What Now for Mao?

russell30

Final Flight
What now for Mao??

Transition phase or past her best?

Can she comeback, i hope she does:biggrin:

hurrah

Medalist
She has demonstrated her incredible mental strength on so many occasions that that's one thing I just don't worry about with her. In fact, I look forward to being awed by Mao in the future many more times.

Regarding her jump technique revisions, I think the triple flip-triple loop is already there and since she was jumping the salchow in practice with a smoothness I hadn't seen before, that's pretty done as well. So it's just the lutz and the new triple-axel now, and I do worry about what practicing that new axel technique will do to her body! Though I know she's in good hands, I do worry about injuries because there's just no way to prevent that 100%. But barring injuries, all the work she's put in these past two years should finally come together next season, I hope.

AmuChan363

Rinkside
It's a coming back stage. These past two years have been difficult, esp. with the loss of her mother and everything else. I think she just needs to get back to her best form, which was during the olympics. Hopefully if she competes to Sochi she'll be at her best again!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Put some weight/muscle back on.

she is so frail looking in the ice, I'm afraid her body will fall apart
and she needs to stop the 3A obsession, its not working for her and hurting her chances :disapp:
but I know she will be back in full strength soon

johnny 80

Match Penalty
She has demonstrated her incredible mental strength on so many occasions that that's one thing I just don't worry about with her. In fact, I look forward to being awed by Mao in the future many more times.

Regarding her jump technique revisions, I think the triple flip-triple loop is already there and since she was jumping the salchow in practice with a smoothness I hadn't seen before, that's pretty done as well. So it's just the lutz and the new triple-axel now, and I do worry about what practicing that new axel technique will do to her body! Though I know she's in good hands, I do worry about injuries because there's just no way to prevent that 100%. But barring injuries, all the work she's put in these past two years should finally come together next season, I hope.

She is same age with Yuna.22 years old. So, she should be retired like Yuna.

your Quote below. If you are not a hypocrite, your saying should apply to MAO.

And, actually Mao lost her something special. She lost 'It' factor.

I don't see anything special she used to have From her.

Her placement should be behind Kexin Zhang in Worlds. Her PCS was too overrated in Nice.

[[[[[Whoever thinks Yuna could come back as strong as she was at Vancouver, or even 80%, is being unrealistic. Yuna is now 22-years-old, and she has been out of serious training for a year now, and has competed only once in the last two years. Had she continued training after Worlds 2011, there would have been the possibility, but not any more. Even if she did resume training now, after such a long layoff period, getting back into shape would entail a larger risk of injury than before, and she was already training with a hernia as it was. And even if everything went smoothly, it would take a year or more likely 2 years to re-learn everything; by then she would be 24-years-old, which is quite a mature age for a figure skater and for that alone, she would be at a disadvantage particularly for someone with Yuna's body type that is prone to injury.]]]]

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist

your Quote below. If you are not a hypocrite, your saying should apply to MAO

[[[[[Whoever thinks Yuna could come back as strong as she was at Vancouver, or even 80%, is being unrealistic. Yuna is now 22-years-old, and she has been out of serious training for a year now, and has competed only once in the last two years. Had she continued training after Worlds 2011, there would have been the possibility, but not any more. Even if she did resume training now, after such a long layoff period, getting back into shape would entail a larger risk of injury than before, and she was already training with a hernia as it was. And even if everything went smoothly, it would take a year or more likely 2 years to re-learn everything; by then she would be 24-years-old, which is quite a mature age for a figure skater and for that alone, she would be at a disadvantage particularly for someone with Yuna's body type that is prone to injury.]]]]

Look mate, don't you know how dangerous it is for athletes to retrain and get back to their peak state after a long layoff period? Chances of injury actually increases when they do that. I think it would have been reasonable for Yuna to take a season lightly like she did 2011. In fact, her body might have even benefitted for resting but still basically maintaining her physique. But even at Worlds 2011, she wasn't at 100% form, and it's been one year since then and recent photos show that she's really lost her muscles. Getting back to her peak form would therefore be more dangerous for her than if she had maintained her physique these past two years.

I definitely feel that injury threat is Mao's biggest enemy, and I worry very much about that.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Look mate, don't you know how dangerous it is for athletes to retrain and get back to their peak state after a long layoff period? Chances of injury actually increases when they do that. I think it would have been reasonable for Yuna to take a season lightly like she did 2011. In fact, her body might have even benefitted for resting but still basically maintaining her physique. But even at Worlds 2011, she wasn't at 100% form, and it's been one year since then and recent photos show that she's really lost her muscles. Getting back to her peak form would therefore be more dangerous for her than if she had maintained her physique these past two years.

I definitely feel that injury threat is Mao's biggest enemy, and I worry very much about that.

I think you're very presumptuous and even hypocritic.

Whether they comeback or not is none of your business.

you are not their parents or one of their team. It's totally up to them.

Don't worry about them. they are fierce competitors.

They know themselves better than You.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
Mao wants the OGM, that is her ultimate goal. Anything along the way of reaching the goal is just practice. I admire her for being able to put emotions aside, and continue on competing after the death of her mother. It takes a lot of courage.

She does look very frail, hopefully things will change in the next season. Time heals most wounds, she will be back. Never count her out.

chloepoco

Medalist

I don't see what Yuna has to do with Mao; so with your reasoning, anyone who turns 22 should retire, like Yuna? (BTW, I don't think Yuna ever announced her retirement)

NMURA

Medalist
Mao wants the OGM, that is her ultimate goal. Anything along the way of reaching the goal is just practice. I admire her for being able to put emotions aside, and continue on competing after the death of her mother. It takes a lot of courage.

That's the problem. Asada doesn't care about results of competitions other than Olympics anymore. The 3A is more important. But in this judging sport, continuous poor results and the attitude of stubbornness won't give good impressions to the judges. She lost in Vancouver not because of her errors on ice but the refusal to make any efforts to win the judges' favors.

mskater93

Record Breaker
NMURA, do you mean "***** for points" in the IJS system when you say "refusal to make any efforts to win the judges' favors"?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mao could have continue with her 3F-3T. Could have done a lot of things differently. Oh well.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think we Mao fans should be patient. She has had to deal with so much in her life this year. Losing a parent is hard enough; combine that with the pressure of being your country's marquee female athlete and it's easy to see how having so much on her mind can negatively impact her results. I am confident she will have better results. I don't know if she will regain a consistent 3A, but she will need that or a 3/3 to compete for gold in the future.

That's the problem. Asada doesn't care about results of competitions other than Olympics anymore. The 3A is more important. But in this judging sport, continuous poor results and the attitude of stubbornness won't give good impressions to the judges. She lost in Vancouver not because of her errors on ice but the refusal to make any efforts to win the judges' favors.

I'm not sure anyone could have beaten YuNa on that particular night in Vancouver. But Mao did an astonishing job, with three triple axels in two days...and she almost pulled it off.

I think the problem now is that she isn't able to provide three triple axels, or even one a lot of the time. As Kurt Browning used to say, her triple axel is on vacation. So she needs to revise her approach and concentrate on other jumps that get her points. I bet she can do it. She's a powerhouse, and she's also an artistic skater. That combination comes along very rarely. At her best, no one in the world can touch her. I hope she's able to retrieve her best by next season, but I'll love her no matter what. I could watch her skate all day.

hurrah

Medalist
Mao could have continue with her 3F-3T. Could have done a lot of things differently. Oh well.

If only she'd gotten a jump coach six years ago who would give her a stable flip and lutz. If only her mother's illness hadn't made living in Japan an imperative. If only, if only. But she did it her own way and she's got no regrets. And her coming back to Japan definitely encouraged the growth of figure skating in Japan, so lots of good things happened as well.

BTW, as long as she has 3F-3L and 2A-3T, she has no need for a 3F-3T. And if she gets the 3-lutz, OGM is nearly guaranteed, and if she gets her new 3-axel down pat, nothing could take away OGM from her. But Sochi's still two years away, and anything can happen in between.

^ Nothing whatsoever guaranteed, or practically guaranteed, about an OGM, much as I might wish it were locked up for a renewed, fitter Mao.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If only she'd gotten a jump coach six years ago who would give her a stable flip and lutz. If only her mother's illness hadn't made living in Japan an imperative. If only, if only. But she did it her own way and she's got no regrets. And her coming back to Japan definitely encouraged the growth of figure skating in Japan, so lots of good things happened as well.

BTW, as long as she has 3F-3L and 2A-3T, she has no need for a 3F-3T. And if she gets the 3-lutz, OGM is nearly guaranteed, and if she gets her new 3-axel down pat, nothing could take away OGM from her. But Sochi's still two years away, and anything can happen.

3F-3L is just too hard to get ratified. Even powerhouse jumpers like Miki couldn't get most of her 3loop combo ratified.
3F-3T should be her combo.

I agree, no regrets on her part. A lot of regrets for fans, though. Coulda woulda shoulda, fans said.