.

On the Ice
    I am glad she is realizing there is a life outside of skating. That may help her not put so much pressure on herself when she competes.

That said, she doesn't sound like - at the moment, anyway - that she has the competitive fire needed to be among the best of elite figure skaters. Skating by herself is all well and good to a point but I hope it is just a temporary thing and that she is serious about working hard next year.

Custom Title
    When I first saw her skate as a Junior, I thought Mirai would be the next big thing in US Ladies' skating. She's not, and I don't think she ever will be at this point. I don't think she wants it enough and I think she has serious work ethic issues.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    When I first saw her skate as a Junior, I thought Mirai would be the next big thing in US Ladies' skating. She's not, and I don't think she ever will be at this point. I don't think she wants it enough and I think she has serious work ethic issues.
    Know this is a Mirai thread, but i feel the same way about Javier Fernandez and now Adam Rippon. They just aren't committed athletes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Kostner had no real competition in her country, so she was able to compete at every Worlds starting in 2003. Over that 10-year period, she had her ups and downs, but she won 4 medals (including 2012 WC) and never finished lower than 10th at Worlds.
    Carolina finished 12th twice at worlds. I do agree that she had no competition compared to America which seems to be full of people who peak at nationals, so that makes it really difficult. This year was really her big slump considering she won the short at nationals and beat out both other medalists there for the four continents bronze medal. I think every skater is entitled to one or two horror seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I think for Mirai, she's not really a fighter. She gives up on the rest of her program when something goes wrong. She has to change her mind-set 'cause I believe she does have the technical ability, and artistry to be a WC.
    The worst part about the second statement in your post is that Frank Carroll is a STICKLER for continuing to sell the program and finish strong, even with a mistake, because you never know what's going to happen. One of my coaches trained with him for awhile and instills this same midset in his skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    The worst part about the second statement in your post is that Frank Carroll is a STICKLER for continuing to sell the program and finish strong, even with a mistake, because you never know what's going to happen. One of my coaches trained with him for awhile and instills this same midset in his skaters.
    Ah....I guess maybe she's not a good match with Carroll? Because it's quite evident (at least to me) that Mirai abandoned her LP at Nationals this year after making that mistake on her 3-2-2 combo. She was doing so well beforehand....

Custom Title
    Back in the days, it was something like this
    "Well, if Bebe beats you ..."
    "We could have sent Bebe ..."

Now, it is something like this
    "Flatt beats you ..."
    "An out of shape Flatt could beat Czisny's record at World this year ..."

Poor Rachael, she's the new Bebe.

She's definitely her own skater. Seems to be very bullheaded... she needs someone like Frank to hold her accountable, but with her commute to and from the rink and being on her own a bit for training it seems that she does as she pleases. Not a good combo. I don't think a "nice" and "easy going" coach is the one for her either, but at somepoint it's not the coach's fault that they can't motivate their skater...

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Ah....I guess maybe she's not a good match with Carroll? Because it's quite evident (at least to me) that Mirai abandoned her LP at Nationals this year after making that mistake on her 3-2-2 combo. She was doing so well beforehand....
    I am sure that was what he castigated her with later - why did you basically give up? And rightfully so if he did castigate her. Maybe that makes him 100% the RIGHT coach for her IF he can work with her ALL THE TIME as he would hold her more accountable and maybe she would begin to hold HERSELF more accountable.

Custom Title
    According to Phil Hersh' twitter, Mirai Nagasu and Frank Carroll have parted ways. She'll be working with Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath and Alex Chang

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    According to Phil Hersh' twitter, Mirai Nagasu and Frank Carroll have parted ways. She'll be working with Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath and Alex Chang
    I wonder why Frank had to move so far away at such a crucial time in Mirai's career. It really affected her I think.

was this from earlier today?

Perhaps we have seen the best of Mirai...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alexeifan View Post
    I wonder why Frank had to move so far away at such a crucial time in Mirai's career. It really affected her I think.
    Frank has had a home out in Palm Springs/Palm Desert area for many, many years. He was tired of the commuting. And, at his age, he should be allowed to coach close to home.

Custom Title

Yipes! For real? I leave my computer for an hour and I come back to see that the world has changed.

I don't know, but I feel kind of sad for Frank. He put a lot into his work with Mirai. Something in her held her back. Thank goodness Frank had at least three workhorses who were able to absorb everything he taught them: Fratianne, Kwan, and Lysacek. I'm sorry Mirai wasn't in that league, but maybe she'll find more motivation with her new team.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast