Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: What Now for Mao?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    544

    What Now for Mao?

    What now for Mao??

    Transition phase or past her best?

    Can she comeback, i hope she does

  2. #2
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,087
    Put some weight/muscle back on.

  3. #3
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,138
    She has demonstrated her incredible mental strength on so many occasions that that's one thing I just don't worry about with her. In fact, I look forward to being awed by Mao in the future many more times.

    Regarding her jump technique revisions, I think the triple flip-triple loop is already there and since she was jumping the salchow in practice with a smoothness I hadn't seen before, that's pretty done as well. So it's just the lutz and the new triple-axel now, and I do worry about what practicing that new axel technique will do to her body! Though I know she's in good hands, I do worry about injuries because there's just no way to prevent that 100%. But barring injuries, all the work she's put in these past two years should finally come together next season, I hope.

  4. #4
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    28
    It's a coming back stage. These past two years have been difficult, esp. with the loss of her mother and everything else. I think she just needs to get back to her best form, which was during the olympics. Hopefully if she competes to Sochi she'll be at her best again!

  5. #5
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    95
    Eat at least one banana a day.

  6. #6
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,855
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Put some weight/muscle back on.
    she is so frail looking in the ice, I'm afraid her body will fall apart
    and she needs to stop the 3A obsession, its not working for her and hurting her chances
    but I know she will be back in full strength soon

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    She has demonstrated her incredible mental strength on so many occasions that that's one thing I just don't worry about with her. In fact, I look forward to being awed by Mao in the future many more times.

    Regarding her jump technique revisions, I think the triple flip-triple loop is already there and since she was jumping the salchow in practice with a smoothness I hadn't seen before, that's pretty done as well. So it's just the lutz and the new triple-axel now, and I do worry about what practicing that new axel technique will do to her body! Though I know she's in good hands, I do worry about injuries because there's just no way to prevent that 100%. But barring injuries, all the work she's put in these past two years should finally come together next season, I hope.


    She is same age with Yuna.22 years old. So, she should be retired like Yuna.

    your Quote below. If you are not a hypocrite, your saying should apply to MAO.



    And, actually Mao lost her something special. She lost 'It' factor.

    I don't see anything special she used to have From her.

    Her placement should be behind Kexin Zhang in Worlds. Her PCS was too overrated in Nice.



    [[[[[Whoever thinks Yuna could come back as strong as she was at Vancouver, or even 80%, is being unrealistic. Yuna is now 22-years-old, and she has been out of serious training for a year now, and has competed only once in the last two years. Had she continued training after Worlds 2011, there would have been the possibility, but not any more. Even if she did resume training now, after such a long layoff period, getting back into shape would entail a larger risk of injury than before, and she was already training with a hernia as it was. And even if everything went smoothly, it would take a year or more likely 2 years to re-learn everything; by then she would be 24-years-old, which is quite a mature age for a figure skater and for that alone, she would be at a disadvantage particularly for someone with Yuna's body type that is prone to injury.]]]]
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-03-2012 at 09:36 AM.

  8. #8
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mao's mind has been set on the gold medal in Sochi since the last Olymipcs.

  9. #9
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny 80 View Post
    She is same age with Yuna.22 years old. So, she should be retired like Yuna.

    your Quote below. If you are not a hypocrite, your saying should apply to MAO

    [[[[[Whoever thinks Yuna could come back as strong as she was at Vancouver, or even 80%, is being unrealistic. Yuna is now 22-years-old, and she has been out of serious training for a year now, and has competed only once in the last two years. Had she continued training after Worlds 2011, there would have been the possibility, but not any more. Even if she did resume training now, after such a long layoff period, getting back into shape would entail a larger risk of injury than before, and she was already training with a hernia as it was. And even if everything went smoothly, it would take a year or more likely 2 years to re-learn everything; by then she would be 24-years-old, which is quite a mature age for a figure skater and for that alone, she would be at a disadvantage particularly for someone with Yuna's body type that is prone to injury.]]]]
    Look mate, don't you know how dangerous it is for athletes to retrain and get back to their peak state after a long layoff period? Chances of injury actually increases when they do that. I think it would have been reasonable for Yuna to take a season lightly like she did 2011. In fact, her body might have even benefitted for resting but still basically maintaining her physique. But even at Worlds 2011, she wasn't at 100% form, and it's been one year since then and recent photos show that she's really lost her muscles. Getting back to her peak form would therefore be more dangerous for her than if she had maintained her physique these past two years.

    I definitely feel that injury threat is Mao's biggest enemy, and I worry very much about that.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Look mate, don't you know how dangerous it is for athletes to retrain and get back to their peak state after a long layoff period? Chances of injury actually increases when they do that. I think it would have been reasonable for Yuna to take a season lightly like she did 2011. In fact, her body might have even benefitted for resting but still basically maintaining her physique. But even at Worlds 2011, she wasn't at 100% form, and it's been one year since then and recent photos show that she's really lost her muscles. Getting back to her peak form would therefore be more dangerous for her than if she had maintained her physique these past two years.

    I definitely feel that injury threat is Mao's biggest enemy, and I worry very much about that.


    I think you're very presumptuous and even hypocritic.

    Whether they comeback or not is none of your business.

    you are not their parents or one of their team. It's totally up to them.



    Don't worry about them. they are fierce competitors.

    They know themselves better than You.
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-03-2012 at 10:08 AM.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Mao wants the OGM, that is her ultimate goal. Anything along the way of reaching the goal is just practice. I admire her for being able to put emotions aside, and continue on competing after the death of her mother. It takes a lot of courage.

    She does look very frail, hopefully things will change in the next season. Time heals most wounds, she will be back. Never count her out.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny 80 View Post
    She is same age with Yuna.22 years old. So, she should be retired like Yuna.
    I don't see what Yuna has to do with Mao; so with your reasoning, anyone who turns 22 should retire, like Yuna? (BTW, I don't think Yuna ever announced her retirement)

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Mao wants the OGM, that is her ultimate goal. Anything along the way of reaching the goal is just practice. I admire her for being able to put emotions aside, and continue on competing after the death of her mother. It takes a lot of courage.
    That's the problem. Asada doesn't care about results of competitions other than Olympics anymore. The 3A is more important. But in this judging sport, continuous poor results and the attitude of stubbornness won't give good impressions to the judges. She lost in Vancouver not because of her errors on ice but the refusal to make any efforts to win the judges' favors.

  14. #14
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,087
    NMURA, do you mean "***** for points" in the IJS system when you say "refusal to make any efforts to win the judges' favors"?

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,672
    Mao could have continue with her 3F-3T. Could have done a lot of things differently. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •