Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll

Custom Title
    Mirai is just one of many promising skaters that didn't live up to her potential. What's worse for her is that she seemed to have so much. Or maybe she was never that good. Didn't she always have mediocre (by world class standard, anyway) jump technique? Wouldn't she skate "clean" and then lose a bunch of points for underrotations? I don't think that's fair--I have a serious problem with ur's being worse than falls, and I've said so before, but that's the state of skating today. Either there was something seriously wrong with her jumps, or for whatever reason, the judges didn't like her and wouldn't cut her any slack. It's hard to keep motivated if that's the situation.

Also, did she ever do triple/triples? I don't think so, but I'll go check on YouTube after I type this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Either there was something seriously wrong with her jumps, or for whatever reason, the judges didn't like her and wouldn't cut her any slack. It's hard to keep motivated if that's the situation.

Also, did she ever do triple/triples? I don't think so, but I'll go check on YouTube after I type this.
    As a junior, Mirai was very fast and yes, she did 3/3's but she did get under-rotation calls. When she grew, the under-rotations got worse and she stopped attempting 3/3's, and she lost her speed. I saw her at Skate Canada in Kitchener in 2009 (the Olympic season). She finished middle of the pack with decent jumps, but her presentation was blah. No speed, very workmanlike, nothing special. People were upset because she out-jumped Lepisto who won the bronze but Lepisto lit up the ice when she skated. Much better speed, basics, and she interpreted the music rather than skating through it, which is what Mirai did.

I saw Mirai this past season at Skate Canada and I was shocked at her LP. She skated it like a bad practice session, just going through the motions. No stretch in her movements, no connection to the music. She was marginally better in her next GP event but I came away with the impression that she hated that program and wasn't going to put any effort into it whatsoever.

I think the judges liked her just fine, when she skated well, but when she didn't put much into it, she didn't get much in the way of marks. Judges are funny that way.

Custom Title
    Mirai still seems very immature for someone almost 19 now. Gracie comes off more mature and focused and levelheaded at 16.

Custom Title
    Frank wasn't a good fit for Mirai anyway. It takes a very special person to put up with him. Even Michelle dumped him eventually.

Despite Rachael Flatt being heralded as a future biochemist genius, Mirai is the one who makes witty and clever comments in interviews. I'm not sure why Flatt's parents leaked her classes to the USFSA - I don't know who is going to be impressed with BioEngineering, English literature, and Zumba. Mirai seems smart, if a bit emotional, but some people are more emotional.

I don't think the doubt originates from Mirai only. Mirai's mother seems to have a low opinion of Mirai's intelligence. Didn't she retort "it's too bad your brain isn't" when Mirai said her legs were worth gold? I'm sure Mirai could've gotten into a better college than UC Irvine, no offense to anyone who attended UC Irvine. She should go to college and see the outside world. It'll be good to get some perspective and get a break from Mama Nagasu and the skating world. She's much more capable than what she thinks she is. Mirai is under so much pressure. She only has skating in her life right now, and everyone in her life has unrealistic expectations from her, given her maturity level. I only wish she could get out of this pigeon hole of skating and breathe.

Yes, the biggest issue seems to be Mirai keeping her emotions in check when it counts. Can someone on her new team help her focus and manage her emotions when she competes? You can SHOW emotion without BEING emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    I'm sure Mirai could've gotten into a better college than UC Irvine, no offense to anyone who attended UC Irvine. She should go to college and see the outside world.
    ITA. But it looks like she still wants to continue skating, though she may not be quite sure which route to take yet down the road. And going to a state school like UCI plus living at home may be the best option to allow her skating options open.

Excellent college. She can get as good an undergraduate education at UC Irvine as at many a school with a more prestigious name.

Custom Title
    I hope Mirai bounces back. I would hate to see such a talented girl end her career on a low note.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Frank wasn't a good fit for Mirai anyway. It takes a very special person to put up with him. Even Michelle dumped him eventually.
    Frank doesn't seem hard to work with. He seems to draw a clear line between teacher and pupil, and I think for the most part this leads to the most successful results. Michelle wanted more control over strategy and training (for example, Frank didn't want her to train the more difficult 3/3's leading up to SLC) and so it became not as good a fit. Mirai is not Michelle and could probably use more guidance. Not that I think Mirai should have stayed with Frank, but I just feel like his coaching style should be defended.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Excellent college. She can get as good an undergraduate education at UC Irvine as at many a school with a more prestigious name.
    True. It's what you make out of your undergraduate experience that counts. Unless she wants to specialize in something very specific, UC Irvine seems like a good university to get a liberal arts education assuming that's what she is aiming for.

Down With It
    Sounds like Nagasu is showing desire to continue, which is good news for her fans, I guess....or is it? Why are so many sticking a fork in her now?

Sounds to me that this is what she needs- a break, a different perspective. As for her coaching situation, that will take some time to sort out, perhaps- but just because no one has heard of these coaches doesn't mean they aren't competent. No one thought much of Sato/Dungjen until Czisny's success last season, no? What Nagasu needs is a coaching situation that works for her, gets the most out of her and puts her in the best shape she can be. Doesn't have to be a "name" coach.

I just hope that Nagasu is continuing because she genuinely loves to skate, not because she feels she HAS to. Because I can relate to this- it's not much fun. I think she's on the right track taking classes and doing activities outside of skating, as that will allow her to gain some perspective.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Good news, I hope she gets a coach that works for her personality. Not all skaters are the same.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I remember Raphael Artunian being so pleased with Asada. He said she'd skate 24 hours a day if you let her and that he had to tell her to get off the ice. Big difference.
    I tend to love skaters for what I see on the ice, and it usually involves musicality: in recent years notably Kwan, Mao, YuNa, Takahashi. Interestingly, every one of those skaters seem to be well known for his/her work ethic. They skate like artists, but they all seem to train like soldiers. Like Hotspur in Shakespeare's Henry IV Part 1, they grind away on every little element, get to the end of the day, and say, "Fie on this gentle life! I want work!"

If someone could bottle and market this trait...

Custom Title
    I hope this is the right move for her. Despite what I have said about her in the past, I hope she can turn things around.

Custom Title
    I think that Mirai should be just herself when she skates. This season, I find that she tried to lost her personnality for becoming more mature. And, we can see the difference compared to the olympic season.
    I think that she should keep her personnality even if it looks immature, she skates better when she smile and in a article I read that smiling can produce hormone who contribute to have confidence mentally and reduce the stress.

If smiling can regain the Mirai that we love in the past, It's not so difficult to change for her
    Last edited by coolboogie22; 04-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast