Kevin van der Perren calls it a career | Golden Skate

Kevin van der Perren calls it a career

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Icenetwork has a pretty engaging interview with him on his career. Some fun notes.

• His first and last worlds were both in Nice. He said he could barely land a triple jump at that time.
  • He started skating after seeing Disney on Ice
  • He could land a 3A before he knew what a rocker or counter was

Also, a major change has been the arrival of Asian skaters. When we started, we were making fun of them. At the 2003 worlds in Washington D.C., no Japanese skater could jump triples -- besides [Takeshi] Honda. Each time we saw a Japanese competitor, we were confident that we would beat him. Well ... that has changed tremendously! It's the same with the Russians today. They have disappeared, but they are coming back strong. Look at their juniors; they are just incredible!

You know, I'll miss him. He's not someone I'll always watch, but he's someone who seems to have great love for what he does. COP has changed many things, but perhaps the most significant is how it's shortens careers. Evan Lysacek competed internationally at the senior level for just six seasons. van der Perren more than doubled that. Whenever he seemed to be on the edge of retirement, he managed to find some motivation to keep continuing on - and it's been rewarded. I hope he finds success in whatever he endeavours to do next.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Sure, he wasn't the best ARTIST on ice, but there was something about him that was just special. I admired that he stayed in the sport competing for so long and kept getting DECENT results at worst, good ones at best. I have a soft spot for the 'old guys' usually, Joubert too lol. I'm glad Kevin got to go out with a good performance at Worlds too and the 15th wasn't a bad placement even though it wasn't his best.

Btw, I don't think COP really shortens careers, Kevin just stayed longer than most guys do, even under the 6.0 system. There were tons of guys under 6.0 that only competing at Worlds for a few seasons, I'm sure - too lazy to go back and look at exact history (Plushenko notwithstanding :p). Kevin is like Elvis Stojko or Todd Eldredge with the longer than average length of his career.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
Haha, apparently he went to Worlds in 2000 unprepared but had to because there was no one other *decent* skaters in Belgium. And the Japanese skater comment is hilarious, 'cause who is laughing now :p

He's a fun character, and I was so happy for him after his long program :) He's so honest too - "I wanted to end my career at Euros because I can get a higher placement there than in World's" xD I admire his honesty.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think he means it this time.
he had a pretty successful career. no regrets :agree:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Kevin is essentially a 6.0 era skater. I have enjoyed seeing him do so well with a final clean program, though I have not seen it. He has much to be proud of, always in the mix of top Europeans in his day. Best Wishes.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I will always fondly remember him as the skater that Dick Button loves... LOVES to point out as someone who spots the rotation in his jumps and spins, because of his dance background and training, you see. Which inevitably made me wonder, really? He has dance training? Shouldn't he move better then?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always liked Kevin, and adored his joyful reactions when he skated really well. Wishing him all the best in his future.

seniorita

Record Breaker
What does it mean the one who spots the rotation in jumps and spins?

I love Kevin, I cant imagine Euros without him :( I think he leaves now calm as the Belgian no2 is a pretty good skater :)
So hilarious the asian comment, who laughs now indeed!:laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kevin's LP in Nice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyMQMNeq_Q

He doesn't do it any more. Spotting means his head turns before a rotation, for each rotation. Before Kevin got his quad, he did his triples that way. Apparently, ballet dancers do fouettes that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotting_(dance_technique)

The wiki has a gif of a ballet dancer spotting during fouettes! :party2:

And it was Kevin laughing at himself, re the young Japanese. He's a good scout. I'll miss him.

He's about the only guy out there that could maintain decent flow through 3/3/3/'s , and I loved that he had one in his final skate.

Good luck to him in the future.

Apparently, Jenna is going to keep skating till Sochi.

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I was lucky enough to see his last stake in Nice. I had goosebumps seeing his LP- he's one of those "oldies" 6.0 era skaters I'll miss! Gutsy 3-3-3 yeah!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was always one of my favorites even though he wasn't an artist, he just seemed like a nice guy. And you always want nice guys to do well... IF he's really retiring, I wish him well in the next phase of his life. :)