Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    was this from earlier today?

Perhaps we have seen the best of Mirai...
    Yes, about 1 hour ago

Off topic, but I wonder what Phil Hersh thinks about using Twitter as journalistic vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Off topic, but I wonder what Phil Hersh thinks about using Twitter as journalistic vehicle.
    most journalists have transitioned well - adapt or die - I know journalists from my generation love it... but it would be interesting to see what he thinks... like everything I think it has it's pros and cons... and every day is a battle see if the pros or the cons will win.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Oh my goodness. Oh dear. Who are those people?

Weldy Olsen the hockey player????
    http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...y-olson-1.html

Jere Michael
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jere_Michael

Craig Heath
    http://www.craigheath.com/profile.htm

Alex Chang
    http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/fig...f-coaches.html

I wish Mirai and all these coaches the very best but....
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 04-03-2012 at 10:01 PM.

According to Phil Hersh' twitter, Mirai Nagasu and Frank Carroll have parted ways. She'll be working with Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath and Alex Chang
    who are they? i've never heard of any of them.

his last tweet would make sense...if mirai is that tired by the time she gets to the rink, she's probably not going to want to work...no one has the motivation to do so when they're tired. perhaps this is the reason for her results this year.

On the Ice
    According to Phil Hersh' twitter, Mirai Nagasu and Frank Carroll have parted ways. She'll be working with Weldy Olson, Jere Michael, Craig Heath and Alex Chang
    I'm sure that these are competent coaches,but who is in charge? Mirai will be in a perfect position to play each one. With the number of high level coaches in the area I wonder if Mirai's reputation played a part in hercoaching change.I sense diplomacy in Frank Carrol's statement,but I was waiting for the announcement to come after World's,and I think the push came from him. Rafael Artunian,Tammy Gambill,Ilia Kulik,Peter Opegaard,John Nicks all teach in the area. At Mirai's level why leave Frank Carroll and not try for a high level coach with the experience and push to take her to the highest levels. Maybe her reputation is such that nobody wants to take her and her work habits on. Pity.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Simoncat View Post
    I'm sure that these are competent coaches,but who is in charge? Mirai will be in a perfect position to play each one. With the number of high level coaches in the area I wonder if Mirai's reputation played a part in hercoaching change.I sense diplomacy in Frank Carrol's statement,but I was waiting for the announcement to come after World's,and I think the push came from him. Rafael Artunian,Tammy Gambill,Ilia Kulik,Peter Opegaard,John Nicks all teach in the area. At Mirai's level why leave Frank Carroll and not try for a high level coach with the experience and push to take her to the highest levels. Maybe her reputation is such that nobody wants to take her and her work habits on. Pity.
    She reportedly trained with Artunian some in the last few months, and Mirai gave positive comments. I thought he would be the logical choice.

I've heard of Craig Heath. He has done a lot of professional skating in shows of various kinds. I think he is on the permanent staff for the Sun Valley shows.

I think he should rework this signature Craig Heath program for Mirai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4Rpg139h0

Dear Mr. Bill Gates. Sir, you have lots of money....wouldnt you like to see Mirai get coached by Jason and Yuka for awhile and see what happens?
    Please send a tax deductable contribution to Mirai Nagasu so she can go see Jason and Yuka for awhile.....
    I would be grateful....and I will even let you sit by me at the next worlds....
    Ye Ole Coyote in the dry part of WA state

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Oh my goodness. Oh dear. Who are those people?

Weldy Olsen the hockey player????
    http://www.sports-reference.com/olym...y-olson-1.html

Jere Michael
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jere_Michael

Craig Heath
    http://www.craigheath.com/profile.htm

Alex Chang
    http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/fig...f-coaches.html

I wish Mirai and all these coaches the very best but....
    I read the four bios provided by Spun Silver. The one for Wendy is not the same person, Wendy is apparently a southern California coach. The bio for J. Michael says he is working with a Deleware skating club, so it must be dated. he was a competitive skater. The bio for Craig Heath seems to be current, He does a lot of show skating, and goes back and forth teaching/performing between Sun Valley and Hong Kong. He is supposed to be in Hong Kong through May. Chang was also a competitive skater and is on the staff of East West ice palace where Oppelgard/Kwan teach. The Hersh twitter said Mirai will be at Pickwick Garden rink in Burbank, but none of these coachs, at least from first glance, appear associated with the Burbank rink

This is sad for Mirai to leave a top coach. She should move near Frank. These people are going to take her nowhere. UGH-Frank and Lori to these foolks? Who is the real coach please stand up. Mirai, good luck.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    According to a recent IN article:

"'Last year I was really upset watching worlds,' she said. 'I was in Canada with Lori [Nichol], and it made me feel really upset that I wasn't there. But this year, it didn't really bother me. Last year it would have really brought me down, but this year, it's motivation for me to do better next year.

'I think the past couple of years, I've just put all of myself into skating, and this year I'd like to try to balance everything,' she said. 'Skating will always be my No. 1 priority, but it's nice for me to have something else to think about. It does upset me that I'm not at worlds, and it does upset me that I didn't do as well as I could have at nationals, but it's something to motivate me for next year.'

To bring some balance to her life, Nagasu has gone back to school, at Pasadena Community College.

'I'm taking art classes, which is a lot of fun,' she said. 'And I just got my driver's license, so I'm driving to school by myself.'"

"For the moment, Nagasu has been training in a local rink by herself, in addition to spending three hours a day in school.

'I haven't been traveling to Palm Springs because I'm not training my programs,' she said, 'So I'm skating at my local rink and just enjoying myself. Being in the real world makes me see how much I love the skating world. It's nice to have a balance of school and skating. I can appreciate how much work goes into both.'"

looks like we'll see an improved Mirai next year!

i'm no mind reader, but perhaps when mirai says 'real' world she means a world outside of the skating rink, perhaps a place where her spontaneity is appreciated instead of seen as deviation from the norm? of course the 'real' world of a part-time college student taking an art class while her parents subsidize her very expensive training is different from that of an adult who works full time to support herself.

i don't know if this change will help her skating, but i'm glad she's moved on from the stalemate, go nowhere position. frank sounds gracious, and it appears they've parted on good terms.

her vids from ice chips,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1UO90zSA0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0FtxDtNbes

to my eyes at least, show a skater who's fully committed to performing for the audience, enjoying her skating once again.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Dear Mr. Bill Gates. Sir, you have lots of money....wouldnt you like to see Mirai get coached by Jason and Yuka for awhile and see what happens?
    Please send a tax deductable contribution to Mirai Nagasu so she can go see Jason and Yuka for awhile.....
    I would be grateful....and I will even let you sit by me at the next worlds....
    Ye Ole Coyote in the dry part of WA state
    Please rewrite your letter to Bill Gates before mailing. Yuka and Jason are going through a rough patch (see the results of Alissa, Adam, and Jeremy at Worlds).

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Simoncat View Post
    I have a sense that Simoncat is correct. Carroll probably had had enough as well. If she was truly serious, she'd have gotten a well known top level coach that judges and the federation respect. Mirai is done

Rinkside
    Maybe this is just temporary situation and she'll go to renowned coach(es) like Arutunian,Gamibil or someone else. JMO.
    Anyway, I wish her the best of luck

oh,my 1st post [

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast