Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mirai is not done / Splits from Frank Carroll

sidwich

Rinkside
Not many California teens wait til they are 19 to get their driver's license where mass transit is not as easy as NYC (where 'natives' often don't get their drivers license until into their mid 20's, especially if they also attend college in NYC and get jobs in NYC.) If anything it should've been a priority that would allow her mother to spend her time doing other things.

It's not the norm, but it's not as uncommon as some make it out to be. I grew up in the Los Angeles, and a number of my classmates didn't get their driver's licenses until they were 18 or 19, and a few until they were 21. And believe me, we were far from sheltered. Some families didn't want to deal with the financial issues (car payments, insurance, etc.), some families didn't think they're kids were mature enough, and honestly, some kids really didn't care about driving that much. The public transport in LA is much better than it's made out to be, and it's much better now than it was when I was growing up.

It sounds like there are probably a bunch of issues going on in Mirai's life right now. I hope she and her family can make an informed decision for her, and not make any overly hasty decisions. Especially with Carolina Kostner winning Worlds this year at the grand old age of 25, I think that it's way too soon for anyone to tell Mirai that she has to hang up her skates.

Layfan

Record Breaker
These days with so many cultures living in the U.S., it's not uncommon for people to continue living with the parents for a good while. (Especially when the current economic situation is added to that.) Everything that's old is new again. My mother and several of the aunts lived with their parents until they got married, and they didn't marry early. (They were from Eastern Europe, and it was the Depression besides.) If moving out would solve Mirai's problems, I'd say go for it--somehow a sponsor could be found--but I doubt that her situation would improve. Something inside of her needs to change, not her environment. My fingers remain crossed.
l
Yes, maybe that is why I don't find it so odd. I'm partly from a culture where parents aren't so quick to boot their kids out and the kids aren't so quick to move out. A lot of strangers are a bit quick to judge every little decision in Mirai's, even when she chooses to get her driver's license.

Now she's getting criticized for taking art classes. Art classes. Um, there have been skaters in the past who have gotten into pastimes a bit more dangerous than art classes, don't you think?

It's just a young woman who is trying to find her way in life and skating.

Of course I'm a bit sad it didn't work out with Frank and I think she might have a tricky time bouncing back from this season but she is more than capable. And if a couple of art classes make her happy, great! If you think about it, many younger skaters continue high school, at least at home, because they have to. And they still do great at skating. So I don't think a couple of college courses is something to get freaked out about. Good for her for expanding her horizons. How is she going to grow and mature otherwise?

Also, it's been interesting to read that Mirai's practices looked very good at nationals. That makes me think she in fact was working very hard all season. I hope she finds her way. Go Mirai!!!

Last edited:

louisa05

Final Flight
It's not the norm, but it's not as uncommon as some make it out to be. I grew up in the Los Angeles, and a number of my classmates didn't get their driver's licenses until they were 18 or 19, and a few until they were 21. And believe me, we were far from sheltered. Some families didn't want to deal with the financial issues (car payments, insurance, etc.), some families didn't think they're kids were mature enough, and honestly, some kids really didn't care about driving that much. The public transport in LA is much better than it's made out to be, and it's much better now than it was when I was growing up.

This study came out yesterday in several news sources. Note that by 2008, only 50% of 17 year olds in the U.S. had a driver's license.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/53864212-68/driver-percent-share-among.html.csp

I don't think it is fair to assume Mirai is somehow immature and unable to take care of herself because she delayed getting a license. Another article about this suggests, as sidwich did, that the economy is playing a role in this trend as families are avoiding the expense of another vehicle and the high price of insuring teen drivers.

brightphoton

Medalist
The fewer young drivers there are, the better, I say. In a perfect world, no one under the age of 25 would get a driver's license. Bad adult drivers don't get a free pass either. I would propose annual driving exams for them too. If only the transportation department were efficient enough to test everyone, and public transportation extensive enough for all non-drivers to adequately travel!

sarahspins

Rinkside
I didn't drive until I was nearly 18... I was honestly in no hurry because I knew I wouldn't get a car when I was 16, so I didn't really see much point in getting my license - plus by that point I was already very familiar with public transit and it didn't bother me to take the bus wherever I wanted to go. I was probably much more mature and responsible than many kids my age were.. the ability to drive or having a car doesn't make someone automatically grow up.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
My daughter is 22 and she doesn't have her license. When she can afford to pay for insurance, she can get her license. New young drivers in Ontario have to pay facility rates until they establish a safe driving history and then their rates will start to come down. They pay the same rates as someone who got drunk and killed somebody, until they can prove themselves to be a good risk.

Ina Bauer

Spectator
I hope she parts from Lori Nicole. She has given Mirai one boring program after another. Try someone else.
She should also try talking to a sports psychologist. She needs to find a way to build confidence. I even think she is scared to be a champion. She is afraid to be the one everyone is watching. I don't see her even getting things together by next season. Maybe by the next olympics she will have her act together.